Join our zoo community

Desert Zoos

Discussion in 'General Zoo Discussion' started by Arizona Docent, 6 Mar 2017.

1. Arizona Docent

Arizona Docent Well-Known Member 15+ year member

I live in the great Sonoran Desert, the lushest and most beautiful of America's desert regions (yes I am biased :p). My city is home to what many consider to be the nation's best desert themed zoo (Arizona Sonora Desert Museum). So, where are the world's desert themed zoos, and what is unique about each? Please do not list general zoos that have a desert section, but only those that are one hundred percent devoted to deserts. I will start with those I know of from USA, but I would welcome additions from around the world; I know there are at least a couple in Australia, but are they anywhere else?

2. Arizona Docent

USA

Arizona Sonora Desert Museum (Tucson, Arizona)
    what stands out - world class animal exhibits, plus gardens and art gallery

High Desert Museum (Bend, Oregon)
    what stands out - pioneer people displays (both living and static) as well as animal exhibits

California Living Museum (Bakersfield, California)
    what stands out - focus on California wildlife in a zoo-rich state with surprisingly few California themed exhibits

Living Desert Zoo and Gardens (Carlsbad, New Mexico)
    what stands out - focus on Chihuahuan wildlife on a bluff with beautiful vistas

The Living Desert (Palm Desert, California)
    what stands out - only USA zoo to focus on world's deserts (instead of only the desert it is located in)

snowleopard likes this.
  3. CGSwans

CGSwans Well-Known Member 15+ year member

I think Alice Springs is the only explicitly desert-themed zoo in Australia. Territory Wildlife Park is based in and on the Wet Tropics.

I think there are a couple of places in the Gulf States that are focused on native species and therefore, by default, also on desert species. But I'm drawing a blank on names.

4. TeaLovingDave

TeaLovingDave Moderator Staff Member 10+ year member

Most notably Arabia`s Wildlife Centre, Sharjah.

devilfish, Mehdi and CGSwans like this.
  5. CGSwans

A most timely intervention!

6. Zooplantman

Zooplantman Well-Known Member

Al Ain Zoo, U.A.E.

7. CGSwans

Not so much a 'desert zoo' as a 'Zoo in a desert'. Gorillas, chimps and tigers aren't quite fitting into a desert theme.

8. MJB

MJB Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Nikola Chavkosk likes this.
  9. Zooplantman

Zooplantman Well-Known Member

My mistake. I was thinking of the safari park

10. Arizona Docent

11. snowleopard

snowleopard Well-Known Member 15+ year member Premium Member

I have visited all 5 of these zoos and in each of them I have really enjoyed seeing a specific focus on a particular ecosystem spread out over an entire facility. California Living Museum (CALM) is clearly the weakest of the bunch, although I enjoyed their Cats of California complex when I visited in 2011. High Desert Museum has the least amount of animals on site but is still an excellent facility and there was a recent upgrade of the river otter exhibit. Living Desert Zoo & Gardens is an underrated institution with a new Reptile House. The Living Desert Zoo is a superb establishment and if they ever get around to finally constructing their African Lion exhibit then that would be an achievement in itself. Finally, Arizona-Sonora Desert Museum is the best of the lot and renowned for its many fantastic exhibits.

Back in 2007 I visited the Alice Springs Desert Park in central Australia and the Nocturnal House there is certainly world-class. I've always wanted to visit the Chiricahua Desert Museum in New Mexico as their website lists 32 snake species (almost all rattlesnakes), 7 lizard species and 7 turtle species. It is one desert zoo that has flown under the radar as I don't know anyone that has ever visited the place.

Arizona Docent likes this.
  12. Arizona Docent

I do know a couple people who have visited Chiricahua Desert Museum on the New Mexico - Arizona border. Calling it a "zoo" is stretching the definition of the word. As I understand it (based largely on internet photos) it is a single building that is a gift shop with a wall of glass cases with snakes. There is a small (tiny, miniscule) garden out back with a few plants and perhaps some tortoise yards.

I believe they added a second building that is empty for special events (a very basic, currogated metal building). It is not something I am going to make the long drive just to see, though one day if I am headed that way (say on my way to Albuquerque) I may pop in. Now if they were to add an ocelot exhibit, that might be a different story. ;)

snowleopard likes this.
  13. animalszoos

animalszoos Well-Known Member

ASDM however does keep some species such as ocelots which occur less in deserts and more tropical, savannah and scrubby habitats. I guess ASDM is suitable for keeping ocelots as the Sonoran desert is quite scrubby so they could be considered desert animals.

By the way, would Las Vegas be better off with a desert zoo/museum or a zoo with a more global species collection?

14. Arizona Docent

ASDM interprets the Sonoran Desert region, including all the various habitats in that region (grasslands, pine forest mountains, etc). So it is not strictly desert plants and animals but those found in any habitat contained within the greater Sonoran Desert. For those who do not know, ocelots have been confirmed in Arizona only within the last decade.

As for Las Vegas, they apparently have a new (several years now) museum that interprets desert biology as well as human history, but with extremely limited animal holdings: Springs Preserve - Official Web Site. I assume most on this site would agree with me that an expanded animal area would be a great improvement, especially considering there are no real zoos in Las Vegas.

SealPup likes this.
  15. elefante

elefante Well-Known Member 10+ year member

I think Vegas would do best with a desert focus. It seems like it could be an interesting sort of niche.

SealPup and Arizona Docent like this.
  16. animalszoos

animalszoos Well-Known Member

However, I think tourists (which Vegas gets a lot of) would rather see more animals such as pandas, tigers, giraffes, koalas and lions.

17. elefante

You could probably fudge the definition of desert and include lions and giraffes and maybe even keep koalas. Pandas wouldn't fit but those are rare in zoos anyway.

18. Arizona Docent

IMO the purpose of a zoo in Las Vegas would not be to attract tourists because it won't. Tourists only visit the strip area with the sole purpose of gambling and seeing shows. A zoo, which would be located outside the strip, would be mainly for residents.

19. elefante

Do you think a zoo could be supported in Vegas just with residents being the primary customers?

20. Arizona Docent

Yes I do (it's a big city). However I still think the best solution is for the existing Springs Preserve to add more native animal exhibits.