Join our zoo community

Odense Zoo Danish zoos

Discussion in 'Denmark' started by Toddy, 2 Feb 2008.

1. Toddy

Toddy Well-Known Member

Okay, this is the thread for all the Danish zoos. If you have any questions or comments at all, this is where to post them. I will also try to post updates here from the Danish zoos as frequently as I can. I will start of with a list of the Danish zoos, along with a small description. If I have written a more complete review of them, you can read it by clicking on the zoos' name.

Copenhagen Zoo
    Well known zoo with many rare animals. Copenhagen is one of Europes oldest city zoos, and is divided into the themes: The North, Asia, South America, Isolated Islands, The World of Primates and The Tropical Rainforest.
    Copenhagen is famous for their tasmanian devils and the new Elephant House (of which I will tell more later).
    Future plans: Their future plans include a new enclosure for polar bears and chimpanzees. No details are known yet.

Odense Zoo
    My favourite zoo in Denmark. Odense is beautifully divided in the themes Asia, Africa and South America. They have opened many great enclosures these last few years, for animals such as tigers, lions, chimpanzees, squirrel monkeys, manatees and one of the best exhibits for arctic penguins I have seen.
    Future plans: A huge new savannah in 2009 and a North American harbour basin in 2011, featuring sea lions and sea otters.

Givskud Zoo and Safari
    The most famous safaripark in Denmark, though not very famous world wide. Has large drive-through enclosures with themes such as the African savannah, North America and South America, and a huge lion-forest. The walkthrough enclosure for barbary apes is fantastic, and their enormous enclosure for gorillas may be the best in the world.
    Future plans: Not sure at the moment, but probably expanding all the themes (they have the room for it).

Aalborg Zoo
    Very nice savannah stables, themed as an African village, where you can see zebras, antelopes, warthogs and pygmy hippos indoors. Nice South American theme and beautiful African aviaries.
    Future plans: New exhibits for sea lions and penguins are on top of the list.

Randers Regnskov Tropical Zoo
    Fantastic tropical zoo ("regnskov" is the Danish word for rainforest). Consists of three huge glass domes, each with a geographical theme. Asia, Africa and South America are represented, along with a Caribbean saltwater aquarium. Interesting animals include manatees, margays, bush dogs, the only yellow-spotted hyraxes registered on ISIS, and breeding aardvarks.
    Future plans: The world's largest indoor zoo, Planet Randers, due to open in 2017.

Ree Park - Ebeltoft Safari
    In my opinion, the best open-range zoo in Denmark. Situated in the most fantastic landscape, this park focuses on large, open enclosures for all animals. The main theme is Africa, supplemented by South America, Europe, Asia, The Monkey Islands, and a fantastic North American theme. Ree Park holds 17 cheetahs, and has the, perhaps, best cheetah enclosure in the world. You can take guided open jeep tours through the savannahs.
    Future plans: Giraffe stable and onager enclosure opening this year, and lion planned for next year.

Knuthenborg Safari
    The largest safaripark in Scandinavia. You need your own car to visit Knuthenborg, and most of the park is drive-through enclosures with animals such as white rhino, giraffe, zebra, various antelopes, bison, yak and amur tiger. You can take a special bus into the hamadryas baboon enclosure. There are also large walkthrough enclosures for lemurs and wallabies.

Jesperhus Junglezoo
    The second-largest tropical zoo in Denmark, and always worth a visit. Consists of four tropical halls with the themes Asia, South America, Australia/Africa and a parrot house. Also has a few outdoor aviaries and a terrarium with special focus on venomous reptiles and amphibians.
    Website: Jesperhus - Blomsterpark, Camping - Feriecenter, Bowling, Junglezoo og Vandland. - Velkommen til Jesperhus Blomsterpark, Camping- og feriecenter

Scandinavian Wild Animal Park
    A huge wild animal park with only Scandinavian animals. All the animals have huge enclosures, and the ones for grey wolves, brown bears and polar bears are among the best. It is a nice outdoor nature experience.

Skaerup Zoo
    One of the largest of the smaller zoos in Denmark. I have never been there, but have heard nice things about it. Some of the more interesting animals here are Chinese leopards, michmi takins, toque macaque, ocelot and dhole.

Jyllands Park Zoo
    Another of the largest minizoos that I also yet have to visit. Although I have heard nice things about this zoo too, it's my impression that it's a bit to much of a family park. Some of the larger animals are lions, tigers, black panthers, giraffes, tree shrews, cheetahs and many more.

Lintrup Zoo Park
    I have sadly not visited this park either. I have heard very nice things about it though. They have a nice terrarium, and holds species such as patas monkey, New Guinean singing dog, grey agouti, ring-tailed lemur, blackbuck, and many others.
    Website: Safari Zoo Park Lintrup: En dyrebar oplevelse, selv for de mindste

Blaavand Zoo
    The last of the large minizoos that I have not visited. I have heard that it should have a nice environment, and many interesting species, some of the unique in Denmark. Animals such as red kangaroos, striped hyenas, wisent, northern lynx, japanese macaque and alpine ibex live in the zoo.

Munkholm Zoo
    Built around an old farm, this is a pleasant little zoo to visit. They have lots of farm animals that you can pet, along with a lot of smaller exotic animals. Some of the most interesting include northern lynx, serval, brown capuchin, green vervet, green agouti and marsh mongoose.

Odsherreds Zoo
    The closest we get to a primate park in Denmark. This minizoo has a lot of focus on the smaller primates, and houses six species of marmoset and tamarins, along with green vervet monkeys, brown capuchins and lar gibbons. The zoo also has other animals, such as zebra, racoon and spectacled caimans.

Nykøbing Falster Zoo
    Another of the smaller zoos in Denmark. Nykøbing Falster Zoo has the world's worst tiger exhibit, and a few other "semi-completed" exhibits. This is sad, since it is a very nice park. The main attractions are the amur tiger, brown capuchin and parrots.

Naestved Zoo
    The newest zoo in Denmark. It still needs a lot of work, but it looks promising. There are huge enclosures for white and bengal tigers, bisons and other hoof stock.
    Future plans: White lions in 2008.

Green World
    The smallest tropical zoo in Denmark. Consists of two long greenhouses with a free flight aviary and rows of smaller aviaries and enclosures. Animals here are water monitor, green vervet monkey, white-fronted brown lemur, squirrel monkey and lots of parrots and tropical birds.

North Zealand Birdpark
    My favourite of the two birdparks in Denmark. Although there are no large birds here, they house a lot of small, rare species. The park has a nice tropical house for the smaller tropical birds, and a lot of outdoor aviaries, mainly for parrots, lories and lorikeets.

Frydenlund Birdpark
    The second birdpark in Denmark. I'm not overly fond of this one, but they have nice enclosures for ostriches, emus and rheas.

Denmark's Aquarium
    The oldest aquarium in Denmark. Not a very interesting exhibition, except for the landscape aquariums at the end, with sharks, piranhas, crocodiles and sea turtles.
    Future plans: Denmark's Aquarium will soon be relocated nearer Copenhagen, and will become northern Europe’s largest aquarium. It will be know as "The Blue Planet", and open in 2012.

Aqua Freshwater Aquarium
    The only freshwater aquarium in Denmark. Very nice exhibitions, that gives a great insight into the life in rivers, marshes and lakes. Also has a nice outdoor area with enclosures for European otters, racoons, mink and beavers.
    Website: Ferskvandscentret: AQUA Ferskvands Akvarium / Velkommen

North Sea Oceanarium
    An aquarium with animals from the North Sea. Has the largest tank in northern Europe, the Oceanarium. You can experience animals such as the ocean sunfish, grey seals, harbour seals and many others.

Kattegatcentre
    Denmark's Shark Centre. Has a large tank with many different tropical sharks. Also has a large number of aquariums with fish from the Danish seas, as well as harbour seals in an outdoor basin.

Fjord & Baelt
    A rather small but interesting exhibition. Has a number of aquariums for various fish, and two big outdoor enclosures. Here lives harbour seals and the only harbour porpoises in the world. They recently had the first calf in captivity ever, bringing the number up to 1.4. Well worth a visit.

The Fisheries and Maritime Museum
    Although it is also a museum, it's mostly know for it's large saltwater aquariums. They also have the oldest Sealarium in Denmark, as well as a group of European mink.
    Website: Fiskeri- og Søfartsmuseet. Saltvandsakvariet Esbjerg

Øresund Aquarium
    The only aquarium on the list that I have not visited. Was recently expanded with many new aquariums and exhibitions, and is situated only 1/2 hour from Copenhagen.

Crocodile Zoo
    The zoo with the second-most crocodilian species in the world. It currently holds 21, while St. Augustine in Florida holds all 23. It is built in an old farm, so the exhibition itself is not very interesting, unless you like crocs. But for anyone who has the slightest interest in these creatures, this is the place to see.
    Future plans: Over the next few years, Crocodile Zoo will be completely relocated and become a huge tropical zoo with all 23 croc species.

Vissenbjerg Terrarium
    The largest terraium in Denmark. Holds lots of lizards, snakes, turtles and tortoises, along with an amphibian display. Like Crocodile Zoo, this is also built in an old farm. Main attractions are animals such as dwarf caimans and gila monsters.

These are the biggest and most interesting zoos and aquaria in Denmark. We have a few more minizoos and coastal aquariums, along with some "Fun Farms", but they are not very interesting for the international audience. Should you have any questions about these though, feel free to ask.

Click below to see lists of all the animals in the Danish zoos:
    Mammals
    Birds
    Reptiles

LegoOwl likes this.
  2. kiang

kiang Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Toddy, if one was to visit Denmark for a few days or even a week, what in your view would be the best plan of attack for the best zoos, with most people starting off in Copenhagen?

3. Toddy

Toddy Well-Known Member

Well, the top-three would be Copenhagen Zoo, Odense Zoo and Randers Regnskov Tropical Zoo. Ree Park is also very nice, but is impossible to reach with public transportation. Otherwise, I would make Aalborg Zoo or Givskud Zoo my next choice. If you have more time, then it depends on your main interests.

4. Pertinax

Pertinax Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Givskud Gorilla Enclosure

Regarding Givskud's Gorilla enclosure- I wouldn't agree that its 'one of the best in the World'..
    The outdoor is very extensive and spacious, but offers the gorillas very little cover and is really just a grassy field surrounded by an electric fence. BUT the Indoor show area is one of the most basic anywhere in Europe and badly needs to be upgraded..

5. Toddy

Toddy Well-Known Member

I guess we will just have to disagree here.They have enough places to get away from the crowd if they want to, and there is much more backstage stable than you can see. Have you ever been there yourself? And if so, how did you like the rest of the park?

6. Pertinax

No, I have not been there myself but I've seen a large selection of photos which were taken to include many angles and sections of the enclosure. I didn't say the Gorillas can't get away from the public- I can see that the watermoat means they are a good distance from them in the outdoor enclosure, there are also(electrified) blocks of scrub they can go behind plus a cave at one end, but its not got any other overhead cover which they do prefer.. I still wouldn't rate it a top class enclosure, PARTICULARLY the Indoor exhibit area which seems an extremely basic 'room' with a woodchip floor and one set of logs to climb on. Or perhaps it has been upgraded recently? (Note; these are largely aesthetic considerations and I'm sure the Gorillas aren't suffering from them...)

Can you answer one question- is the electrified(?) sheep netting which borders the outdoor enclosure the only barrier- or is there an additional fence behind that?

7. Kifaru Bwana

Kifaru Bwana Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Does Ebeltoft Open Range Zoo already house giraffes or onager (as per your expose on future plans)?

8. Toddy

Toddy Well-Known Member

@Pertinax: I don't really think that you can judge an enclosure unless you have seen it yourself (but maybe that's just me). I think that the put an extra fence up some years ago, after Samson, the silverback, escaped in 2000. It was pretty strange. He just found his way over the electric fence somehow, tried to get back in, but couldent, and so he just built a nest right outside the fence and went to sleep. The next day, he was shot with a dart and taken back to the enclosure, Since that day, he has kept well clear of the fence, since he has no desire for freedom :p.

@jelle: No, they don't. The onagers will get a private enclosure in Asia, next to the camels, and the new giraffe stable is currently being built next to the savannah, where the giraffes will live in the summertime. The onagers have already arrived, but the giraffe will have to wait a bit longer. I'm exhibit to see which subspecies they will house :).

Last edited: 4 Feb 2008
  9. Pertinax

I thought you might say that ;)

All I can say is that I have seen many Gorilla enclosures and lots of photos of others I haven't seen. I saw photos of London's new Gorilla Kingdom before I saw the exhibit- and it was exactly what I expected to see from the photos. It would doubtless be the same for Givskud if I was to go there. I would still say that unless its been upgraded recently, the indoor Gorilla area at Givskud is very basic and dull- won't you admit that?

Regarding Samson's escape, an interesting story- the electified fence did look(from the photos) very low to me but it seems he didn't really mean to escape proving he obviously leads a contented life...

10. Toddy

Toddy Well-Known Member

I will agree to the fact that it's basic, but not dull. It has painted walls to give it a jungle feeling, and provides the gorillas with all they need. The fantastic part about the gorilla enclosure in Givskud is the outdoor enclosure. The indoor enclosure is good, but not fantastic.

11. Pygathrix

Pygathrix Well-Known Member 15+ year member

12. Toddy

Toddy Well-Known Member

It's not painted to look like an exact copy of a jungle, but rather a mix of green and brown colours.

13. Pertinax

Now you're being more realistic...;) Personally I think the 'camouflage' colour scheme is ugly and there is(or was) just one small set of logs for them to use with no ropes or shelves on the walls of any sort so they can get off the ground. Maybe that's been changed? The woodchip flooring is good. 'The 'fantastic' part of the enclosure is the outdoors'- as far as I know the group have to be shut outside otherwise they probably won't use it- that's common in many zoos where there isn't enough cover as they don't like exposure to the open sky.

BUT- it is a very spacious enclosure with a good Gorilla group- I've seen many groups in much poorer housing.

14. Toddy

Toddy Well-Known Member

Only two have the gorillas have had this problem. Samson and Nelle are the last gorillas from the Copenhagen group. They were both wildcaught, and had lived indoors in Copenhagen ever since. It took a long time to finally get them to go outdoors. The two other females on the other hand (the irish Sally and french Minnie) had been used to the outdoor world all along. At first, Samson tried to keep his females inside, because he didn't dare to go outside himself. Eventually though, he followed his females out into the new world, and now is completely happy using the outdoor enclosure.

15. James27

James27 Well-Known Member

Any photos of this enclosure?

16. Toddy

Toddy Well-Known Member

Only a few I'm afraid :(. But I will upload them to the gallery today or tommorow, and post links to them here.

17. James27

James27 Well-Known Member

That's great thanks :)

18. CZJimmy

CZJimmy Well-Known Member

There does appear to be quite a few images on Flickr...

19. Pertinax

That's quite common in Gorillas not used to large outdoor areas. The new male at Apenheul came from Krefeld Zoo and had never been outdoors(their exhibit hasn't got an outside) At Apenheul he refused to go outside to begin with but he's okay now I believe.

I think 'Sally'(Salome, born in Frankfurt, and sent to Dublin for a year or two) is now dead but has one or even two offspring living in the group?

20. Toddy

Toddy Well-Known Member

Sally and Salome is not the same gorilla. Sally came from Dublin (not sure where she was born), and is very much alive. Not sure if she has had one or two babies with Samson. Salome came from Copenhagen with Samson. Her only child Effie was sent to Berlin a few years ago. She died of a tumor one or two years after the arrival to Givskud :(.