Join our zoo community

Dallas Zoo Dallas Zoo Master Plan 2019

Discussion in 'United States' started by ZooFan1, 5 Sep 2021.

1. ZooFan1

ZooFan1 Member

snowleopard and BigNate like this.
  2. geomorph

geomorph Well-Known Member 10+ year member Premium Member

My number 1 priority project for this zoo is for them to provide access to the excellent hoofstock exhibits that already exist on the former monorail route.

3. Ituri

Ituri Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Agreed!

4. pachyderm pro

pachyderm pro Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I just saw this for the first time a few days ago. Looks very promising and it looks like most of Zoo North will be transformed into a comprehensive Asian section - "Giants of the Forest" - to contrast with the elaborate series of African habitats on the other end of the zoo. Makes complete sense and I am very pleased to see that is what they are going with. I hope they include some lesser known asian hoofstock in the grasslands section.

Also curious to see what "Elephant Enhancements" means. It's already one of the top five elephant complexes in the country so the prospect of it being improved even further is interesting.

5. Brayden Delashmutt

Brayden Delashmutt Well-Known Member

I’d like to see a North American area. Not Texas like Fort Worth’s but maybe some grizzlies and mexican/red wolves

Corbett477 and Wisp O' Mist like this.
  6. King of Komodo Dragons

King of Komodo Dragons Well-Known Member

the 2019 plan seemed interesting but the recent announcement on the cheetah and white rhino mixed habitat and the new safari trail to gain access to the monorail species it seems that this version of the master plan has been abandoned and they are doing a new one. That being said, it will be exciting to see what Dallas becomes over the next decade especially with how stagnant it has been for a while. With how well Fort Worth has done with new exhibits it will be exciting to see Dallas play catch up and see what they can do. That being said I do hope they can incorporate Sloth Bears and sea lions into the new master plan, Dallas currently doesn't have a bear species and imo anything other than a black bear would be cool and I just like pinnipeds, and while a less common species than California sea lions would be nice, those are the most commonly kept and therefore available species.

7. Nile Hippo Expert

Nile Hippo Expert Well-Known Member

Rhinoceroses returning to the zoo will be cool, I was shocked when they weren't included in the Giants Of The Savanna, but I am glad to see them return to the Dallas Zoo in a few years.