Join our zoo community

United States Dates for the American Zoochat Round-up

Discussion in 'Events & Meetups' started by okapikpr, 1 Aug 2009.

?

When to get together in Columbus, Ohio

Poll closed 15 Aug 2009.
  1. September 19 & 20

66.7%
  2. September 26 & 27

50.0%
  3. October 3 & 4

33.3%
  4. October 10 & 11

33.3%
  5. October 17 & 18

33.3%
  6. October 24 & 25

16.7%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. okapikpr

okapikpr Well-Known Member

According to the last poll taken, Columbus is the location in which most zoochatters can travel to. Here is a last poll to decide when this can happen this fall.

Here are the rules:

1. Please only vote if you think that you would have the possibility of traveling (physically and financially) to Columbus, OH this fall...no "I wishes or if I could".

2. Please vote for all dates that would be possible for you to travel and when you would like to visit. Please note, that during holiday weekends travel maybe more expensive and involve more crowds.

3. After two weeks of voting the weekend will be decided in which the most zoochatters can travel to Columbus, OH.

4. By posting these threads and polls, this does not mean that I am planning all or any of the arrangements. I have only provided the organization to figure out how and when the most zoochatters can get together in America. If you decide to go, you will be responsible for your travel arrangements.

2. okapikpr

okapikpr Well-Known Member

The dates above represent Saturdays and Sundays in late September and October. These are the only dates this fall in which the Wilds will be open to the public (the Wilds is open daily from June to August and open weekends only in May, September, and October) and will give sufficient time to arrange travel accomidations for zoochat members.

3. kbaker116

kbaker116 Well-Known Member

September I wish it was earlier I'm going there at the end of August. Ratz

4. Kifaru Bwana

Kifaru Bwana Well-Known Member 15+ year member

My heart is pounding ... at the excitement already. It will be some days still though as I am attending a course in species conservation/recovery.
    Should be able to tell you by mid next week.

5. Arizona Docent

Arizona Docent Well-Known Member 15+ year member

If Kifaru Bwana goes, he or she should get an award for person travelling the farthest! (Unless one of our Aussie friends want to beat that).

For me, September dates are best.

Once again, THANK YOU to Okapikpr for doing the polls.

When it comes time to arrange hotel (we will want to stay in the same place), does everyone agree with me it should be a modest hotel? Not a dump, but not a resort either. Something like Holiday Inn Express or Days Inn - relatively cheap, but nice enough to be comfortable and provide a complimentary self-serve breakfast.

6. mstickmanp

mstickmanp Well-Known Member

I wish I was going, but I have school by then.:(

7. Buckeye092

Buckeye092 Well-Known Member

I'd be delighted to help you guys arrange your stay here and pick out the best hotel.

8. Arizona Docent

We dont seem to be getting many responses for this. I would say as a rough number we need at least half a dozen (6) firm commitments to make the trip a go. As soon as this poll closes, may I suggest we put a short deadline (say 3 or 4 days) for people to post if they definitely plan to go. Were already cutting it a bit close for people to book plane tickets if the first weekend wins (which it looks like it will).

If we dont get enough, I say we plan for next year (2010) with a greater lead time. Say, start the polls at the beginning of the year (January) and plan for a summer trip. Even though crowds are bigger in summer, many zoos have more activities and longer hours. Also, it looks like there are some younger ZooChatters that can only go during summer break.

9. Kifaru Bwana

Kifaru Bwana Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Speaking frankly, I can commit whenever really from 19/9 onwards on the weekend.

I would personally appreciate a little lee-way so I can arrange for flights and all. At the moment I am looking at a EUR 583-670 window (involving US Airways, United, Continental, Lufthansa and American). Average travel time is 10 hours arriving on the Saturday eve ...? If that is allright we you folks out there.

Realistically for us 19/9-20/9 and 26/9-27/9 would be ideal.

Can either ArizonaDocent or okapikpr let us know what I should do (did I miss reading the guidelines correctly). Should I mark out both weekends?

Another thing is that requires some clarification for us: I am required to acknowledge to the EST/Homeland Security prior to travelling with which airline+flight no. I am due to travel, what my schedule will be and where I will be staying at night (well this means pre-booking the whole thing, yet - at this time - I do not know where all the other folks will be staying. I presume the best would be to gather at a motel and have an ice-breaker of sorts). Any guidance?

Last edited: 12 Aug 2009
  10. Arizona Docent

@Kifaru Bwana - The trip is one zoo Saturday and one on Sunday, so you would need to arrive Friday night, not Saturday night. We will all stay at the same hotel and give you the name of it if the trip goes through. But don't book anything yet - I have a feeling we will not have enough people for this year. We will know for sure in a week or so.

11. Buckeye092

Buckeye092 Well-Known Member

If anyone hasn't voted yet please post a comment and leave the dates you can come.

@Arizona Docent - I'm with you. If not as many people can go I simply say wait until next year. Maybe you guys could come after Polar Frontier opens.

12. Arizona Docent

13. dragon(ele)nerd

dragon(ele)nerd Well-Known Member

No problem! let me just ask my parents for about $ 2200 and spending money. JOKES! ;)
    Damn I do hope I could be involved in a round up one day though, love to meet some people here in person.

Hope you guys all exchange some valuable and well wanted conversation!