Join our zoo community

Darling Downs Zoo Darling Downs Zoo - Developments (News and Discussion)

Discussion in 'Australia' started by Zoofan15, 27 Nov 2022.

1. Zoofan15

Zoofan15 Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Introduction

With threads to discuss the development of Auckland, Adelaide, Taronga and Melbourne Zoo, I thought it’d be good to have a thread to discuss the future development of Darling Downs Zoo.

@Steve Robinson has kindly given me permission to do this and contributed information on some upcoming projects - but requests the thread does not descend into rampant speculation, so with this in mind I’ve left speculation out of the title of this thread.

Feel free to discuss the points below and contribute constructive feedback.

Recent Developments

Import of Binturong (Javan subspecies).

Construction of five acre paddocks for Indian antelope and Red kangaroo.

Current Developments

Construction of eight acre paddock for Addax.

Construction of exhibit for Hamadryas baboon.

Foundations being laid for new Tortoise House due to the increasing size of our imports. This house is in the African area of the zoo and will be for Aldabrans only. Radiateds and Stars will be getting new accommodation in 2023.

Raising funds to build Komodo Kingdom.

Planning for zoo’s 20 Year Anniversary in 2025 - public invited to suggest a project to celebrate this milestone (I suggested Clouded leopard).

Will tag all those who may be interested in following this thread: @Zorro, @Matt_C, @steveroberts, @Swanson02, @WhistlingKite24, @babirusa101, @akasha, @Abbey, @marmolady, @jay, @Tigergal, @MattyP, @Nisha, @Jambo, @PAT, @kiang, @animal_expert01, @Riley, @CGSwans

akasha, steveroberts, Matt_C and 7 others like this.
  2. Zorro

Zorro Well-Known Member 5+ year member

The new 20 acre Zebra paddock is also a very resent development as well, nice to see that Ben the Ostrich now has 8 girl friends to keep him company.I believe another current project would be the new Lion enclosures in the near future.

It is pleasing to hear the zoo has started on new housing for their tortoises which would be possibly the largest group in the region.

The planned new Komodo dragon complex is another exciting project that's going to be worth the wait to see. An extension to the existing reptile house if possibe would be wonderful to see I am sure it would be a welcome addition to display further species.

The brand new Endangered Africa development is quite exciting. I believe this might contain more room for the giraffes since they are growing in number. I believe that Nyala may join them at some point. (I hope as a big Bovine fan that Bongo could enter the zoos collection some day as they are a large spectacular and interesting species).

For me the in progress Baboon exhibit is one of the most exciting development's happening at the zoo, the completed house is perhaps the most impressive and largest that I can recall anywhere, Also, to see them active in a area of that size which is being put together to give them lots of chances for maximum activity.

I guess the cherry on the cake next would be Rhinos which would really set off the new African exhibit area. The recently added 122 acres is going to give the zoo great opportunities to create some special here!

Last edited: 28 Nov 2022
    Jambo, steveroberts, Matt_C and 5 others like this.
  3. Babirusa

Babirusa Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Does anyone have any photos of the new baboon enclosure, I'd love to see it!

Patrick Keegan and Matt_C like this.
  4. Zoofan15

Zoofan15 Well-Known Member 5+ year member

@Zorro is a regular visit, so check with him.

Their Hamadryas baboon exhibit sounds phenomenal. They already have a decent sized troop, which will now be able to expand in size even further.

Darling Downs and Monarto will one eventually have the two largest exhibits in the region for this species.

Patrick Keegan and Zorro like this.
  5. Zorro

While the housing is finished the outside area still has a lot of work to be completed also the perimeter fencing has yet to be started.I believe more trees and logs/boulders are to be placed into the outside exhibit area!

Zoofan15 and Patrick Keegan like this.
  6. Zorro

Another area often not mentioned is the zoos breeding of Bilby, Echidna and Mahogany Gliders, possibly because they are not on display to the public (as far as I am aware).

Zoofan15 and Patrick Keegan like this.