Join our zoo community

Denver Zoo Denver Zoo News

Discussion in 'United States' started by penguinman, 10 Mar 2006.

Tags:
  1. kiang

kiang Well-Known Member 15+ year member

2. Jordan-Jaguar97

Jordan-Jaguar97 Well-Known Member

Bodhi a male Asian elephant will be arriving at the end of the year from Colombus zoo.

3. Kifaru Bwana

Kifaru Bwana Well-Known Member 15+ year member

4. Milwaukee Man

Milwaukee Man Well-Known Member 10+ year member

5. JBZvolunteer

JBZvolunteer Well-Known Member

A keeper at the zoo has been bitten by a wild bat at the zoo that was rabies positive.

6. Milwaukee Man

Milwaukee Man Well-Known Member 10+ year member

7. snowleopard

snowleopard Well-Known Member 15+ year member Premium Member

Today I added about 250 photos of Denver Zoo in the ZooChat gallery and here is an excerpt from my summer review (from the 50 day, 50 zoo/aquarium road trip):

Denver Zoo has 5 outstanding areas (Primate Panorama, Tropical Discovery, Toyota Elephant Passage, Predator Ridge and Hoofstock Paddocks) , 4 average areas (Northern Shores, Sheep Mountain, Bird World and Pachyderms) and 2 terrible sections (Feline House and Bear Mountain – although notably historic). The zoo seems to have something for everyone in terms of its animal collection, its modern, Omaha-sized exhibit complexes, and even with the many historic details. What it definitely lacks is any kind of children’s zoo as for the very first time on this trip I toured a facility completely alone. Denver has a carousel and a small train loop but there is not a major playground or decent kiddie zone and there is so much to see and do while walking vast distances that taking small children along didn’t seem like a great idea as it already took me 6 hours to see everything going by myself at a decent pace.

Denver Zoo even gets the finer details correct, such as having a top-class gift shop; two outdoor Wildlife Theaters with several shows each day; a brand-new huge foldout map that is very similar to the maps produced by the San Diego parks and the SeaWorld establishments; wide pathways to accommodate the more than 2 million people that will attend the zoo in 2012; and cheap admission ($15) and cheap food in comparison to most other major zoos. The past 20 years have seen 4 outstanding exhibit complexes constructed and I’m already excited to eventually re-visit the zoo when the Felines House is turned into an Asian Temperate Forest and many of the big cats finally get spacious new habitats. I’ll end this lengthy review, perhaps my most detailed ever, with one thought. I am curious as to what Denver Zoo looks like in the wintertime under a couple of feet of snow, as when it comes to the climate that is one area that San Diego Zoo will always have on its side.

8. snowleopard

snowleopard Well-Known Member 15+ year member Premium Member

9. TeaLovingDave

TeaLovingDave Moderator Staff Member 10+ year member

Colour me unsurprised - I've got two close friends who live in Denver and apparently all the locals have been expecting it for years.

10. Pacarana

Pacarana Well-Known Member

I haven't seen this thread yet. I've been posting on another one but I'll just post the rest on here as this one is longer and more widely used.

11. Pacarana

TEP -

The tapir specific exhibit was renovated with the following: Compacted support wires and a typical shade structure. All but one tree died.

The ruddy shelducks relocated to Primate Panorama Forest Aviary.

The Indian rhinoceroses have rotated to all the rotational exhibits without problems. (Elephants have too)

The white-handed gibbon pair have also made it across all the Islands and the hesitant male is now comfortable on all three Islands.

The young clouded leopard pair are now out more than usual. They are starting to get more comfortable with their surroundings, and aren't nervous of the Elephants any more. Though, they will only show themselves on cooler days and when visitor presences is low.

There are good days and bad days with Mimi the elephant. Though she is coming out on exhibit more since the zoo annouced her illness.

The elephant, Bodhi, is in full must.

I think that about sums it up for TEP this summer.

12. TeaLovingDave

She certainly had a bad day yesterday - and this is why you must always read a thread before posting in it - as she was put to sleep on Tuesday, as noted in this thread earlier!

13. Pacarana

I think you are the one that should be reading the whole thread. As noted by me early, on page 3 I believe, I said, "I haven't seen this thread yet. I've been posting on another one but I'll just post the rest on here as this one is longer and more widely used." Meaning, this is old information but since all but one sentence hasn't been renewed (i.e... Mimi's death) I thought it would still make use to some. If you go back a couple pages in the U.S. threads than you will so my thread about Denver Zoo. As already discussed in my post, I will be transferring some data to this thread that was on the other thread.

14. TeaLovingDave

I did see your other post; my point was that if you are going to cross-post information from one thread to another it is always a good idea to check the information hasn't been posted already, or has been superceded :)

15. Pacarana

Thank you, That advice will be remembered.

16. Pacarana

17. blospz

blospz Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Oh a baby tapir! Denver is looking more concrete for a big zoo vacation next year.

18. BeardsleyZooFan

BeardsleyZooFan Well-Known Member 10+ year member

19. Gulo gulo

Gulo gulo Well-Known Member

Via Denver Zoo Facebook:

We have finished the updates to the old pachyderm building! Since the Asian elephants and Malayan tapirs moved to Toyota Elephant Passage, we were able to make renovations to improve the space the hippos and black rhinos call home. While the black rhinos have been out enjoying their expanded outdoor yard (where the elephants used to live) and new indoor space for several weeks, the hippos had to wait a bit longer for the renovations to be finished on the south side of the building. We now have two indoor hippo pools and two outdoor hippo yards for our hippos Bert and Mahali to enjoy. Be sure to stop by and check out the updates when you visit.

20. Kifaru Bwana

Kifaru Bwana Well-Known Member 15+ year member

What is actually happening vis a vis new breeding pair / plans for the black rhinos at Denver?