Join our zoo community

David Fleay Wildlife Park David Fleay's Wildlife Park

Discussion in 'Australia' started by MARK, 6 Dec 2009.

1. MARK

MARK Well-Known Member

Having visited last back in 1973 I felt it long over due to visit again, as Ben and I were touring a number of Wildlife parks in the Southeast corner of Queensland earlier in this year it was a good reason to go again.

When I visited back in 1973 the place seemed alive with Victoria crowned Pigeons almost at every turn they seemed to be every where but alas these days there would be very few if any in zoos in the country.

Since the Park these days is run by the State Government (DERM) they have started a number of breeding programs for some of our rare species such as the Mahogany glider and the Julia creek dunnart (the worlds only captive animals).

The wooden board walk which circuits the lagoon and the park is a major plus as it allows very good viewing of almost all the outside species.

If it's some of the rare Queensland species you want to see, then this is the place for you to see them, my number one "must see" on the list was the Lumholtz's Tree Kangaroo of which they had a lone female in a very lush exhibit, we were very lucky as the keeper had called her down from the trees for a close up look at her, the keeper had told us they did breed them but the infant had died along with the male, the only other LTR (a male) is located in a park in far north Queensland.

Some of the other must see's were the Bridled nailtail wallaby, Proserpine rock wallaby,and in the Nocturnal house Greater Bilby, Julia creek Dunnart, Northern Bettong, Mahogany Glider, Yellow bellied Glider, The Greater glider and Platypus.

Other species of interest where Black-necked storks, Gouldian Finch, Common Wombat, Southern Hairy-nosed Wombats, Koala's, Wedge-tailed eagles and Radjah Shelduck.

The animals looked quite at home here in the park all of them were displayed in natural surroundings which looked like their native habitats and just watching these animals go about there daily lives was wonderful, the Brolga storks were raising young which we got a number of good pics of. Other interesting animals to be seen were the pair of Cassowarys, a pair of fresh water crocs also a pair of Saltwater crocodiles of which the male was a decent size.

The Nocturnal house has a number of interesting species worth seeing some are mentioned above. All in all for people wanting to see Queensland wildlife species including some of the rare species then this is worth a visit, the many different animals living in a "stress free" environment was great to see. The many well established trees (Giant Figs ect) planted long ago add to the tropical rainforest feel, which only adds to the character of this park.

I was very fortunate back in 1973 to meet and talk to David Fleay who proudly told me he was the only man alive in the world today that was bitten (on the backside) by a Tasmanian Tiger. I feel very lucky to have met this great man.

Last edited: 6 Dec 2009
  2. Ara

Ara Well-Known Member

Thanks for that Mark; good stuff!
    I haven't been to Fleay's for about 30 years. Unfortunately it seems to be overshadowed by the big players in south-east Queensland.

3. jay

jay Well-Known Member 20+ year member

I have never been to Fleays. Currumbin I feel tends to take the limelight down there. Thanks for the review Mark.

4. MARK

MARK Well-Known Member

Ara is quite correct in that Fleays is overshadowed by some of other wildlife parks on the Gold coast I guess the state government is not to bothered about lifting the parks profile, We visited both Currumbin and Fleays on the same day as they are quite close, I will do a review about Currumbin soon.

5. Kifaru Bwana

Kifaru Bwana Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Any chance that Fleays might get another Lumholtz's Tree Kangaroo for breeding? What about the male in the far north (is it ARAZPA managed?)? What is the position of Currumbin in it (as SC if I am correct)?

6. MARK

MARK Well-Known Member

I did ask the keeper if the male up north could be obtained but they seemed unsure if it could?. It may of been a rescue animal.

"The Rainforest Habitat" at Port Douglas" do have TKs but unsure at this stage how many, they do have a website.

In regards to TK Fleay's only hold Queensland natives hence Lumholtz's, Currumbin hold only the Goodfellows Tree Kangaroo species.

Last edited: 6 Dec 2009
  7. ZYBen

ZYBen Well-Known Member

Have sorted the photos, will upload when we have a gallery, so I dont have to re-organise them.

8. MARK

MARK Well-Known Member

Thanks Ben looking forward to seeing them

9. kiang

kiang Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Are the black necked storks still breeding, if i remember correctly, didn't they have a first captive breeding with this species a few years ago

10. Ara

Ara Well-Known Member

Glad you called them Black Necked storks, kiang.

Many Aussies incorrectly call them Jabirus, but the Jabiru is a South American species.

11. MARK

MARK Well-Known Member

Kiang, Unsure about the Black-necked Storks breeding, You could email them as they do have a website.

David Fleay did have a number of "Firsts" breeding Australian animal species of course most would know he was the first to breed the Platypus :cool:,

I think Wedge-tailed eagles may of been another First for him.

12. MARK

MARK Well-Known Member

For those who are interested in some of David Fleays breeding achievements with Australian native animals this is what is stated on - Wikipedia,

If correct are the first captive breeding of the -

Platypus - 1943
    Mulgara- 1955
    Planigale- 1958
    Taipan- 1960
    Powerful Owl 1968
    Greater Sooty Owl- 1969
    Greay Goshawk- 1971
    Australian Masked Owl- 1971
    Australian Grass Owl- 1972
    Crested Hawk- 1975
    Wedge-tailed Eagle- 1977
    Fluffy Glider 1988

13. Hix

Hix Wildlife Enthusiast and Lover of Islands 15+ year member Premium Member

What's a Fluffy Glider?

Something they sell in the Gift Shop?

:p

Hix

14. MARK

MARK Well-Known Member

I was unsure about this one myself, thats why I pointed out above "if correct" ;)

15. MikeG

MikeG Well-Known Member 10+ year member

It's another name for the Yellow-bellied Glider

16. MARK

MARK Well-Known Member

Thank you for that Mike :cool:

17. Hix

Hix Wildlife Enthusiast and Lover of Islands 15+ year member Premium Member

Yes, Thanks!

:p

Hix

18. ZYBen

ZYBen Well-Known Member

Photos are Up :)

19. MARK

MARK Well-Known Member

Thank you Ben :)

20. MRJ

MRJ Well-Known Member 15+ year member Premium Member

Actually we (Moonlit Sanctuary) started the breeding program for JCD's with wild caught animals and presented Fleays with a group of captive bred animals. As I understand it they have abandoned the program, dumping most of the animals back in the bush at Julia Creek.

I also understand they have abandoned the Mahogany Glider program but in that case at least have placed animals with Qld fauna parks.