Join our zoo community

Dartmoor Zoo Dartmoor Zoo News 2020

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by TNT, 24 Jan 2020.

1. Rupert89

Rupert89 Well-Known Member

What makes you say that, surely there can be other projects that are not these grand plans that you talk of? I dont think many zoos are going to be doing large scale projects like that, especially a smaller zoo like dartmoor.

2. The Hedgehog

The Hedgehog Well-Known Member

@Rupert89 can you please give me examples of projects that can be done in a Zoo environment,without new species or enclosures being involved? @Rupert89 can you please give me a hint as too what Dartmoor Zoo's latest project is even if it's the tiniest hint ever? Please @Rupert89 the suspense and excitement is killing me!!!

3. adamntitch

adamntitch Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Its not illegal to feed live vertebrates to others in the UK but is allowed if its say a snake won't take frozen defrost so possible they could do it but not for show or in the public eye

4. Dylan

Dylan Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I doubt BIAZA would look on it favourably however

5. Rupert89

It is a new enclosure for some of the residents at the zoo already as well as new species!

I dont think they will be doing it anyway

6. The Hedgehog

@Rupert89 has Benjamin Mee changed his mind regarding having two pairs of Amur Leopards. I know that Benjamin definitely told me that his plan for the year was to house Amur Leopards one people friendly pair and one wilder pair who would eat live food and offspring that would be realesed into the wild.

On a different subject regarding another species that already resides at Dartmoor Zoo. How are the pride of African Lions getting on? The last I heard the male Jasiri was living separate from the 2 Lioness sisters Kimya and Nikita. Benjamin told me they were introduced but had to be split up as they were having rows. The last time I saw Benjamin he explained that he was giving the Lions one last chance to live together in harmony. Benjamin and the big cat keepers suspected that the contraception the Lionesses were on was causing the fighting. @Rupert89 do you work at Dartmoor Zoo? I ask this as can you please say that George with the mobility problems says hi and hopes you,Milo,Ella and everyone connected to the Zoo are well.

Kind regards The Hedgehog

Last edited by a moderator: 17 Oct 2020
  7. Rupert89

I think the plan is still probably to get amur leopards but i doubt they will be feeding live prey.

The lions have been living together for some time now, the male is just separated overnight.

8. The Hedgehog

@Rupert89 thats great news about the Lions I’m sure that Benjamin Mee is relived

9. BearCat

BearCat Well-Known Member

Update from Facebook Live Q&A event with Ben Mee on the 1st December 2020. You can watch this via the park's Facebook page:
    • Amur leopard project: mentioned this and is currently hoping to raise funds for it - no updates here really.
    • Crab-eating macaques: as mentioned previously these are to come from laboratories. Enclosure has been designed by students from the University of Plymouth and will include a 'Jacuzzi' type pool to encourage behavioural rehabilitation of isolated individuals. Mee is currently conversing with individuals from Holland and USA for funding to construct this enclosure although this is likely to be further down the line.
    • Cloud rats: a breeding pair (different to the brother and sister pair they had) are currently in the vet room whilst their enclosure is being refurbished. This is going to become a nocturnal house which is partially screened off.
    • Next to this, Ben Mee mentioned that there will be a large aviary. Did not provide any additional details about this.
    • Mixed South American exhibit: old grivet enclosure where the cranes are now is to become an enclosure for five South American species: tamarins, marmosets, "sika" monkeys (I presume saki monkeys?), agoutis and an unnamed species. They are currently waiting for one of the monkeys to become available (Covid permitting).

Fallax, Antoine, bintarong and 2 others like this.
  10. FBBird

FBBird Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Sounds promising

11. Animallover1998

Animallover1998 Well-Known Member 5+ year member

The park has also announced on Facebook that their three coatis (Junior, Julio and Fonzo) have recently passed away :(

bintarong likes this.
  12. Rupert89

It really is an exciting time for dartmoor

13. Embu

Embu Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Thats 5 Coati deaths this year with Ringo and Tallulah at Longleat. Wonder what Dartmoor will replace them with?

14. Rupert89

I cannot wait for more primates to arrive at dartmoor but im interested on what other people would like to see there or what they think is lacking at dartmoor.

15. The Hedgehog

Species I would like to see at Dartmoor Zoo are. These are in no particular order.
    1. Red Panda
    2. White Rhino
    3. Spectaled Bear
    4. Timber Wolf
    5.Asiatic Lion
    6. Calafornon Sea Lion
    7.Bactrian Camal
    8.Golden Cheeked Gibon
    9.Squirrel Monkey
    10.Bintarong
    11. Sloth
    12. Spring Haire
    13. Bornan Orangutan
    14. Eastern Bongo
    15 simmiter Horned Oryx
    16. Humbolt Penguin
    17. Chillian Flamingo
    18. Toucan
    19. Amur Leopard
    20. Western Lowland Gorilla
    21. Pirraie Dog
    22. Pallas Cat
    23 Bobcat

@Rupert89 would you like to see the listed species at Dartmoor Zoo in the future?

bintarong likes this.
  16. Rupert89

Any primate would be a welcome addition for me. A small cat species such as pallas or scottish wildcat would fit in well i think. I would like to see something different to wolves maybe dhole, hunting dog or hyena?

I would like to see more hoofstock too, maybe Przewalski's horse?

pipaluk, TriUK and TNT like this.
  17. TNT

TNT Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Dhole and Przewalskis horse would be fantastic additions to the collection.

pipaluk and TriUK like this.
  18. Rupert89

Well it seems like a good time for dartmoor at the moment so we can be hopeful! Hopefully they can work on these new exhibits ben has mentioned now they have been able to open again

pipaluk and TNT like this.
  19. Sausagefingers

Sausagefingers Well-Known Member

With the space they have a walk through lemur or south American exhibit would be great.

bintarong and Rupert89 like this.
  20. FBBird

FBBird Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Birds.....