Join our zoo community

Denver Zoo Denver Zoo News

Discussion in 'United States' started by penguinman, 10 Mar 2006.

Tags:
  1. penguinman

penguinman New Member

Well it was requested so here it is.

I have been there a few times, but not extremely recently. I did, however, see Predator Ridge.

It was pretty cool. It has a big structure somewhat meant to look like an African hut thing and there's info about the hut inside. Around the hut is an African Tortoise. Then inside you can see a huge mixed exhibit with hyenas and African wild dogs. Its pretty cool to see.

They also have some neat exhibits for the mountain goats and ibex where its really steep rocks piled on top of each other. There is also a cool exhibit where they have emus and kangaroos and it looks really realisitic.

:eek:

2. Zoo_Boy

Zoo_Boy Well-Known Member

wht the hyeana and wild doge were together have u got photos? plz say u do preadator ridge is so kool, i save all pics i find of tht exhibit, i gots a bout 250 saved and a cd its so kool

3. Zooish

Zooish Well-Known Member 15+ year member

I looked at predator ridge photos, its VERY cleverly designed to give the illusion that lions, hyenas and wild dogs are all living in the same space. Moats dropped below the line of vision are hidden from view and give the impression of seamlessness.

Its impossible to house these species together, they are mortal enemies. There will no doubt be bloodshed if they're housed together.

4. Zoo_Boy

thts what i thought, but weel wait for a responce, eventually zooish, i have seen the plans that u will stand in a particular spot, see the lions the dogs , then a savannah out back, which will surround a lot of the predator ridge area

5. penguinman

penguinman New Member

Ya, the lions are seperate but I could have sworn that the dogs and hyenas were together... maybe I am just crazy ;). I don't have pics either :( , I don't really get out to the zoo much because my mom doesn't like to drive far because her foot is messed up. The only time I can go is in the summer... :( .

It is a pretty cool exhibit though, and they also have a very nice reptile/fish house which has komodo dragons!

6. Zoo_Boy

are u 100% sure they were together cause tht sound really weird. they are naturl predators of each other.

7. penguinman

penguinman New Member

No, not 100%. There was probably a barrier I didn't notice. What was really cool was the AWDs were all lying in a pile right next to the glass. They are so cool :eek:

8. Jaguar

Jaguar Member

I saw that lion/African wild dog/spotted hyena exhibit on a show called Ultimate Zoo once, it looks like such a nice habitat, I love how the moats are hiden from the public.

9. snowleopard

snowleopard Well-Known Member 15+ year member Premium Member

Asian Tropics Exhibit

This is a link to the "Asian Tropics" exhibit, a 10 acre set of rotating enclosures opening in 2009. I visited Colorado's Denver Zoo in 2006, and their new "Predator Ridge" exhibit featuring rotating spotted hyenas, lions and african hunting dogs was excellent.

10. Kifaru Bwana

Kifaru Bwana Well-Known Member 15+ year member

The exhibit plan looks quite impressive and imaginative. It is probably a world first that the 3 mega fauna, eles, rhinos and tapirs can rotate between all exhibits.

A question: the plans talks of an ele herd of 8-12 individuals. Where will these come from? Currently, Denver Zoo only keeps 2 cow Asians .... :confused:

11. okapikpr

okapikpr Well-Known Member

Last I heard about elephant makeup, Denver would eventually become a bull holding facility. Which is great that they plan to have several pens. But you would be surprised, many zoos deemed as breeding facilities will be transfering out their older females in the next several years and there are a lot more asian elephants in private hands than in zoos.

12. snowleopard

The photos of the animal "crossings" across public walkways are brilliant, and hopefully the finished article builds on the success of "Predator Ridge". I adore the fact that the elephants, rhinos and tapirs will be rotated through different exhibits throughout the day, as I'm a firm believer in the rotation policy that many modern zoos seem to be adopting. Why not have a handful of exhibits to create enrichment for captive animals, rather than the same one that they see day after day after day...

13. NZ Jeremy

NZ Jeremy Well-Known Member

@snowleopard: that link you provided didn't say how much it would all cost, looks like 30 mil to me..?

14. PAT

PAT Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Melbourne zoos elephant village has crossings and they rotate between three exhibits.

15. PAT

Does this mean that the hippos will get the whole pachyderm house to themselves.

16. snowleopard

@NZ Jeremy: the 10 acre rotation exhibit "Asian Tropics" is going to cost about $40 million. Perhaps $42 million with a few added costs.

@Pat: I preferred Melbourne Zoo's elephant exhibit to Taronga's enclosures, and the difference with the Denver Zoo is that the elephant, tapir and rhino crossings look like they are raised off the ground while I think that Melbourne's are flat.

17. PAT

That would be an amazing experience having the elephants walk over the top of you. And i'm glad that the malayan tapirs will have exhibits fit for elephants and rhinos.

Also on the denver zoo website it says that mandrills live in groups of 700 to 800

18. Ungulate

Ungulate Well-Known Member

FYI, mandrill groups of 700+ individuals HAVE been reported (and filmed) in Lope National Park, Gabon (very impressive to see).
    Mandrill Conservation

19. snowleopard

It's crazy how many mandrills can be found in one group, but I believe that the Denver Zoo has only a handful. On a side note, the Singapore Zoo has over 70 hamadryas baboons in their "Rift Valley" exhibit.

20. PAT

That's amazing