Join our zoo community

Current Mammals In New Zealand Zoos

Discussion in 'New Zealand' started by Chlidonias, 27 Apr 2010.

1. Chlidonias

Chlidonias Moderator Staff Member 15+ year member

yes it is mostly deletions with an occasional move between/to zoos. Barely ever anything new to add. (The bird list is even worse for that, although at least there the deletions will always be very few because most are well-established in private hands).

I wasn't sure if Auckland's red kangaroo was their only one. They really should get more wallabies to compliment the devil enclosure. Wellington's Australian section is advertised to have parma and tammar wallabies, so that's something.

2. zooboy28

zooboy28 Well-Known Member

I think they really should get some echidnas to complement their devils! The Parmas were in the area which had a digger in it the last time I went, so if they are down to one of a phase out species, I doubt it will be displayed again, unless its put back into the main walkthrough (which I imagine it will).

I'm most interested to see what they do with the aviaries that were down there, especially the big cockatoo one, hopefully that gets some attention and some nice species, and isn't demolished.

3. Chlidonias

and Jumbo has left the building! The African elephant at the ex-Franklin Zoo is now at San Diego Zoo in the USA.

4. Chlidonias

small edits to the list have been made:

DELETIONS:
    *I have removed African elephant from the list now that Jumbo is at San Diego
    *I have removed addra gazelle from the list as it appears the last one at Orana is no more
    *I have removed Auckland from the red kangaroo holdings as it appears their last one is no more (the species is still at Orana)

ADDITIONS:
    *I have added Tasmanian devil for Wellington (and soon to be Auckland and Orana) [http://www.zoochat.com/17/tasmanian-devils-new-zealand-327683/]

5. Chlidonias

A couple of changes to the list:

Additions: four Tasmanian devils now at Auckland Zoo.

Deletions: the last two African hunting dogs at Wellington Zoo were put to sleep this week due to old age. They plan on importing a new pack this year.

I have also added an appendix to the bottom of the mammal list on page one. It is as below:

APPENDIX
    Since this list was first started in 2010 there have been several species lost to NZ collections and a few new ones gained. They are as follows.

MAMMALS LOST TO NZ ZOOS SINCE 2010:

*African Elephant (Loxodonta africana): the only one in NZ was exported to San Diego Zoo (USA) in November 2013 following the closure of Franklin Zoo in April 2012. The elephant (Jumbo, later renamed Mila) had been in NZ since 1978 as a circus elephant. Since November 2011 she was housed at Franklin Zoo.

*Collared Peccary (Pecari tajacu): the last three in NZ were put to sleep due to old age in May 2011 at Wellington Zoo. They were the remnants of a formerly large NZ and Australian population derived entirely from one pair imported to Wellington Zoo from Canada in 1969. The only ones left in Australasia are at Adelaide Zoo and Melbourne Zoo.

*Nilgai (Boselaphus tragocamelus): the last ones died of old age at Hamilton Zoo in 2010.

*Addra Gazelle (Nanger dama): the last one probably died of old age at Orana Park in 2012. It had been off-display for many years and was the remnant of an import by Orana Park in the early 1990s which never prospered.

*Chacma Baboon (Papio ursinus): formerly common in NZ zoos and circuses. The last two individuals were at Auckland Zoo (via Franklin Zoo) and Zion, both dying of old age in 2011.

*Vervet (Chlorocebus pygerythrus): the last individual died of old age at Pouakai Zoo in 2012. Their stock was originally imported from Perth Zoo in 1994.

*Emperor Tamarin (Saguinus imperator): after the initial import in February 2008 of a pair to Wellington Zoo from Zoo Osnabrück in Germany (via Melbourne Zoo, Australia), the female died, another female was imported in July 2011 from Paignton Zoo (UK) and then died, and finally the last individual (the male) was exported to Mogo Zoo (Australia) in mid-2013.

*Asian Golden Cat (Catopuma temminckii): several animals were imported from Australia between 1999 and 2008, to Auckland Zoo and Hamilton Zoo. Although there were several births the cats never prospered in NZ and the last three individuals were exported to Europe in early 2011.

MAMMALS NEW TO NZ ZOOS SINCE 2010:
    (Just missing out by date were Dingo to Wellington Zoo in 2008, Nyala to Wellington Zoo in late 2009, and Fishing Cat to Hamilton Zoo in late 2009)

*Pigmy Marmoset (Cebuella pygmaea): one pair first imported by Wellington Zoo in July 2010 from Banham Zoo (UK), with the first birth occurring in October 2010. In January 2011 Auckland Zoo imported a female from Twycross Zoo (UK) and a male from Mogo Zoo (Australia). In February 2011 three more (a mother and two sons) were imported by Wellington Zoo from Newquay Zoo (UK), two of which were then transferred to Hamilton Zoo. There have been multiple births in NZ from these imports.

*Bolivian Squirrel Monkeys (Saimiri boliviensis): thirty individuals were imported from France by Wellington Zoo in February 2012. The monkeys were divided between Wellington Zoo, Auckland Zoo and Brooklands Zoo. There have been many births since the importation.

*Tasmanian Devil (Sarcophilus harrisonii): four individuals imported by Wellington Zoo in December 2013 and four by Auckland Zoo in April 2014. Orana Park to follow. They are advocacy animals, surplus from the Australian breeding programme.

Last edited: 20 Apr 2014
  6. Chlidonias

the total numbers of antelope in NZ as of December last year – pretty depressing!

*Blackbuck: 6.4 at Hamilton
    *Springbok: 1.2 at Auckland (post-reproductive and male castrated) and 4.6 at Orana (I think the males mostly castrated)
    *Common Waterbuck: 2.2 at Orana and 0.3 at Hamilton (from Orana)
    *Nyala: 1.4 at Wellington
    *Scimitar-horned Oryx: 2.1 at Orana (at least one of the males being castrated)
    *Sable: two females at Orana
    *Sitatunga: two females at Hamilton (post-reproductive)

7. zooboy28

Very depressing indeed. And no sign of any imports happening :(

8. Astrobird

Astrobird Well-Known Member 10+ year member

what happened to all the female Blackbuck? their future seems grim with those sort of numbers. Are they kept in 2 groups, a breeding group and an all male group?

9. zooboy28

They certainly used to be kept in two groups, but I don't know if they still are or not. The numbers have definitely dwindled :(

10. Chlidonias

I have now done a major re-write of this NZ Mammal list to include origin data for every species currently held in NZ. There are a few gaps obviously, but I have done as complete a job as I can. For the widely held (i.e. common) species the data is mostly rather general but for a lot of species I could be quite specific as to origins.

I have also made a companion list of formerly-held species: http://www.zoochat.com/17/former-mammals-new-zealand-zoos-1980-a-371116/

Last edited: 3 Jul 2014
  11. AskAlice

AskAlice Well-Known Member

Servals at Zion

The last Serval at Zion was Zoe she died around mid July 2012 (approximately) she was aged 14 years old. There are no longer any servals at Kingdom of Zion (Formerly Zion Wildlife Gardens) Both animals (Silas and Zoe) were born at Pouakai Zoo in New Plymouth:)

12. Chlidonias

thanks for that. I wasn't going to put where the "gone" servals had come from - I only put it in for Orana Park's ones because they were kept off-display for almost a decade (so most people wouldn't have even known the zoo had them) whereas Zion's, Franklin's and Pouakai's were all on-display. However if I can find out where the others came from I can add it all in just for interest's sake.

EDIT: I have just added in the last year each zoo had them (except for Pouakai because I couldn't find that date).

Last edited: 18 Jul 2014
  13. Jalur_Tiger_Cub

Jalur_Tiger_Cub Well-Known Member

They are kept in 2 groups, the males (3? adults & 2 juveniles born at Hamilton) are on display in the Savannah paddock while the females & 1 male are mostly off display though sometimes have access to the paddock where the Sitatunga live.

14. Jabiru96

Jabiru96 Well-Known Member

Do you know the history of Wellington's chimps? I believe most of the ones in the current group are somehow linked with Taronga (some of the breeding females in the group came from Taronga I think).

15. Chlidonias

several of the chimps at Wellington did indeed come from Taronga. I'm not sure how I managed to miss that out of the bit I wrote!

See this thread for birth dates at which zoo: http://www.zoochat.com/17/chimpanzees-23496/ (the thread is a few years old and more babies have been born at Wellington since then).

16. Jabiru96

Jabiru96 Well-Known Member

Thanks for that.

So pretty much all of the current breeding females at Wellington were born at Taronga.

17. Chlidonias

that is correct (the breeding females at Wellington are Taronga-born; the breeding males are Wellington-born).

Note also that there is a mistake in the list on the chimp thread I linked to. Gombe was born at Wellington in 1993 (he is now at Monarto), not born at Taronga in 1988.

Last edited: 10 Aug 2014
  18. Cassidy Casuar

Cassidy Casuar Well-Known Member Premium Member 5+ year member

19. Chlidonias

cool, thanks for that. The relevant bit of the article:
    I have seen on some NZ hunting sites that they are a species available for "canned hunts", but I think hybrids are probably used for those and not the pure ones (and that is only my assumption).

20. Chlidonias

and while I'm here, a couple of changes to the thread previously:

*Wellington's male Golden Lion Tamarin died in August, leaving them with just a female.

*Orana imported two female North African Crested Porcupines last year to go with their old original female. They are intending to import a male to breed.

*I added Mesopotamian Fallow Deer to the list because I discovered that there are a couple of dozen in NZ (originally imported by a deer farmer in the 1980s). They are pure stock, unlike those in Australia which are all hybrids created by inseminating European Fallow Deer with imported sperm of Mesopotamian Fallows.

*Wellington has Caracals!!! They will be going on display in about a week's time.

Last edited: 1 Mar 2016