Join our zoo community

Degus

Discussion in 'Private Collections & Pets' started by Indlovu, 4 Oct 2009.

1. Indlovu

Indlovu Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Thank you, but I now have a pair of guinea pigs instead - unfortunately I was the only member of the family who found Degus appealing.

2. Indlovu

By the way, in the end, the Guinea Pigs cost £12 each from Pets at home in Stockport. Unfortunately when we took them to the vet for a free check-up, we discovered one had a cold while the other had ringworm above his eye. Fortunately they have both responded to medication (also free as they had picked up these problems at the shop) and are making great pets!

3. Chlidonias

Chlidonias Moderator Staff Member 15+ year member

is that a typical price for guinea pigs in England? Its pretty damned expensive by our standards. Can get them easily in NZ for the equivalent of about two or three pounds!

4. James27

James27 Well-Known Member

Massive chains like Pets at Home sell regular coloured bearded dragons for £100, whilst a reputable reptile shop I know sells them for £60... Same situation with guinea pigs with different prices. People seem to trust them more so they're willing to pay loads more for them for some reason.

5. Indlovu

I think it is mainly because people don't bother to look anywhere else. In my case, Pets at Home was the cheapest.

6. James27

James27 Well-Known Member

I really think you would have found guinea pigs for cheaper than that if you'd looked around more. I'm sure my brothers was only something like £8.50

7. Indlovu

i think it depends on price. if you could pay 40 quid less for a beardie elsewhere, i would go elsewhere. when it's only a fiver different and with the more expensive coming with free health checks, i don't really mind.