Join our zoo community

Denver Zoo Denver Zoo News

Discussion in 'United States' started by penguinman, 10 Mar 2006.

Tags:
  1. BlackRhino

BlackRhino Well-Known Member

Can someone who has been to Denver Zoo tell me what the gorilla exhibit is like? I have heard it is one of the largest, and I was wondering if it is something more innovative like Seattle, San Diego, and of course Bronx or is it more of the field type?

2. reduakari

reduakari Well-Known Member 15+ year member

A big field surrounded by an ugly concrete wall. There are a few large cottonwood trees (hotwired) so there is some shade. But the best aspect is size--it is over an acre, but flat as a pancake and not very interesting. Not even close to Bronx, Seattle, Busch, Disney, San Diego, Lincoln Park or Riverbanks....

3. snowleopard

snowleopard Well-Known Member 15+ year member Premium Member

Denver Zoo packed in near-record visitors last year - The Denver Post

Another week goes by and yet more zoos have been announcing record breaking attendance figures. Amazingly the Denver Zoo pulled in over 1.9 million visitors in 2008, and when the Asian Tropics set of 10-acre habitats opens in a couple of years I'm sure that more than 2 million people will visit and boost the attendance even higher at this massively popular attraction.

4. snowleopard

Last edited: 17 Apr 2009
  5. reduakari

reduakari Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Since they have not even broken ground (or raised all the $$ needed to complete the project), I would be surprised if the complex opens anytime before spring 2013, and most likely it will be later. Constructing a project of this scale takes a minimum of two years, even in places with benign climates like San Diego.

And as to the acreage, once again it's really much more about quality than quantity. And it will never be enough for the critics--look at the reader's comments in the articles about San Diego's new elephant exhibit, who are up in arms at how "small" it will be.

6. Kifaru Bwana

Kifaru Bwana Well-Known Member 15+ year member

What is the story on Denver Zoo's black rhinos. For years now, they have maintained the current 2.1 individuals for yonkers times ... but no births, no deaths ...., some early abortions on the new female .... but other than that uurrhh pretty much no nothing!

I just seem to remember that they hold bull Mishindi (the last of the Denver line ... and pretty genetically important), cow Shy-Anne (also from a line with little rep, but with some breeding issues) and bull Akeem/George (he is considered less OK for breeding).

So, whom is ... the third bull-mystery guest .... (as listed on ISIS)?!!!

Does anyone have a clue as to what the current and future plans are for the black rhinos at Denver Zoo?

7. Ungulate

Ungulate Well-Known Member

Kifaru,
    Your ID's for Denver's rhinos are correct (2.1 Mshindi, Akeen, and Shy-Anne). The other 1.0.1 on ISIS are data artifacts. Sorry - no idea of their future plans!

8. kiang

kiang Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Last edited by a moderator: 6 Jul 2017
  9. snowleopard

The Denver Zoo has an incredible primate collection, and I believe that there are about 30 different species in total. Nice video Kiang!

10. okapikpr

okapikpr Well-Known Member

They just received these Aye-Ayes last fall. That was sure quick!

11. jwer

jwer Well-Known Member 15+ year member

At least one continent is doing reasonably well with this species...

12. Zooplantman

Zooplantman Well-Known Member

Last week the Denver City Council introduced a bill to approve use of up to $26million of city bond money to complete Asia Tropics.

"The
    amendment will allow the construction of the new Asian Tropics exhibit project to move
    forward and to give the Foundation additional time to complete its fundraising activities
    to raise its portion of the matching requirement (total portion is $55 million) by 2013."

Last edited: 23 May 2009
  13. snowleopard

This project has been dragging on for what seems like years now, as "Predator Ridge" opened in 2005 and I'm not sure that anything else has been added to the zoo in the 4 years since then. "Asian Tropics" was originally supposed to open in 2009, but the zoo has not even broken ground on construction yet.

14. okapikpr

okapikpr Well-Known Member

15. loxodonta

loxodonta Well-Known Member

16. kiang

kiang Well-Known Member 15+ year member

17. BlackRhino

BlackRhino Well-Known Member

http://www.denverzoo.org/downloads/301-ATF_GC_RFQ.pdf

Has anyone on here seen this yet? I find it very interesting as it has a very close-up site plan for Asian Tropics if you scroll really far down. It also has all the enclosure sizes. Surely this exhibit will be an incredible and I must agree with reduakri that it is much more about quality than quanity. I don't think it matters if it's a 8 acre exhibit or a 1 acre elephant exhibit for the activisit. Nothing the zoos build will ever fit within their standards of what an elephant enclosure should consist of. All they really care about is a massive amount of acreage, but in all honesty there must be a lot more than just a large space for a top quality elephant exhibit.

18. mstickmanp

mstickmanp Well-Known Member

Thanks for posting this!

19. Buckeye092

Buckeye092 Well-Known Member

This is exhibit looks nothing short of amazing and will surely displace Asia Trail at National as #1 Asian Exhibit in North America.

20. Ituri

Ituri Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Bravo! Great find BlackRhino!