Join our zoo community

Denver Zoo Denver Zoo News 2018

Discussion in 'United States' started by Milwaukee Man, 13 Jan 2018.

1. SharkFinatic

SharkFinatic Well-Known Member 5+ year member

2. Echobeast

Echobeast Well-Known Member 5+ year member

3. SharkFinatic

They're probably getting more ambitious, trying whatever they can to sabotage zoo operations as part of their master plan to have them abolished. Then again, they've been getting more aggressive with all their efforts to gain "justice" for animals in general, hence their mission to turn the entire world vegan.

StoppableSan likes this.
  4. John Marchwick

John Marchwick Well-Known Member 5+ year member

5. blospz

blospz Well-Known Member 10+ year member

I was unable to watch the video at work, but what a headline to fuel separating the bears. I am not a polar bear expert, but from what I know, Cranbeary does not look like she has gained enough weight this fall for a polar bear cub to make it to full term.

6. John Marchwick

7. StoppableSan

StoppableSan Well-Known Member 5+ year member

What modifications will they make to the Northern Shores facility for the grizzlies? Access to the hill up top? Natural substrate? Shallower pools?

8. SharkFinatic

9. TZFan

TZFan Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Milwaukee Man and StoppableSan like this.
  10. John Marchwick

Kifaru Bwana likes this.
  11. Echobeast

Just visited the zoo today. Here are some updates:
    • Lots of areas were blocked off with construction fences.
    • Monkey island and the Monkey building were surrounded by fences. A docent said it’s temporary while they figure out access points for the veterinary hospital renovations and those exhibits are going to be relatively untouched.
    • Pathway in front of ringtail lemur/crowned lemur and Wolf’s guenon exhibits were also blocked off. Pathway in Primate Panorama between Emerald Forest and outdoor orangutan exhibit was also blocked. Workers were replacing the meshing on multiple exhibits in these areas.
    • Baby aye-aye, Tonks was super active in her exhibit. Only saw one other adult in there but all three are together.
    • Grizzly bears are still in Bear Mountain. Polar bear viewing was blocked off. Construction vehicles were in there. They’ve probably started renovating that exhibit for the grizzly bears. No clarification as to what they are doing to it. Considering after the vet building the next project is a major renovation of Northern Shores to bring back polar bears, it probably isn’t anything major.
    • New Pzevalski’s horse addition about doubles their previous space and ends right next to the tiger exhibit. Impressed with that.
    • Where the old red panda exhibit was (right across from the Pzevalski’s horse and Bactrian camels), a new 4-D theatre is now open. It’s currently showing an Ice Age Christmas movie. Design fits in with the Asian theme of Elephant Passage so it actually looks real nice.
    • New shade structures are being finished for the seals and sea lions. Probably in response to a recent USDA complaint they received about too little shade over those exhibits.
    • New male elephants, Jake and Chuck are on normal exhibit rotation with the other elephants. Saw them in the building being trained and then they shifted to the adjacent outdoor yard. They will fill up empty spaces well.
    Overall a great day. Animals were extremely active especially the primates and wild dogs.

StoppableSan, Brum and Kifaru Bwana like this.
  12. John Marchwick

Did u upload any photos on Denver Zoo media?

13. Echobeast

I would’ve if I had remembered my camera!

14. SharkFinatic

Kifaru Bwana and blospz like this.
  15. LesulaMonkey

LesulaMonkey Well-Known Member

I hope Into The Wild has penguins, Przewalski's horses, bison, and a China exhibit with REALLY RARE animals like golden monkeys.

I hope Asian Highlands has bharals, giant pandas, takins, red pandas, and Asian cranes and pheasants.

Last edited by a moderator: 25 Jan 2019
    Kifaru Bwana likes this.