Join our zoo community

Dallas Zoo Dallas Zoo News 2019

Discussion in 'United States' started by Milwaukee Man, 17 Jan 2019.

1. Ggrarl

Ggrarl Well-Known Member 5+ year member

The Dallas Zoo has had several different monkeys (Wolf's mona monkey, Allen's swamp monkey, Geoffroy's spider monkey, cotton-top tamarin, golden lion tamarin, emperor tamarin, dusky leaf monkey, eastern black-and-white colobus, white-eared titi, white-faced saki, mandrill), but from what I can recall, no uakaris.

Kifaru Bwana likes this.
  2. AbileneBoy

AbileneBoy Well-Known Member

dang. I guess I remembered wrong. I honestly can't see myself mistaking ANY of those species for uakari, maybe I just got a bad look at the titi or saki? I really, really don't think I'd mistake any of the marmosets/tamarins or Old-Worlders for uakari, and CERTAINLY not a mandrill haha

3. John Marchwick

John Marchwick Well-Known Member 5+ year member

A new exhibit has opened at the Dallas Zoo.

TinoPup likes this.
  4. nczoofan

nczoofan Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I was confused by the name, yet what looked like not a crocodile in the video. According to the zoos facebook it contains False Gharial, so the name sure is interesting :D

Kifaru Bwana and StoppableSan like this.
  5. TinoPup

TinoPup Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Where did the alligators get moved to?

6. Ggrarl

Ggrarl Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Their Facebook said that they sent their American alligators to the Miller Park Zoo in Bloomington, Illinois.

TinoPup and Kifaru Bwana like this.
  7. SharkFinatic

SharkFinatic Well-Known Member 5+ year member

8. Yi Qi

Yi Qi Well-Known Member

9. SharkFinatic

No, she came from the ABQ BioPark according to this tweet:
    Twitter

Yi Qi likes this.
  10. SharkFinatic

11. Luke da Zoo nerd

Luke da Zoo nerd Well-Known Member

StoppableSan likes this.
  12. John Marchwick

13. d1am0ndback

d1am0ndback Well-Known Member

I recently visited the Dallas Zoo and noted several changes, particularly in the reptile house.

In the reptile house, the new "Crocodile Cove" renovation to the alligator exhibit appears to be complete, and the species present are:
    Wetar Island Pit Viper
    Brongersman Short-tailed Python
    Green Tree Python
    Blue Tree Monitor
    Tomistoma
    Painted River Terrapin

It is worth mentioning that 4/6 of these species are also exhibited in other parts of the reptile house...

A few changes to the other species in the reptile house:
    Broad-banded Copperhead has replaced Sharp-nosed Vipers
    Yellow Ratsnake has replaced Mangrove Snake
    Prehensile-tailed Skink has replaced Mangrove Viper
    Eastern Diamondback Rattlesnake has replaced Fortsen's Tortoise

It appears as though the Dallas Zoo's on-show reptile collection has declined in diversity considering how now quite a few of the species are exhibited in at least two different exhibits, taking up quite a bit of space which use to contain a multitude of species (Grand Cayman Blue Iguana, Blue-legged Mantella, Tomistoma, Wetar Island Pit Viper, Brongersman Short-tailed Python, Green Tree Python, and Mangshan Pitviper), and recently several of the rarer species, such as Mangrove Viper and Forsten's Tortoise have been replaced by common species which had already been on exhibit in the zoo. This trend is very concerning to me and I really hope it does not continue.

In other parts of the zoo, White-naped Cranes have replaced the Andean Condors, which have shifted to the Bald Eagle exhibit, causing the Bald Eagles to no longer be on exhibit. One of the raptor aviaries which I believe held Hooded Vulture now serves as a second Spectacled Owl enclosure. The previous White-naped Crane enclosure is barren.

As mentioned I believe, the Spider Monkeys are off exhibit and one Mandrill is in their place.

The only other changes I have noticed include the monorail, in which Mona Monkeys have replaced the Caracal exhibit. Red-river Hogs appear to have replaced the Nyala, which have shifted to replace all hoofstock in the savannah themed area of the monorail. A lone Somali Wild Ass replaced the zebra in the back fenced off region of this area. A Kori Bustard shares the Lappet-faced Vulture enclosure now. A Spur-winged Goose has been added to the Wattled Crane enclosure.

TinoPup likes this.
  14. TZDugong

TZDugong Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Declined in diversity:eek:! I visited a couple weeks ago and was astounded by the variety of different reptile species in the house. One of the largest collections I've ever seen, with some real gems (Tuatara mostly:p). Related, I don't remember seeing Grand Cayman Blue Iguana in 2 exhibits, do you mean inside/outside?

Anyways, great post, It's interesting to re-remember some of the stuff I saw, and finding out they were new developments!

15. d1am0ndback

If you had visited over the past few years those exhibits had even more species in them, such as Perentie, Louisiana Pine Snake, and others along those lines. What replaced the Perentie is the indoor Grand Cayman Blue Iguana enclosure.

That being said you are correct that the collection is very strong, but the trend is not in a positive direction (species wise, not exhibit quality wise which I believe has gone up) over the past 6 months or so, with the exception of several amphibians such as Lake Titicaca Frog and Barton Springs Salamander I believe someone mentioned previously.

16. drill

drill Well-Known Member

No Perenties left?

17. d1am0ndback

I am unsure of their status off exhibit but they have not been on display since either late 2017 or early 2018.

Kifaru Bwana likes this.
  18. John Marchwick

19. ThylacineAlive

ThylacineAlive Well-Known Member 10+ year member

They weren't on-exhibit in January 2018.

~Thylo

20. TZDugong

TZDugong Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Nor were they on exhibit in November 2019.

That said I'd be interested to hear what your thoughts were on the Dallas Zoo. Did you also visit Fort Worth and the Dallas World Aquarium?