Join our zoo community

Current Mammals In New Zealand Zoos

Discussion in 'New Zealand' started by Chlidonias, 27 Apr 2010.

1. Chlidonias

Chlidonias Moderator Staff Member

not for no reason, no. They aren't allowed to be imported because there isn't an import standard for them (which is a legal document detailing, among other things, the prevention of diseases or other risks to the country's native wildlife and economy from that species). If zoos want to import hippos then they need to apply to have the legislation put in place to allow hippos to be imported.

No animal can be imported unless there is an import standard for that species. If it can be shown that adding a species to the allowed list has no biosecurity risk, then it may be added (or it may not).

2. Chlidonias

Last edited: 11 Mar 2017
  3. Chlidonias

and now they have imported a male from Port Lympne in the UK, making 1.2 at Hamilton Zoo. (From the Hamilton Zoo news thread).

Additionally, Auckland Zoo has imported a male golden lion tamarin from Mogo Zoo.

4. Chlidonias

a couple of important changes to the list.

Maggie the Grey-headed Flying Fox at Auckland Zoo (but off-display for a long while due to her age) appears to have died some time recently, either late last year or some time this year. She was the only one in the country and would have been about 24 years old.

The female Bongo at Wellington Zoo was exported to Taronga Zoo in May this year, but I think destined for TWPZ. She was also the only one in the country (having been imported in 2015 specifically to be exported later to Australia).

ZooBoyNZ and zooboy28 like this.
  5. Zoofan15

Zoofan15 Well-Known Member

I had no idea Maggie was still alive up until recently. I saw her when I did an Auckland Zoo sleepover in the 2000s. She came right up to the mesh when our group went for a night time tour. Maggie was born 1992.

6. Chlidonias

yes, I know she was alive last year because I specifically checked when I was doing an update. Not sure of whether she died later that year or this year though.

7. Chlidonias

Auckland Zoo no longer has Springbok, I have just learned (from the Auckland Zoo thread via @ZooBoyNZ).

The two they had left, a male and female, were born in 1999 and 2000 at Auckland Zoo, so presumably died of old age. They bring to an end a twenty-year run of the species at Auckland, which started keeping them in 1997 (with 1.2 from Orana Park).

The only ones left are at Orana now, with fewer than ten animals there.

ZooBoyNZ likes this.
  8. Chlidonias

The three orangutans at Auckland Zoo (one male and one female Bornean Orangutans, and a female hybrid) moved to Orana Park last night/this morning. They are the only orangutans in the country.

Auckland Zoo orangutans arrive for stay in Chch

9. Chlidonias

Butterfly Creek now has a group of five Small-clawed Otters from Perth Zoo. They aren't on display until next month (about two weeks away) but they announced it a little while ago (16 November) on their various social media outlets.

Last edited: 29 Nov 2017
  10. Chlidonias

11. Chlidonias

12. Zoofan15

13. Chlidonias

That's interesting. I can't see any announcements by the zoo about the death, but they have removed cheetah from their website.

14. Chlidonias

15. Zoofan15

I see the notes for New Zealand Fur Seal at Auckland Zoo say they have 1 fur seal (despite having 3 around 5 years ago). Did the other 2 die, or were they relocated? I'd imagine they would all be around 10-15 years old now so well into middle age if they are still alive.

I see also that the Sub Antartic fur seal is absent from Auckland Zoo's website, not sure if that has passed away or if it just doesn't have a page yet?

16. Chlidonias

17. driftaguy

driftaguy Well-Known Member

Auckland Zoo have a 12 year old Sub-Antarctic fur seal called Orua and a 14 year old New Zealand fur seal called Kaiako

18. Zoofan15

Thank you @driftaguy. What happened to the other two NZ Fur Seals - Moana and Atamai? I believe they were both younger than Kaiako but could be wrong.

19. driftaguy

driftaguy Well-Known Member

I'm not sure, I only asked about their current fur seals on Twitter.

20. wombatfish

wombatfish New Member

Orana Park now has 8 Wild dogs on display again

Chlidonias likes this.