Join our zoo community

Darling Downs Zoo Darling Downs Zoo News 2021

Discussion in 'Australia' started by WhistlingKite24, 27 Jan 2021.

1. WhistlingKite24

WhistlingKite24 Well-Known Member 10+ year member Premium Member

A Darling Downs Zoo first to start the year. The zoo has successfully bred two Nankeen Night Heron (Nycticorax caledonicus) chicks; a species that seems to be relatively uncommon in captivity:

2. Zorro

Zorro Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Thats a nice bit of news they do so well with birds its become a high light of the zoo. :)

3. Zorro

Only made the news today. Two Tasmanian Wombats from the Darling Downs zoo arrived at the Bestzoo in the Netherlands on the 23 November 2020 a male and female aged 7 and 8 years! :)

Jambo, Tafin, kiwimuzz and 2 others like this.
  4. toothlessjaws

toothlessjaws Well-Known Member

I'm guessing wombats = leopards

5. Zorro

I believe the Leopards may of came from Spain!

6. Zoofan15

Zoofan15 Well-Known Member 5+ year member

ZooBest has a litter of 1.3 Sri Lankan leopard cubs that are around 18 months old now. People were speculating in the ZooBest thread back in 2019 that a couple would be exchanged for the wombats; however, I was under the impression Darling Downs Zoo would be receiving a breeding pair of Sri Lankan leopard.

Perhaps they will receive a sibling pair for now, with the view of receiving an unrelated mate from the National Zoo (when their pair breeds); or exchanging with either the National or Adelaide Zoo down the line.

While we’re an extension of the European breeding programme, it’d be better to receive at least two unrelated breeding pairs amongst the zoos, so that further imports aren’t immediately needed for the next generation.

Zorro, Jambo, Tafin and 2 others like this.
  7. Kifaru Bwana

Kifaru Bwana Well-Known Member 15+ year member

It is dependent on what EEP/EAZA is loaning out from the program. I think they make that evaluation before hand. I wonder if they will actually sent a pair to DDZ. Best Zoo might not be an EAZA zoo, not sure.

Zorro and Zoofan15 like this.
  8. Chlidonias

Chlidonias Moderator Staff Member 15+ year member

No - the leopards for National Zoo and DDZ are from within the EEP, of which BestZoo is not a participant.

Jambo and Tafin like this.
  9. Chlidonias

A quick list of species which have been bred at DDZ this year so far, including the birds which so often get overlooked in news threads:

Glossy Ibis
    Purple Swamphen
    Royal Spoonbill
    Black-winged Stilt
    Nankeen Night Heron
    Blue-fronted Amazon

Spinifex Hopping Mouse
    Blackbuck
    Addax
    Llama
    Brazilian Agouti
    Pigmy Marmoset
    Emperor Tamarin
    Hamadryas Baboon

Tafin, Zoofan15 and WhistlingKite24 like this.
  10. WhistlingKite24

I guess because most zoos release precious little information about their birds which is very much a shame. Also the general lack of attention most bird species seem to receive on the Australasian forums doesn’t help either.
    First time DDZ have bred Pygmy Marmosets.:)

Tigergal and Chlidonias like this.
  11. Chlidonias

I meant the news threads in general (all countries) because they are typically mammalcentric, which is understandable because zoos mostly release news about mammal births over other animals. However, yes, I think the Australasian forums are likely much more mammal-heavy than the others because there are relatively few members for the region and most are fixated on a handful of species of exotic ABC mammals.

12. WhistlingKite24

A news story I came across about the recent Emperor Tamarin birth mentioned above. A single infant was born a few weeks ago: 7NEWS Toowoomba

Zorro, Tafin and Jambo like this.
  13. WhistlingKite24

Darling Downs Zoo have hatched two Black Swan cygnets:
    Darling Downs Zoo

Zorro likes this.
  14. Zorro

The zoo does so well with their bird collection.

15. WhistlingKite24

Darling Downs Zoo Visit - 20/06/2021:

As always with Darling Downs Zoo, lots to be shared, lots to be excited for from today’s visit. The land around the giraffe is really starting to take shape with all the new developments that I will discuss below. Some news and observations from today’s visit:

*a new complex of four exhibits has been constructed next to the cheetah – two meshed enclosures on either side of a central area with a set of viewing windows. Some of exhibits have wooden climbing structures, nest boxes and light plantings. One of the enclosures also had some sturdy ropes. Signage indicated that these exhibits will be for Servals and a new species.:) The llamas/guanaco have now moved to a new paddock next to the maned wolves and near this new set of enclosures. Better photos of the new maned wolf enclosure are now in the gallery as well.

*a female cheetah recently arrived from Monarto Safari Park giving the zoo three (1.2) cheetah to maximise breeding opportunities. She was on display in the main enclosure. During the talk, the keeper discussed their intentions to start trialling artificial insemination with their female cheetah, Leela as mating attempts thus far with the Hamerton male have proven unsuccessful. The zoo will still continue trying to breed naturally from both females.

*today I got my first proper look at the new male Sumatran tiger and he is huge! He is still sharing the space with female Rani. He tried to approach her and his advances were met with a warning [Tiger Scuffle - ZooChat]. Very interesting to watch.

*lots of new avian delights. The zoo’s fifth pheasant species – a spectacular Reeve’s Pheasant is now in the aviary next to the tigers. Other new species include Diamond Doves in the same aviary, Cattle Egrets in the large waterbird aviary and Nepal Kalij Pheasants are back in the black cockatoo aviary. Several bird moves within the zoo have occurred as well – Australasian Figbirds are now in the kookaburra/bustard enclosure, Mandarin Ducks are now in the open-topped paddock next to the Ruddy Shelducks in the Asia precinct, female Eclectus Parrots are in one of the former amazon parrot aviaries and Cape Barren Geese are sharing with the whiptail wallabies.

*a pair of Black Swans were incubating three eggs in the enclosure near the front of the zoo. Another pair of swans were raising a cygnet in the tapir/capybara enclosure.

*Freshwater Crocodiles are now on display in the former boa constrictor enclosure. The Radiated Tortoises were not on display presumably due to the winter weather. I counted 16 Aldabra Giant Tortoises in the exhibit with the rhino iguanas, there might have been even more in the heated shed.

*in terms of wild birds – Australasian Grebes are currently raising their chicks on the dam near the hippo and I saw a Wedge-tailed Eagle soar over the zoo across from the giraffes. I thoroughly enjoyed my visit and am already looking forward to the next one. More photos of the animals and their exhibits can be seen here: Darling Downs Zoo - ZooChat

16. Chlidonias

I like how birdy DDZ's collection is! I'd really like to get there eventually. I've only been in Brisbane twice - and the first time was over a decade ago - but one day...

WhistlingKite24 likes this.
  17. Zorro

Glad you enjoyed your day there with perfect weather. Its amazing that the zoo makes so much progess and ever increasing species range. Theres always something different/happening there it is truly a work in progress. Nice to see the new male Tiger has settled down in a new home. Birds are always a highlight at Darling Downs zoo I hope its not long before I can visit again. Did you see the new male Lion?. Thank you for taking the time to take pics of all the new works and wonderful pics of the animals are great. :)

Last edited: 20 Jun 2021
    kiwimuzz and WhistlingKite24 like this.
  18. WhistlingKite24

No worries. Yes, he briefly made an appearance in that back portion of the second enclosure that is currently sectioned off from the lionesses.

Zorro likes this.
  19. Zorro

I had some friends visit the Darling Downs zoo for the first time last weekend, they were quite impressed with the zoo overall and spent half the day there. The cold blustery conditions on the day might have been the reason all the animals were very active with even the Giraffes having a good run around for 15 - 20 minutes.
    They were impressed with all the new building work happening there and the fine condition of all the animals, Including the range of species being in the collection. The keeper talks were popular and informative so they got to see just about everything on the day, Going by the number of pics they sent me I got to see a number of updates including some wonderful shots of the stunning new male tiger, Komodo dragon, Pygmy Hippo and a range of other species on the day. I believe they intend to return again in the near future. :)

Kifaru Bwana likes this.
  20. WhistlingKite24

From the zoo's website [News - Darling Downs Zoo]:

"We are very pleased to announce that the Australian Government has granted us Deductible Gift Recipient [DGR] status from 6 July 2021. This means that all donations in excess of $2 made to the Darling Downs Zoo Species Preservation Foundation are tax deductible for the donor. Every cent of the income from this Foundation is used to fund our species preservation work here - particularly our back of house breeding and release to the wild work with Greater Bilbies and Bush-stone Curlews. We very much appreciate your support."

akasha, kiwimuzz, Antoine and 2 others like this.