Join our zoo community

Darling Downs Zoo Darling Downs

Discussion in 'Australia' started by Zoo_Boy, 31 Jan 2008.

1. Jo

Jo Well-Known Member

It wasn't just chimps, the whole zoo was run in a way that a lot of people wouldn't agree with. I can't reveal anything in the book, it was given to me in confidence, sorry, but just be glad that zoos have come a long way since then. The Rockie boys are happy now, actually they are two of the most normal chimps I have met.

2. Steve Robinson

Steve Robinson Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Rocky chimps

Yes Jo, I'm glad that you said that! A lot of people criticise the Rockhampton Zoo chimp enclosure [ and I'm sure that with twenty first century knowledge and with a big budget we could all build a better one ] but the most important observation to make is - how do the chimps like it?

The truth is that Occie and Cassie like it a lot thank you!

They are very well adjusted boys and in superb condition. It's such a pity that their genes are going to waste.

3. Jo

Jo Well-Known Member

Too many people see animal enclosures with anthropomorphic eyes, but if it supplies what the animals need the human's perceptions aren't valid. I like enclosures with sides and roofs more in some instances because it increases the usable space. I was very surprised when I met Cassie and Occie that they didn't have any stereotypies or other abnormal behaviours, and Cassie is my favourite chimp, he is so laid back and easy going!

You never know, they may one day be able to utilise those genes, all is not lost yet!

4. boof

boof Well-Known Member 15+ year member

how old are the chimps?

5. Steve Robinson

Jo may know exactly but my answer is - mid30s.

6. Jo

Jo Well-Known Member

Yep, mid 30's, I have their exact ages filed away, but close enough.

7. Ara

Ara Well-Known Member

Steve:
    When you say that their genes are going to waste, do you mean that they are unrelated to other chimps in the region?

(and) Jo:
    I couldn't agree more about animal enclosures; the best enclosure for primates has got to be the (much maligned) "cage", or more correctly a large meshed area with walls and roof which the animals can make full use of.

8. Steve Robinson

9. Steve Robinson

(and) Jo:
    I couldn't agree more about animal enclosures; the best enclosure for primates has got to be the (much maligned) "cage", or more correctly a large meshed area with walls and roof which the animals can make full use of.[/QUOTE]

Agreed - I think that Howlett's proved that conclusively.

10. MARK

MARK Well-Known Member

11. Ara

Ara Well-Known Member

I've been reading the Mountain View Conservation Centre (Canada) thread, and learned that it is only open to the public via pre-booked guided tours.

Since Darling Downs has been copping headaches from the Queensland Govt. re having to be open (nearly) every day, would the "pre-booked guided tours" system qualify as being legally open on the days when it is not economic to have the zoo generally open?

12. Steve Robinson

We already open mid-week to pre booked groups but that was not good enough for the Queensland public service.

As it has not been possible to work collaboratively with them we took our case to the State government Minister responsible for regulating zoos. He pulled them in to line on the opening hours "issue" that they had created. We do not have to change our opening hours - our position has been vindicated. Pity it took the buggers six months to work through it!

We have now also received our Approved Collection Status approvals for a number of new species although there are still a couple of species applications that are outstanding - for species that are available to zoos in every other Australian State except Queensland. Species that, in some parts of the world, are kept as pets!

Following false media comments made about this zoo by a public servant, we have requested an independent review of our zoo by non-aligned people with appropriate experience. The Minister has agreed to this and the Department is working out it's terms of reference as well as sorting out who the reviewers will be. This is being done in conjunction with ARAZPA but will be additional to the Accreditation Review that will have to be done if our application to join the Association is successful.

Last edited: 30 May 2008
  13. MARK

MARK Well-Known Member

Its good to see things are moving along, at last

14. Steve Robinson

Now that I have more time to read this, what I said should be clarified a bit.

ARAZPA is not conducting the review - ARAZPA is suggesting potential reviewers to the Minister.

15. Jo

Jo Well-Known Member

If ARAZPA wasn't suggesting the reviewers I would have offered to do a report for you on primate related matters. If I can do anything to help anyway let me know.

Last edited: 31 May 2008
  16. Jo

Jo Well-Known Member

If ARAZPA wasn't suggesting the reviewers I would have offered to do a primate report for you. If I can help in any way let me know.

17. Steve Robinson

Thank you Jo. Your offer is appreciated and I will pass it on to the Department. The support that we have been getting from some institutions and individuals within the zoo world has been very heartening. As has been the messages we have received from some Zoobeaters!

18. Jo

Jo Well-Known Member

Depending on the timing I might be doctored up, handing in my thesis shortly, so cred goes up!

19. Steve Robinson

Good luck with it - hope it is well received. Dr Jo has a nice ring to it!

20. MARK

MARK Well-Known Member

All the best Jo