Join our zoo community

(Czech) circuses place large carnivores in the shelters because of the covid

Discussion in 'Czech Republic' started by Jana, 15 Dec 2020.

1. Jana

Jana Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Cirkusy kvůli covidu dávají šelmy do útulků - Novinky.cz
    The (Czech) circuses put their large carnivores in the shelters because of the covid

Previously, visitors went to animal rescue stations to look at injured birds or local wild animals. However, the time is coming when lions, tigers and other beasts will peek at them from the cages.

The circuses received the first blow in the form of an amendment to the law banning dressage (of wild animals), the second being a pandemic, which deprived them of income. And so they must now get rid even of the animals allowed to live with them by the law. Even many private breeders already entrust their animals to rescue stations.

"Three lionesses from the circus, which stopped performing five years ago, are pushing us (to accept them), but the pandemic also deprived them of the opportunity to keep them and let them live. They have nothing, they have nowhere (to keep them). Another breeder, who was hired by circuses as tamer, now wants to give us four lions here. Plus I have to accept three more lionesses from Mr. Ludvík Berousek, who has them for a temporary period in Bašt. These also belonged to the circus performer, who stopped performing. Mr. Berousek has a hundred beasts there in Bášť. He can't take another one, "Věra Aladzasová-Přibylová, who runs the animal rescue station in Libeň, Prague, told Právo newspaper.

"The Sultan Circus has also ended, it has four tigers. We have also negotiated with Mr. Karel Berousek. And then I got a tiger gift, which I have nowhere to put because I don't have money for a cage. Circus Arlet, which ended this year, still managed to place the beasts in some Italian menagerie. But foreign shelters are slowly full and there is no one in the Czech Republic who would say: well, I will take the animals, "points out Přibylová this problem.

"Zoos have their breeding plans with purebred animals included in managed programs and are not interested in other animals. The zoo is not a warehouse or a shelter. In addition, the gardens have their founders, they will subsidy only certain quarters and running costs. Which zoological garden will build another pavilion for tens of millions to fill circus lions in it? ”Asks Přibylová.

"The Sultan Circus is ending. My father ran a world-class circus and that can no longer be sustained. Abroad, circuses received millions of euros and were granted exemptions (during covid). The Czech Republic is just destroying us. We asked for money at least for food, but we didn't get anything. We have been home since March. We had Prague planned for the autumn. It fell too. We have no sponsors. We can´t afford it anymore, "said owner Karel Berousek.

"And then the law banning dressage came. However, we now cannot feed even the animals we have anymore. We're so sorry. We have a relationship with them, "said Berousek.

"We put some animals in foreign parks to have a good home. We are gradually leaving the winter quarters of our circus in Přívory in Všetaty. Even after we have sold a family house in Prague, we can no longer afford the winter quarters. We negotiated with Mrs. Přibylová. We will leave her cages here and help her with the building modifications, "Berousek revealed.

"At this place in Libeň, we can't take care of all the animals that I already know that breeders and circuses want to give to us. Therefore, as an association, we decided to buy the winter quarters of the Sultan circus and create a home there for unwanted beasts. So if we manage to get support, subsidies and other help, "Přibylová describes her plans.

From 1 February next year, the ban on dressage of newborn animals after 1 January 2022 and the ban on the reproduction of carnivores in private ownership apply. "In addition, a decree is being prepared stipulating the conditions under which these animals are to be kept, and there will be such dimensions that no private owner will comply. At present, even zoos do not. So even zoos will have to get rid of some large carnivores, because not all of them can fit in there, "adds Přibylová.