Join our zoo community

Denver Zoo Denver Zoo News 2020

Discussion in 'United States' started by SharkFinatic, 10 Jan 2020.

1. Echobeast

Echobeast Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Yes Tatu was born last year to Neliah. Kamara is the mom to these two. All three were sired by Tobias.

Elephant Enthusiast likes this.
  2. Jambo

Jambo Well-Known Member 5+ year member

3. Zoofan15

Zoofan15 Well-Known Member 5+ year member

A Grévy's zebra colt was born May 8:

WATCH: Denver Zoo reveals newborn zebra colt

The parents are Bakari and Fara. The last time the Denver Zoo had a zebra birth was in October 2015, when Bosley was born to Punda and Farasi.

4. ThatOneZooGuy

ThatOneZooGuy Well-Known Member

The new Stingray Cove is open to the public with a $5 entry fee, and a “Beach Bar” themed concession!

Exhibits - Denver Zoo

5. ThatOneZooGuy

Denver Zoo received a bachelor group of 3 new Western Lowland Gorillas Mbeli, Kazi, and Gunther from Zoo Atlanta through AZA recommendations.

Three's Company - Denver Zoo

Jungle Man and StoppableSan like this.
  6. ThatOneZooGuy

Denver Zoo recently announced the birth of two more Bongo calves, Carrot and Fennel!

7. ThatOneZooGuy

Though never formally announced on social media or their website, the Denver Zoo recently received a new Alligator Snapping turtle named Billy!

Jungle Man and StoppableSan like this.
  8. ThatOneZooGuy

9. Buldeo

Buldeo Well-Known Member

I'm staunchly against touch pools in zoos, but the zoo did a decent job in making Stingray Cove into a proper exhibit rather than a sideshow with a tent somebody randomly pitched. If they had followed through with the stone work on the waterfall throughout the pavilion itself then they would really have something.

Like, steal directly from Steinbeck's The Log from the Sea of Cortez. Throw up some hand drawn pictures of intertidal creatures, etc. Have a second tide pool with the usual suspects. Create a habitat versus an exhibit. Put in a splash zone a la Fresno-Chaffee if you must. I'll need to check out the menu at the "Beach Bar" again, but all I remember was a churro. Have an empanada or three, tamales, roasted corn,etc.

That said, thanks to the social-distancing measures in place the actual experience wasn't as hellish as it can be. I'm certain this is standard at most touch pools in zoos, but once you make it to the front of the line the cashier rings you up, gives you the basic details, and has you wash up to the elbow. A second host gives you the rundown on touching and feeding (it's like a soft suction!), and sets you up along the pool. Once at the pool you check it all out, then reach in and... what happens happens. The rays seemed especially hungry as they would mob each section as a new group came up.

Speaking of food, the five buck entrance fee isn't outrageous, but only one bit of fish is underwhelming. They should at least give you two pieces of fish. Maybe extra for shrimp.

Beyond that it was perfectly fine. It's not something I'd do on a regular basis, of course,but every so often I could see doing it. Especially since it's the closest I'll be getting to salt water for the seeable future.

Back to that whole social distancing thing...

As previously mentioned I wasn't impressed with the visitors at Cheyenne Mountain Zoo or with the operations side of things. It feels a bit unfair to compare the two now that Colorado is under a statewide mask order, but Denver Zoo felt more prepared of the two.

The pathway through the zoo was divided in twain; one way traffic in each direction, and every so often a member of staff was perched on a lifeguard chair to observe and direct traffic.

Most of the indoor exhibit spaces were closed, but those that were open (Predator Ridge, Tropical Building, Great Apes) were staffed with people to control traffic and move on groups that hung around too long or got too close.

Mobile ordering is now encouraged throughout the zoo at all dining facilities. Pick your table, place an order, and they'll text or call you when your order is ready. You pick it up at a designated spot.

Tables had a sign that indicated whether or not it had been cleaned. Guests were expected to flip the sign when they were done and a member of staff would come by and clean the table eventually. This was hit-and-miss as I observed a lot of people ignoring the signs and cleaning wasn't always prompt.

A few staffers were engaged in walking around the grounds and cleaning handrails and high touch points.

Now real commentary on the guests due to the mask order, but they were mostly compliant. More than a few had the mask under the chin or below the nose, but it's something I guess.

By and large I think Denver Zoo did a good job given the circumstances. If the other large zoos are able to do something similar then zoo-going should be a decently okay thing to do.

Silver lining to Stingray Cove now being open: the pathway in front of the old cathouse is open, and one of the exhibits now houses a serval. Unfortunately the exhibit seems fitting for a small bear or a medium cat*, and thus makes spotting the serval a bit of a challenge.

*- If they filled the moat in, did some replanting, and glassed it in you'd have a pretty nice leopard exhibit.

Anyway, I said brief. This is too long as it is!

One more thing actually:

The zoo has hired local artists to paint murals for various spots on the grounds. These are usually placed on barricades.

Local Artists Beautify Denver Zoo Campus - Denver Zoo

snowleopard and ThatOneZooGuy like this.
  10. ThatOneZooGuy

I completely agree with you on Stingray Cove. I certainly think that it’s a nice area, if only a bit overpriced for what you get. Although, I certainly don’t feel bad giving the zoo a bit of money as they reopen. I do also like the beach bar theme, which I thought a nice tough. I do think that it should fit in a whole lot more when they renovate the old feline house. I don’t care what they turn it into, so long as they update it which they definitely need to do.

The servals in that yard are definitely not easy to see, but I’m sure (she? he? I can’t remember lol) likes it. For me at least, it is nice to still see some other species in the old cat cages that are a bit more fitting than what was once there, except for the Amur Leopard but they now have double their previous space so it’s better, if only slightly. I’ve seen the Amur Leopard, Patagonian Mara, and both Macaw Species in the two times I’ve visited since reopening.

I do have one question however. I feel like I heard something about the sloths moving to Tropical Discovery since the closure of Bird World in an article a while back. When I was inside, I was too excited just to be in there again (especially with how empty it was) and forgot to look for any signage. So I was wondering if you or anybody else on this forum knows the sloths current whereabouts.

Finally, the only issue I find is that sometimes you can easily get caught up in crowds with the staggered entry and one way path, however if you go all the way to Primates, it typically falters off and you find yourself pretty alone for the rest of the walk. Although I will admit, I am kind of grateful for how Cheyenne Mountain Zoo had theirs set up when I first visited as I wanted to double back and see Waters Edge three times, and their rules allowed for that :D.

Buldeo and StoppableSan like this.
  11. Buldeo

Buldeo Well-Known Member

Supporting the zoo is largely why I decided to try it out, but the beach bar vibe doesn't quite work for me. If they wanted to be Baja-inspired the concession stand should be painted bright blue with yellow trim and the Cerveza Pacifico logo right on the side.

I do like the whale tail umbrellas though. Those are fun.

The serval is a female if I'm not mistaken. Nope, male! An old Facebook post corrected me, but he's nearly 15 so he probably does enjoy the extra privacy. As previously mentioned though, with some minor adjustments it'd be a great home for a leopard.

I have no definitive information unfortunately. I asked the keeper just before Bird World closed about their plans, and he said they'd remain on site, but off-exhibit(?) for the foreseeable future. Part of me thinks that they're still in Bird World. From all outward appearances nothing has been done with the building. They just locked the door. You can see all the plants through the windows still, not to mention that the penguins, Stellar Sea Eagles, and Cassowary are still using it.

I might go again, and, if I do, I'll be sure to ask somebody.

It was actually pretty dead at the entrance for me. Popped in at noon, and I don't think there were any real crowds until the Kamala Cafe. There was some activity around the orangutans, but they were particularly active. Unlike the new bachelor troop of apes who were already bored with the new space. All in all though, it was a good day for visiting. Nearly everybody was out, active, and there were some great vocalizations going on.

-----------------

So I've been mulling over some aspects of Denver's master plan, and I hope they'd do some adjustments to it. For example, drop the whole Pacific Northwest theme. It's been done to death. Expand on the riparian aspects; i.e., start with a new sea lion/seal pool. Take some inspiration from Fresno-Chaffee. I'd go for the tunnel from St. Louis too.

From there move to the touch pool, a tide pool, and then start up into the riparian ecosystems. This middle section is still only vague since I'm divided between focusing on a Baja California-Southwestern US thing or Coastal California. The former phases out grizzlies, but you could put in jaguars. The latter would culminate in a whizbang grizzly exhibit, and you could give the bald eagles a new home too. Perhaps one that allows them to fish as well.

Anyway, random musings. I'll need to think on it some more.

12. Zoofan15

Zoofan15 Well-Known Member 5+ year member

The 1.1 African lion cubs have been named:

Oskar and Araali — those are the names chosen for two lion cubs born at the Denver Zoo in April.

Oskar was named after Oskar Blues Brewery in Lyons, and Araali, which means "thunder in Swahili" is meant to pay homage to her grandfather Sango, who was named for the Yoruba god of thunder.

The pair of baby lions were born at the zoo on April 23 to mom, Kamara, 4, and dad, Tobias, 4.

The 2 lion cubs at the Denver Zoo have their names

13. Buldeo

Buldeo Well-Known Member

So it appears that the sloths will be moving into the Tropical Discovery building, but not until their exhibit is completed. No details on that so it could be a free roam thing or that spot where the zoo's last capybara was. I'll try to find out more.

They are, indeed, on-site and off-exhibit until that exhibit is complete,but they were coy as to where they were residing. My money is still on Bird World.

Why not both? If you dub the section "Alta California" you can fit in both paths since the Spanish colonial state was comprised of modern-day California, Arizona, New Mexico and parts of Nevada and Colorado. You get a history lesson and a whole slew of new animals to look at!

Also: The premium encounter with a polar bear sounds a bit naff since you can't guarantee the bear's interest. Keep the idea, but substitute in sea lions. How? Swim with the sea lions. Yes, in the same pool. It's a thing that happens in California and Baja, but no zoo would go for it due to liability issues.

The compromise I've been fiddling with is intertwining pools so you could still engage each other behind a sheet of plexi glass.

14. ThatOneZooGuy

Jungle Man likes this.
  15. ThatOneZooGuy

Sadly, Hari-Kari the Amur Leopard passed away at the age of 17.

16. Dhole dude

Dhole dude Well-Known Member

Was that there last Amur leopard?

17. ThatOneZooGuy

I believe so, although there may be a female of similar age. Denver Zoo has been phasing out the species that previously resided in the Feline House complex for several years so that they can renovate that area in the future. Hopefully replacing it with something along the lines of an ‘Alta California Complex’.

StoppableSan and Kifaru Bwana like this.
  18. WanderingDragon

WanderingDragon Well-Known Member

I notice they no longer list Amur Leopards on their website. Does anyone know when the female Dazma passed away? If she was still there she'd be over 19 years old by now (born 3 April 2001, Cheyenne Mountain Zoo) and resident at Denver for over 17 years!

ThatOneZooGuy likes this.
  19. Kifaru Bwana

Kifaru Bwana Well-Known Member 15+ year member

They were both alive and kicking in 2018. Not sure what happened since, I highly doubt that after the M Hari-Kari ... that female Dazma might yet be alive and certainly so since all mention of Amur leopards has been removed from their website. As to the date of passing, no frigging idea. Sorry!

20. WanderingDragon

WanderingDragon Well-Known Member

I gathered that. Get out of bed the wrong side this morning? I just hoped that someone who visits Denver Zoo might know what happened, as the zoo had not bothered to commemorate her in any way.