Join our zoo community

Tiergarten Nürnberg DelphinLagune and Manatihaus

Discussion in 'Germany' started by Woxys, 25 Mar 2009.

1. Woxys

Woxys Member

Hello,

I think this theme deserves its own thread here.
    It is pretty difficult to obtain some new info, because ZOO Nürnberg releases almost no materials about planned and now also built new home for dolphins and manaties.
    So I think it would be wonderful if we shared some news here - I am sure some members from this forum visit ZOO Nürnberg... It would be very nice if they brought us some photos describing the construction of lagune.

Plans for new home for dolphins and manaties (picture by ZOO Nürnberg)
    http://tiergarten.nuernberg.de/v02/de/mod/bilder/B_delfin_lagune_plan08_B_20080709132312.jpg

Other sources (almost no update)

Delphinlagune im Tiergarten Nrnberg. Einzigartig in Europa. Delphinterapie, Artenschutz, Erlebnis, Bildung, Forschung.
    Tiergarten der Stadt Nürnberg / Home

Please, if you have new info, tell us here :oops: many people are excited about this delphinLagune! Thank you :)

2. Sun Wukong

Sun Wukong Well-Known Member

Take a look at the answer posted in the other thread about the TIERGARTEN of Nuremberg...

3. Woxys

Woxys Member

4. Woxys

Woxys Member

5. PeGe

PeGe Member

Though i am still wondering if there will be (chemical?) prevention concerning algae-growth and how unsufficient salt -concentration avoided when it's raining.
    Some days i found a graphic showing the old (current) pools named as "winterbecken",
    so pools for colder winter days.
    I am looking forward if the animals can change between indoor and outdoor enclosures during the colder period or not.
    It will be an improvement for the animals, at least if there won't be too many additional specimens,
    although i wouldńt be sad to see e.g. a Phocoena phocoena there (Yes, i know, dreams are worth being dreamt). Maybe even instead of those boring not-endangered Tursiops truncatus, but the zoo has to keep his visitors satisfied and therefore attractive species are necessary.

6. leclub

leclub New Member

I just know that in winter a air hall will be built above part of the exhibit

7. PeGe

PeGe Member

8. kiang

kiang Well-Known Member 15+ year member

9. kiang

10. kiang

A female manatee has arrived at the zoo from Beauval, where she was born.

11. ANyhuis

ANyhuis Well-Known Member

I was there, at this zoo, in late May. Wow, the Manatee House and Dolphin Lagoon are amazing! The Manatee House is very tropical, with many beautiful butterflies in the air. While walking through, you are constantly crossing bridges over the deep pool, below which are at least 3 manatees and many Amazonian fish.

One of my favorite parts of this complex is the underwater viewing gallery, called the Blue Salon. The wide viewing windows give great looks at the manatees and across the carpeted hall is a very deep blue look into the Dophin Lagoon. It looks like you are looking out into the blue ocean.

The dolphin and sea lion show drew a big crowd, most of whom were delighted. I personally thought the show was bit heavy on "education" and didn't have enough "entertainment" (ie, tricks).