Join our zoo community

Deep Sea World Deep sea world news

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by kiang, 15 Jan 2016.

1. kiang

kiang Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Kifaru Bwana likes this.
  2. Quincey

Quincey Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Kifaru Bwana likes this.
  3. Kifaru Bwana

Kifaru Bwana Well-Known Member 15+ year member

More likely to hatch?

4. Quincey

Fingers crossed

Kifaru Bwana likes this.
  5. Dylan

Dylan Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Been a wee while since anyone posted here but I recently visited for the first time in 10 - 15 years. I'll post a quick review and species list to bring everyone up to speed. I went in the middle of the week and at lunch time so it was fairly quiet but coronavirus guidelines were well followed by both guests and attraction. The one-way system was well established early on, well carried out and took you through the whole attraction

After a slightly confusing entrance with a way too long ramp down over looking a beautiful loch. Except the unhealthy vomit-green colour and occasion flowing piece of plastic. It seems weird to me that a loch so close to the sea doesn't have a flow through so the water doesn't stagnate and turn a vile colour. The entrance to the building is fairly nondescript, looking more like a 70s leisure centre than a functioning aquarium.

The first hall has the Krakatoa exhibit, the reef tanks and the rocky coast tanks. You enter to the right of the Krakatoa tank, go by 2/3 of the reef tanks and re-enter the hall after going through the walkthrough and half of Amazon. The Krakatoa tank is a little generic of an underwater temple. The really fun thing here is the 0% signs. Nothing about what Krakatoa was or what's in the tank. The reef tanks are quite cute, small with anemones and some expected reef fish and a lot of rustic wood. There is also a Malawi cichlid tank

The next hall was half of the Amazon, split for the one-way system. This has the cylindrical tank with some tetra and cory which is really nice. The other larger tank here had some red-bellied piranha (which the website states as a separate section). There was an interesting sign about sustainable fish collection on the Rio Negro. The other side, once you've been through the Underwater safari has a few tanks for SA species, including some endangered species. Fairly nice with ok themeing.

Going down a very long hall way, one comes across the Underwater safari. Despite the sign to the contrary, the conveyor belt was working. The species in here was a mix of cold water, Atlantic species and the sand tiger shark. I love it because it was very peaceful to go round and wasn't over-themed. Every time you go round, there is something different to see.

The next tank is another cylinder with batfish which is fine but the purple lighting made taking pictures difficult. It's just ok. The Rocky coast is a trio of low, ex-touch tanks. The first is being turned into a Indo-Pacific reef so had no signs and some generic fish. The other two had cold water species. Most species were present elsewhere in the aquarium so nothing special. Also no signs. There was a large seahorse tank next which was ok, as were the Scottish coast and brackish tanks. One was empty but looked like it had housed mudskipper once. They were all fairly generic but at least they had signs.

My favourite part was next, the amphibian temple. 12 enclosures with a ton of amphibians and a reptile. They were mostly well planted and the amphibians were mostly lifers. There was also a lot about the threatened status of amphibians. The snapping-turtle enclosure was also nice and roomy. One terrarium marked with marbled treefrog and hourglass treefrogs had cobwebs in it so I don't know if they were still in it.

The seals were terrible. In ten years, the only change was some paint at the back. Terribly small with dark brown water. The enrichment looked fairly worn and there was plastic in the pool. The seals were very quiet and one would swim for a bit and then it would just stare into space. The first enclosures I've ever seen in a zoo that are truly terrible for their inhabitants. It's not like there is a giant area of green water right next door they could use. Oh wait there is

Over all, some nice species but the problems with lack of signage, the neglected state of some of the tanks and the seal enclosures are enough for me not to go back. It was £15 and I spent 3 hours there and went round 6 times so most people would have left much early. I avoided the cafe and gift shop. I hate gift shops in zoos because of the terrible hypocrisy of them but all the plastic made me hate this one in particular

Last edited: 12 Sep 2020
    Brum, TNT and OstrichMania like this.
  6. Dylan

X - unsigned
    * - unseen

Krakatoa -

Sailfin tang (X), Sergeant major (X), Brown-banded bamboo-shark (X), Elongate unicornfish (X), Red lionfish, Bigeye soldierfish (X), Silver moony

Coral reef -
    Yellow tang (X), Yellowtail purple tang (X), Common clownfish, Fire goby (X)

Lake Malawi -
    Afra cichlid, Electric yellow cichlid, Red zebra cichlid, Red-top cichlid, Demanson's cichlid, Bluegrey mbuna

Amazon -
    Cardinal tetra, Sterba's cory, an unidentified sp. of tetra (X), Red-bellied piranha , Leopard pleco, Blind cave fish, Red-tailed catfish (X), Pacu, Tiger sorubim, Mayan cichlid ?(X), Midas cichlid, Butterfly goodeid, Tequila goodeid, Anthony's dartfrog, Royal python

Underwater Safari -
    Sand tiger shark, Small-spotted catshark (*), Nursehound, Angelshark, Thornback ray, Common stingray, Common eagle-ray, Pollack, Saithe, Thicklip grey mullet, Atlantic horse mackerel, Turbot (*), Atlantic mackerel, Cuckoo wrasse, Ballan wrasse, Gilthead seabream

Temperate Coasts and associated tanks -
    Poutling, Orbicular batfish, bigeye soldierfish, Foxface rabbitfish, twotone tang (X), Bluegreen chromis (X), Threespot dascyllus (X), Thornback ray, Small-spotted catshark, White seabream (X), European seabass (X), pot-bellied seahorse, banded archerfish, 8-figure pufferfish

Amphibians -
    White's treefrog, Golden mantella (x2), Hourglass treefrog (*), Marbled treefrog (*), Oriental fire-bellied toad, Alligator snapping-turtle, Bornean eared-frog, Green mantella (*), Black-legged dartfrog, Barred tiger salamander, Axolotl

Seals -
    Eastern Atlantic harbour seal

I split into two posts bc the first was longer than I thought. Thanks to Furka, Koda and Bosje for the help with the fish identification.

7. Quincey

8. Quincey

"We're excited to announce that our Seal Harbour will undergo essential maintenance and upgrading over the next 10 weeks. Some aims to enhance the Seal Harbour’s facilities include introducing extended space for our seals whilst providing an improved experience for visitors.
    During this period, the harbour will be temporarily closed to the public to facilitate this.
    As of the 15th of April, resident Harbour Seals Benji, Cody, Laura and Nova will be temporarily relocated to Tynemouth Aquarium.
    We appreciate your patience and support as we work to create an even better environment for the pinniped group
    Stay tuned for updates on the progress and the grand reopening!"

Deep Sea World

felis silvestris and Kalaw like this.
  9. Dylan

A much needed upgrade. I was shocked at how poor their seal area was when I visited last.

felis silvestris and Kalaw like this.