Join our zoo community

Parco Natura Viva Defeated!

Discussion in 'Italy' started by Newzooboy, 24 Mar 2013.

1. Newzooboy

Newzooboy Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Having visited many zoos across the world, almost all using public transport (except for UK and South Africa)......my recent holiday to Venice and Verona in Italy ended in my first ever failure on a planned zoo trip.

The obvious choice was Parco Natura Viva, and although we understood that we without a car we would not be able to visit the drive-through section, the walking Fauna section of the park looked substantial enough to make it worthwhile nonetheless. Before our holiday, we were assured that it was possible to get to the park from Verona on public transport, but sadly this proved not to be the case.

On the morning of our visit, the very helpful proprietor at our B&B in central Verona told us the best option would be a cab from Verona (round trip about 70 Euro). I thought we could do better by getting as close as possible before resorting to a taxi, so we got a bus to the nearest small town (30 mins) but having arrived, were told that a there were no cabs. We got a number to call one but it would have to come from the next town, 10 miles away and thus would still cost 30 Euro each way. By that time it was past lunchtime, so we cut our losses and visited the gorgeous Lake Garda instead (nice photos of Great Crested Grebe!).

So, a zoo out of reach on this occasion and a lesson perhaps.......you need a car to visit this zoo or if not, just take the advice of the locals and get a cab from Verona.

Managed to console myself with discovering that there used to be a zoo in Verona and finding the remains of some of the enclosures. Does anyone know anything about this old zoo or better still, have any photos?

2. ANyhuis

ANyhuis Well-Known Member

I visited this fine zoo in the touristy Verona area a couple years ago. I was very impressed! Certainly Italy's best zoo. A very nice drive-through section, plus lots of interesting animals in the rest of the zoo. The African area is the best, with a nice chimpanzee island, a large lion habitat (with white lions), and the first time I'd seen hippos and rhinos exhibited together.

I'm very curious, after reading your story of your unsuccessful pursuit -- why didn't you just rent a car? That would be much cheaper than 2 taxi rides. Or don't you have a driver's license?

3. Arizona Docent

Arizona Docent Well-Known Member 15+ year member

As a fan of public transportation myself, I applaud your efforts! (My own city of Tucson is nearing completion of our first light rail system, although it has a very limited run from downtown to the U of A).

4. Kifaru Bwana

Kifaru Bwana Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Would be nice if they could do a bus service through the safari part for those on foot!

Same: improving public access / transport to/from around Verona to would be nice.