Join our zoo community

Serengeti Park Dama gazelles

Discussion in 'Germany' started by Zebraduiker, 19 Mar 2009.

1. Zebraduiker

Zebraduiker Well-Known Member

Does anybody knows anything about Dama-gazelles of unknown subspecies, which are probably being kept now at the Serengeti-Park Hodenhagen ?

I don't mean the Dama-Gazelles from Leipzig Zoo, which were send to Hodenhagen a few years ago and all of them has died there within a short time.

2. Jana

Jana Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Are you sure there are any Dama-gazelles in Hodenhagen?

Last year Dvur Kralove sent around 60 antelopes (including Dama-gazelles) to Germany, to "Hagenbeck". But such animals never reached Tierpark Hagenbeck. We were quessing where they were shipped to and Hodenhagen was one of the options. But I´ve never found any confirmation.
    link

3. Kifaru Bwana

Kifaru Bwana Well-Known Member 15+ year member

I really do hope that the dama gazelles and addax were NOT shipped out to Serengeti Park Hodenhagen. Management and husbandry staff at SP Hodenhagen ARE responsible for the demise of the valuable Leipzig Zoo dama gazelle herd inside 1-2 years (these were scheduled to return to Leipzig once the enclosure designed for them in the Masterplan was up and running).

SHAME ON ... (SAD) :mad:

4. Zebraduiker

@Kifaru Bwana. And did you know, that Hodenhagen never told Leipzig the loss of their Dama-gazelles ? They read it in the newspaper......

@Jana. I know, Hodenhagen got Antelopes from Dvur last year, so Nile Lechwe and arabian Oryx, but didn't knew, they also send Dama-Gazelles to Hodenhagen. This is defenitely no good Park to keeping rare and hard to keep antelope species, so the mountain reedbuck died also within just a few month....

I can't understand it, how zoos can send their rare antelopes to Hodenhagen...The EEP has taken away the gorillas out of this park, because they have kept them in very poor conditions and the mangement of them was also very bad...

5. Jana

I was also surprised to hear the Damas (bachelor group) were leaving, but I suppose the available space for spare males was just full and no other collection was interested in them.

6. BjoernN

BjoernN Well-Known Member 15+ year member

I hope Leipzig will decide to keep dama gazelles at the old pony-enclosure close to the savannah.....

7. Zebraduiker

@Jana. How is it possible, that Dvur dosn't know, to which zoo they have send their animals ? I guess, Dvur has sold them to an Animal dealer and he sold the antelopes to Hodenhagen, but maybe he told Dvur, he has sold them to Hagenbeck. The only antelopes Hagenbeck got last years, were some Nilgai antelopes.

Most german don't send any animals to Hodenhagen, but they need regulary new animals, so they have to find other oppurtunties to get animals, and animal dealers are one of the only way to get antelopes.

8. Zebraduiker

@Jana. Are you sure, Dvur was not knowing about the transport of the antelopes, including the Dama-Gazelles, to Hodenhagen ? A keeper of the Serengetipark said, Dvur has transportet the antelopes including the Dama-Gazelles by themselfs to Hodenhagen...

9. Jana

@Zebraduiker The PR-department of DK sent an official press release to local newspapers, that stated all those antelopes were going to "Hagenbeck". I don´t know who exactly made the mistake in the name of a zoo.