Join our zoo community

Dallas or Fort worth?

Discussion in 'United States' started by nkinney84, 7 Dec 2015.

1. nkinney84

nkinney84 New Member

New here!!!!
    My sister and I are passing through the dfw area and will have a day to kill before catching our flight out. So naturally I thought of the zoo as a great option. But not sure which is best for us. We have 4 kids between the two of us ages 7, 4, 3, and 2. It's going to be penguin days at Dallas when we go so the price point is a bonus! My kids love the OKC zoo, and her kids have never been to the zoo so I want a good experience for them. I've read such mixed reviews I'm not sure what to plan. We will be staying in Arlington and will have a car so not need public transport. Thanks in advance for the help!!!

2. michaelminter

michaelminter Member

Last edited: 7 Dec 2015
  3. Chlidonias

Chlidonias Moderator Staff Member 15+ year member

I removed the giant photo from your post. Please resize it before posting it again.

EDIT: thanks, the link is much better michaelminter.

Last edited: 7 Dec 2015
  4. Arizona Docent

Arizona Docent Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Over the last few years I visited both several times in preparing for a book I wrote (and photographed) on Zoos of the Southwest. As I state in the book, the Dallas Zoo is the best zoo in the southwest. Fort Worth is good too, I like it more than some other Zoochatters I think, so you could not go wrong either way. In fact, with a group of small children it becomes a harder call, because they would really enjoy the themed western town and exhibits of Texas Wild at Fort Worth. Plus I believe the monorail at Dallas is still being refurbished, so there is a group of exhibits you cannot see. However, Giants of the Savanna at Dallas is one of the best exhibits in the country and is worth the price of admission alone.

If you are renting a car be forewarned that both of these zoos charge extra for parking, which is a rarity in the southwest (only 3 of the 17 zoos in my book do so). The light rail goes right to main gate of Dallas Zoo and is quite enjoyable, so if that will work into your plans I would recommend it.