Join our zoo community

Denver Zoo Denver Zoo News

Discussion in 'United States' started by penguinman, 10 Mar 2006.

Tags:
  1. Arizona Docent

Arizona Docent Well-Known Member 15+ year member

I see from these plans that the leopard exhibit will be for clouded leopards. The previous plans I had seen called for black leopard.

This is whole exhibit area is desperately needed to improve what is otherwise a very substandard zoo (except for Predater Ridge).

2. gnuzoo

gnuzoo Active Member

That's a harsh assessment. Why do you feel it is substandard?

3. FSBlue

FSBlue Well-Known Member

Thanks for sharing. The 3-D model certainly helped bring it to life.

4. Arizona Docent

Because the majority of the grounds are given over to generic square yards for hoofstock - no design whatsoever, just plots of flat land with a chain link fence. And the cat house is ATROCIOUS - snow leopards in tiny indoor cases that are barely big enough for small cats, let alone big cats. I honestly think the cat house alone is reason enough for them to lose their AZA accreditation. (Even forum members who like Denver Zoo agree that the cat house should be demolished). Of course the monkey/ape trail is not bad, so maybe forum members who like the zoo are primate fans. Or maybe I just didn't give the zoo a fair chance, since I only had half a day and did not get to see the side with the polar bear and wolf exhibits, which are supposed to be quite nice. I was also there in January, so all the trees were bare - maybe I would like it better in summer. The new Asia area looks promising, and I would not mind going back in spring or summer once it is complete to give the zoo a second chance.

5. BlackRhino

BlackRhino Well-Known Member

Their accreditation would never be revoked because of the cat house. The cats that live there are still given the best of care, and that's really what's important. Every zoo has exhibits that many would call atrocious, although I think if an animal is being provided for with the proper care, the living conditions cannot be called atrocious.

After Asian Tropics their next project is some sort of Asian Cat Forest. I don't remember what it's called exactly, but you can read about it under the Master Plan section of their website.

6. snowleopard

snowleopard Well-Known Member 15+ year member Premium Member

Bravo BlackRhino for finding the latest Asian Tropics plans! I can't wait for the complex to be finished, as it has been in the works for years now.

@Arizona Docent: the Denver Zoo is rated in the top 10 American zoos in 8 different categories in the book "America's Best Zoos", and with almost 2 million visitors each year it is in the top handful of zoos in terms of popularity. I have regurgitated this information before, but primates are often the #1 most popular zoo animal due to their activity and "Primate Panorama" is very impressive. With 30 different species in mainly lush surroundings it is close to the #1 zoo in North America for primates. "Predator Ridge" is an award-winning, terrific section of the zoo, the "Tropial Discovery" building is excellent, "Northern Shores" is above average and "Bird World" is easily one of the best bird buildings in North America. Add it all up and I personally feel that it is a contender for a top 12 zoo, and both authors of "America's Best Zoos" would probably agree with that statement. I have often said that the cat area is atrocious, and I thinnk that it should have been bulldozed a decade ago. The zoo is ranked as the #2 American zoo for hoofstock as the collection is incredible, but I agree that many of the paddocks are bland and uninspiring. However, "Asian Tropics" is going to be a 10-acre area of the zoo and several of the disappointing hoofstock enclosures are disappearing in favour of the new development.

Many years down the road the "Asian Temperate Forest" area is next on the construction list, with Amur tigers, snow leopards, Pallas' cats and Siberian lynx receiving shiny new exhibits. I'm sure that you will one day spend a full day at the zoo and come away with a much more favourable impression.

7. BlackRhino

BlackRhino Well-Known Member

The future of the Denver Zoo is a bright one. Does anyone know if they have broken ground on Asian Tropics yet? At this rate it probably won't open until 2013, as an exhibit of that scope will take at least 3 years.

8. Zooplantman

Zooplantman Well-Known Member

I heard today that the project has just gone out to bid. So construction can't even begin for at least a few months.

9. Arizona Docent

This is indeed exciting, even if it's not very original. Their two nearest large zoos, Colorado Springs and Salt Lake City, both opened virtually the exact same thing within the last couple years. Still, I like the idea of zoos choosing outdoor exhibits for animals that do well in their city's climate. So it makes sense that these rocky mountain zoos would choose cats that can live in snow.

10. kiang

kiang Well-Known Member 15+ year member

11. mstickmanp

mstickmanp Well-Known Member

Here is a video of the new fossa:

Last edited by a moderator: 6 Jul 2017
  12. Fossa dude

Fossa dude Well-Known Member

Denver Zoo had a Sumatran Orangutan baby on June 19. The baby is a Female named Hesty. The mom Nias was a first time mother and didn't know how to nurse. Hesty almost died but the Denver Zoo keepers gave Hesty a formula that saved here life. Now she lives happily with her mother in an off exhibit. If you want more on Hesty there is a video at Welcome to Denver Zoo :D

13. KCZooFan

KCZooFan Well-Known Member

14. Javan Rhino

Javan Rhino Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Is it a natural birth or parthogenesis?

15. Kifaru Bwana

Kifaru Bwana Well-Known Member 15+ year member

AZA SSP zoos do not have to resort to parthogenesis for novelty value. :) Komodo dragons are bred quite frequently and continually in various zoos (incl. Denver Zoo).

16. Javan Rhino

Javan Rhino Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Ahhh, fair enough :).

17. Pygathrix

Pygathrix Well-Known Member 15+ year member

I don't think any zoos choose parthenogenesis. If anyone does the "choosing", it is the female Komodo dragon.

18. gerenuk

gerenuk Well-Known Member 10+ year member

And parthenogenesis conception of a Komodo Dragon did occur a few years ago at the Sedgwick County Zoo in Wichita, KS.

19. Kifaru Bwana

Kifaru Bwana Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Can't you take a joke? ;) I was merely pointing to the fact that very few instances of natural reproduction have yet occurred in Europe, whereas in the States natural reproduction has become quite frequent and the population is self-sustaining (which we alas cannot say for our beloved dragons in Europe yet).

Back on topic! Can you describe their exhibit at Denver? What makes for a very successful Komodo dragon breeding programme there ... what is the secret?

20. snowleopard

snowleopard Well-Known Member 15+ year member Premium Member