Join our zoo community

Degus

Discussion in 'Private Collections & Pets' started by Indlovu, 4 Oct 2009.

1. Indlovu

Indlovu Well-Known Member 10+ year member

I'm trying to persuade my mum and dad to let me have degus, but they are saying no because they 'stink' and are 'vermin'.

My research tells me that they do not smell - does anyone on ZooChat keep them? (Would like reviews!)

2. Dawn B

Dawn B Well-Known Member

My friend keeps them, they do smell and are just like giant Gerbils! They smell like Rats to me. Not perhaps what you wanted to hear but I have been round loads of times and can smell them immediately. He is in the process of putting heating in his new "rodent house" and once done, they will move n there.

3. Indlovu

Do you know how often he cleans them out (and how many he has)

4. Dawn B

Dawn B Well-Known Member

He cleans them about every third day I think (from memory) he has 6, but in 3 cages.

5. Richie Hell

Richie Hell Well-Known Member 15+ year member

I've got 9 degus, in two single sex groups.

Maybe I'm just accustomed to rodents, but I don't think they smell.

Furthermore, none of the visitors we've had have said they smell, that includes rodent hating family members, and our letting agency.

As with all animals they only smell if you don't clean them, and is also dependent on what floor covering you use. But generally, I find them less smelly than other rodents.

6. Indlovu

I'm looking at guinea pigs now, kept outside all year round in a hutch with a sleeping chamber and extra insulation.

7. Dawn B

Dawn B Well-Known Member

Yeah that must of been it, he never cleaned them!:rolleyes:

I used to keep Rats and Gerbils, they stank aswell even though they were cleaned regularly. You may well be right and you are accustomed to the smell.

Good luck with your Pigs, the same friend who had the Degu's keeps Satin and Sheltie Guinea Pigs too, great little characters.

8. Richie Hell

Richie Hell Well-Known Member 15+ year member

no need for that. Clearly not what I said at all...

9. Dawn B

Dawn B Well-Known Member

Im sorry I must of read that wrong then, I thought it said they only smell if you dont clean them!;)

Still as many Rodents pee all the time and poo also as they walk, unlike animals that urinate and defaecate in one place, the smell is spread round the entire living area and not confined to one spot. I understand though that a Degu's urine does not smell as strong as rodents like Rats or Mice, maybe that serves as a good thing for pet Degu owners.

10. Indlovu

Going to look at some in school holidays, see how much it would cost. It would be as a Birthday Present or something, I couldn't afford it myself.

11. Indlovu

Guinea Pig Update:

25/10: Purchased Hutch with Cover for £18.00 on ebay (£9.95 postage)
    26/10: Purchased Run for £22.67 on ebay (Free Postage)
    27/10: Purchased toys, food bowl, water bottle, hutch disinfectant, bedding from Pets at Home. Hutch arrived in post.

Anything I've forgotten to do? As far as I'm aware, all I need now is the run to arrive and to get the guinea pigs (£35.00 for two at pets at home).

Plus (Here's a question for people who have/have had guinea pigs) would you recommend to get males or females? Males are friendlier, but if one dies it is extremely hard to introduce another.

Edit: And by the way, can someone change the name of the thread to 'Small Pets'

Last edited: 27 Oct 2009
  12. Dawn B

Dawn B Well-Known Member

You sound like you have everything covered, well done! One thing I will say if they are coming from PAH, is make absolutely certain they are the same sex. My neice bought two females who had babies!! Ended up with a £360 emergency Vet bill and one dead female and 3 dead babies. That was their VET saying they were both females too!

13. James27

James27 Well-Known Member

I'd go with a breeder, they probably won't have the "we can't guarantee the animal's sex so it's not our fault if they breed" policy ;)

14. Indlovu

While I was at pets at home yesterday, we watched a boy getting two guinea pigs (they were gorgeous). While watching I asked a few questions, and I now know how to sex them myself. Plus they have 2 cages, one with males, one with females, making it more unlikely to get a mix.

15. Pt123

Pt123 Well-Known Member

Just wondered, as it is not clear from you post, are you planning on keeping your Guinea-pigs outdoors straight away?

If you are getting them from P@H at this time of year I would suggest you keep them indoors until April/May next year. The shock of the sudden temp change can kill them.

I have also heard plenty of stories of people getting mixed sex pairs sold as single sex.

16. Indlovu

Our plans have changed slightly, for the first winter they will stay in the garage, which is adjacent to my dad's office, giving it more heat. They will go outside in spring through to winter of the next year.

17. Hix

Hix Wildlife Enthusiast and Lover of Islands 15+ year member Premium Member

£35.00 for two Guinea Pigs?

They're only $10 each down here!

:p

Hix

18. Paulkarli08

Paulkarli08 Well-Known Member

I wouldn't get the guinea pigs from PetsatHome, very expensive, try you local pet shop, you will probably get them for around £14 each.

Females tend to get on better than males, unless they are brothers from the same litter, but that can change in an instant, I had 2 females, and added a third recently, to breed from, and they all get on well, and they are from different litters, and a 6 month age difference.

19. Indlovu

Pets at Home in Warrington is my local pet shop! (There's another called Pet's Pantry in my area, but it doesn't sell pets!). The Pets at Home here has a really good reputation. The one in Stockport, even better.They're a birthday present, so price is not a major concern for me.

20. reptile1517

reptile1517 Well-Known Member

I have kept degus for many years. I can assure you they do not smell. They do make a squeaking noise which some people find irritating. I have over 60 in several colonies. Also, with the right housing, they can be kept outside but if you are keeping them as "pets" something like a trio, I wouldn't recommend that. Come back to me by email if I can help further.

Attached Files: