Join our zoo community

Czech zoo trip planning advice

Discussion in 'Czech Republic' started by Cobi, 5 Jun 2023.

1. Cobi

Cobi Well-Known Member

I am planning on making a Czech zoo trip later this year, probably in September.

My plan is to be based in Prague for about ten days and to make day trips to other zoos using only public transport.

Which zoos would people suggest are best to include under these circumstances? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

oflory likes this.
  2. oflory

oflory Well-Known Member 10+ year member Premium Member

If you are interested in chameleons, Zoo Zajezd is a must - easily reached from central Prague via a tram and then a bus - the journey takes a shade over an hour.

Plzen is also probably a must - incredible species diversity and packed full of rarities. It is easily reachable by train from Prague, then a short walk from the station to the zoo. Plzen is also a very pretty city in its own right.

Gil and Cobi like this.
  3. Jana

Jana Well-Known Member 15+ year member

All larger Czech zoos are doable as day trips by public transport from Prague - in theory. You will have to plan correctly, you might spend long hours on travel and dont have as long time at some zoo as you would like, but it´s possible.

You might consider to divide your trip in two parts. And move your "base" to Olomouc (or Brno) for a few days. Olomouc is ideal central starting point for collections in east part of the country (Zlin + Ostrava).

When you plan, look also a little over the teller. For example Dresden zoo is very nice place and just 2 hours by direct train from Prague. Or Vienna zoo - just 1,5 hour from Brno, and considered in TOP3 best zoos in Europe.

To assess potential collection on their "attractivity", check ZTL and maybe also their attendance figures.

(BTW The best Czech zoos are Prague, Zlin, Dvur Kralove, Ostrava and Plzen.)

Antoine, Gil, oflory and 1 other person like this.
  4. Mo Hassan

Mo Hassan Well-Known Member Premium Member 5+ year member

Plzen for sure, and Dvur Kralove as well if you can. I visited Brno and Decin as well a few months ago: Decin is small but not too far from Prague by train; I stayed in Brno so can't comment on how long it takes to get to from Prague but it is on the eastern side of the country.

Also, make at least 2 visits to Prague Zoo if you can - it's huge and hilly.

oflory and Cobi like this.
  5. Dassie rat

Dassie rat Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Cobi likes this.
  6. Dassie rat

Dassie rat Well-Known Member 10+ year member

I recommend Plzen. When I went, it had many XYZ animals, some of which are not found in any other zoo. There are also large ABC animals, but some of these seem to be in cramped enclosures.

Cobi likes this.
  7. Cobi

Cobi Well-Known Member

Thank you for these responses. I spent some time looking at maps and the zoo locations this afternoon and think I will have to either focus just on Prague and the nearer zoos or do as @Jana suggests and split my time between Prague and Brno or Olomouc.

I have already been to Dresden and Vienna so I think I’ll keep to Czechia on this trip.

Last edited: 5 Jun 2023
    Mo Hassan likes this.
  8. muskox2262

muskox2262 Member

Děčín and Ústí nad Labem combination is doable in one day quite easily, Děčín opens at 8:00 so I would recommend going there first.

Cobi likes this.
  9. Cobi

Cobi Well-Known Member

That’s good to know, I was wondering if that might be a possibility.

10. HOMIN96

HOMIN96 Well-Known Member 10+ year member

From Plzen's train station it's 3 km walk, that is not really short :D Also why would you walk when there is a tram+tram or tram+bus public transport option.

Mo Hassan likes this.
  11. oflory

oflory Well-Known Member 10+ year member Premium Member

It's a very pretty walk, plus I had wild siskin, green woodpecker, coypu etc when I walked from the station to the zoo earlier this year! I'd say walk and enjoy seeing a new city!

12. Slyhk

Slyhk Member

I can't seem to access the Plzen zoo webpage, is their webpage down?

13. PossumRoach

PossumRoach Well-Known Member 5+ year member

It seems to work for me. Did you use this link?

Zoo | Zoo Plzeň

14. Slyhk

Slyhk Member

oh ok.
    I tried to access the webpage using my phone and the PC via google as well as the link you kindly provided. With both I still get an error message saying my request is blocked.

The only way I can see the webpage is using the Wayback machine internet archives.

15. Mo Hassan

Mo Hassan Well-Known Member Premium Member 5+ year member

I'm guessing it has something to do with your location as it works fine for me in the UK.

Slyhk likes this.