Join our zoo community

Design a Zoo

Discussion in 'Speculative Zoo Design and Planning' started by Javan Rhino, 24 Jun 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Javan Rhino

Javan Rhino Well-Known Member 10+ year member

I don't know if this is in the right place, but I can't think of anywhere else to put it so this seemed my best option. Anyway, title says it all. Design your own zoo, note down which species you would have, how they will be exhibited etc. Say where your zoological park would be in the world, and why it would be special. I'll start with my example.

Fauna Gardens Wildife Park would be a unique experiance built up somewhere in the United Kingdom. The park would be unique for housing many species not currently seen within the United Kingdom, such as Cetaceans and Giant Pandas, as well as less well known ungulates such as Gerenuks and Thomson's Gazelle.

The park itself would be split into four ‘Biome Parks,’ each representing two or three of the world’s major habitats. These shall be ‘Rainforests and Swamps,’ ‘Woodlands and Mountains,’ ‘Grasslands and Deserts,’ and ‘Oceans and Tundra.’

Dividing the park in this manner will hopefully bring in a huge number of benefits, including educating visitors to the various animal habitats, and also allowing the visitor to ‘customize’ their day. For example, it would cost £5.00 to gain admission to one zone, whilst it would cost £16.00 for a ‘Multi-Park Ticket,’ allowing the visitor to go between parks. (Prices based on a full-paying adult in high season).

Anyway, lets start with the animal parts :)

GRASSLANDS AND DESERTS

Africa in Danger
    holds several species of African animals that are either endangered or critically endangered. The main paddock is a massive 15 acres for a herd of Grevy’s Zebra (equus grevyi), a herd of pure-bred West-African Giraffes (giraffa camelopardalis peralta) and a pair of Eastern Black Rhinoceros (Diceros Bicornis Michaeli). There are also two smaller paddocks for the Black Rhinoceros, one of which is off-show. The giraffe and zebra also have three small isolation paddocks each.
    The indoor building acts as a part of the Black Rhinoceros indoor accomodation. There is also an enclosure for Radiated Tortoises (astrochelys radiata) which has both indoor and outdoor accomodation. A wooden boardwalk takes the visitor up to a second level and out onto a large wooden balcony directly above the main paddock. This would have informative displays and boards, as well as binoculars, telescopes and donation boxes.
    The zebra and giraffe have seperate indoor enclosures which are off-show at the other end of the main paddock.
    Enrichment would include a number of salt licks and scratching posts, a large mud wallow, pursuit balls, browse feeders at varying heights and other varied ways of feeding to keep the animals active. The paddock would be landscaped so that it isn’t completely flat, allowing the animals to stand at different points of elevation. It would be naturally planted with large rocks, African daisies, African grasses and Acacia trees. The paddock would include two areas of hard-standing, one of which would be outside the main building and one of which would be outside of the giraffe and zebra indoor accomodation.
    An enclosure for African Hunting Dogs (lycaon pictus) would also be incorporated into this area, and would use wood and glass as fencing where possible. Within the enclosure would be elevated platforms for rest, logs and rocks for climbing/hiding, long grasses and dug-out dens for hiding and a number of enrichment toys, such as pursuit balls, feeder balls and stuffed prey dummies. Meat would be placed in these dummies at feeding times.

Mara is a large paddock similar to Africa in Danger’s main paddock; however it showcases species that are not quite as threatened as those seen in the aforementioned area. The main point for visitors is a large elevated platform that lies cleverly on the border between the grassland and the hippo’s lake, making the whole area seem like one huge exhibit.
    The grassland side of the exhibit houses several species, such as Southern White Rhinoceros (ceratotherium simum simum), Gemsbok (oryx gazella), Ostrich (struthio camelus), Blue Wildebeest (connochaetes taurinus), Gerenuk (litocranius walleri), Impala (aepyceros melampus) and Thomson’s Gazelle (eudorcas thomsonii). Indoor accomodation for these species is in the form of large, off-show stables at the far end of the paddock. Six smaller paddocks are also connected to the main paddock, allowing for isolation and introductions where necessary.
    Enrichment, landscaping and planting is similar to Africa in Danger’s paddock.
    The hippo’s lake side features a small herd of Common Hippopotamus (hippopotamus amphibius), as well as Cape Buffalo (syncerus caffer). Indoor accomodation is again off-show stables. This exhibit is planted with reeds and papyrus, whilst the species have a large pool, a mud wallow, scatter feeds and scratching posts as enrichment. Underwater webcams are also in place within the pool to allow the visitors to observe them, even when the animals are beneath the surface of the pool.

The African Aviaries showcase a number of African birds, including African White-Backed Vultures (gyps africanus), Secretary Birds (sagittarius serpentarius), Marabou Storks (leptoptilos crumeniferus), Greater Flamingos (phoenicopterus roseus), Hammerkops (scopus umbretta), Amethyst Starlings (cinnyricinclus leucogaster) and Lilac-Breasted Rollers (coracias caudatus).
    There is an enclosure for Cheetah (acinonyx jubatus soemmeringii), which is naturally landscaped and planted with long grasses and logs. This enclosure is split by chain-link fence so that the cheetahs can be seperated when necessary, and each half has a seperate indoor den which is off-show to the public. There shall also be elevated platforms for resting on, as well as pursuit balls and stuffed dummies for enrichment.
    There is also a similar enclosure for Brown Hyenas (hyaena brunnea).
    The Baboon Rocks are three large, netted enclosures either side of the baboon house. Large poles and platforms create interesting climbing frames for the baboons, whilst they are kept enriched by pursuit balls, feeder balls, ropes, tyre swings and scatter feeds. One enclosure is for Hamadryas Baboons (papio hamadryas), one is for Chacma Baboons (papio ursinus) and the other is for Guinea Baboons (papio papio).
    Warthogs (phacochoerus africanus) and Yellow Mongooses (cynictis penicillata) share a medium-sized paddock connected to the elephant house, with off-show accomodation at the back of the building.
    A small herd of African Bush Elephants (loxodonta africana) have two seperate paddocks, one on either side of the elephant house. The first is a large grassy paddock, whilst the second is a slightly smaller sandy paddock. The cows and calves are kept seperate from the bulls except in breeding season, and the two groups rotate daily between paddocks. Even in the grassy paddock, there are several piles of sand for sand baths. They also have enrichment logs and branches, as well as browse feeders and a pool in each paddock.

So, what does everybody think? Would you change anything? Is there anything impossible to achieve? I personally think the Black Rhinoceros sharing with Giraffes and Zebra may not work since they are more aggressive than White Rhinos, but I don't know and think it would look good.
    Also, more importantly, start designing your ideas for zoos/even just exhibits.

I'll do some more on the grasslands and desert part soon :)

2. redpanda

redpanda Well-Known Member

I guess my zoo would have a number of different exhibit trails, but I’ll just describe one to give you a flavour, Southeast Asian rainforest. I have no idea where it would be situated, but somewhere with a large patch of deciduous forest so I would not have to spend huge amounts of money planting a rainforest.

The first exhibit visitors come to will be a small aviary containing Salvadori’s Pheasant, Bali Starling and Java Sparrow. To maintain interest and novelty with these “boring” birds, there will be three different sites where the aviary can be situated with the lightweight structure being easily moved from one to another. All three aviary sites are lush and have a small pool for bathing but blend seamlessly into the surrounding environment when not enclosed.

Next, visitors encounter a large open-topped enclosure for a pair of Temminck’s Golden Cat. This is densely planted and slopes upwards to a rocky outcrop with a stream tumbling down through the exhibit. The first viewing area is through Invisi-net adjacent to a rustic bridge which traverses the stream. That stream then flows into an outdoor enclosure for Philippine Crocodiles which is the next exhibit visitors view, when it is too cold for them outside Wandering Whistling Duck are given access to the exhibit. The enclosure consists of a large, heated pool surrounded by beaches for basking with artificial mud-banks containing the crocodiles. Visitors then enter a cave where they get a second view into the Temminck’s Golden Cat exhibit through a number of glass peep-holes. An interesting feature of this viewing area is that to see into the Golden Cat exhibit, visitors look through a glass-backed enclosure for Belanger’s tree shrews. There are interpretive graphics within the cave explaining how the cats hunt small mammals such as the shrews. At this viewing area are also a few small vivaria set into the rockwork for various insect species such as the Hercules Beetle.

Next visitors come to a netted, ‘L’-shaped enclosure which is viewed through glass at the right-angle. This is part of a rotation complex and contains a combination of any of the following nine species: Asian Small-clawed Otter, Babirusa, Brahminy Kite, Fishing Cat, Great Argus, Great Indian Hornbill, Javan Langur, Owston’s Palm Civet and Reeve’s Muntjac.Whichever species are not in this exhibit will be in one of three others. The first viewing area into a large, forested enclosure for Javan Banteng, Philippine Spotted Deer, Sarus Crane and Red Junglefowl comes next; here visitors view the animals across a dry-moat invisible amongst the dense undergrowth. Following this is a view into the second netted enclosure within the rotation system, this exhibit is long and rectangular and visitors view it through Invisi-net.

After that, visitors go inside through a transition similar to the Congo Gorilla Forest’s fern canyon. This is a display on Southeast Asian reptiles and features a number of vivaria, large and small for species such as Reticulated Python, Salvador’s Monitor, Philippine Sailfin Lizard, Blood Python and Wagler’s Pit Viper. There is also glass-viewing into the indoor Philippine Crocodile exhibit with water coming up to around waist-height on the glass. The enclosure depicts a mangrove forest with a beach on the right-hand side of the pool and a forested area on the left. This enclosure is shared with various turtles and the pool is stocked with fish. There is also a glass viewing area into the first Komodo Dragon day-room. This is large and lush and has a heated rock to provide the dragons with warmth and elevation. Like at Chester’s Islands in Danger, there are free-flying Java Sparrows in with the Komodo Dragons. To exit the building, visitors enter a glass-sided tunnel through the second dragon day-room, this is much the same as the first but is larger and includes a waterfall. The tunnel then goes into a rocky outcrop in which there is a room with information about Komodo Dragons. The tunnel then continues but is now going through the outside habitat. Eventually visitors emerge and are greeted by a view of the whole outdoor exhibit as well as the Banteng enclosure beyond, the two being separated by an invisible dry moat.

Next, visitors come to a viewing area into an exhibit for Sun Bear and Binturong. This is situated on a hillside and, despite being reasonably open, has several large trees for the inhabitants to climb. Viewing is first from a traditional hut situated at the side of the exhibit, but after descending the hillside another view point is reached, this time looking up at the bears across an invisible dry moat. A short way down the trail from this is a covered glass viewing area into both the second and third netted exhibits of the rotation system. Leaving here, visitors face a slope adjacent to the main Sun Bear enclosure. This is rotated between the bears/binturongs and a pack of dhole and acts as a second enclosure for when the male and female Sun Bear need to be separated, for example when there are cubs. Viewing is across a reed-lined (this makes it appear smaller) water moat fed by a stream which trickles through the enclosure.

The next exhibit is a walk-through containing Visayan Warty Pig and Sulawesi Crested Macaque, there is also an anoa enclosure viewed from the path which is separated from the main walk-through by an invisible moat that only the monkeys can cross. The main enclosure is around an acre in size and heavily forested providing the macaques with numerous natural climbing opportunities. After exiting this area, visitors enter a glass viewing area looking into the large and forested dhole exhibit which is home to a large pack increasing the chance of activity and visibility. Next, visitors pass a large flock of Green Peafowl. Although these are free-roaming throughout the exhibit, there are several hidden feeders in this area so the birds do not stray too far. After that is a view into the dhole exhibit across an invisible dry moat. The path follows the line of the moat giving the visitors good views of the habitat, but around halfway along it is bisected by another invisible moat. To the other side of this is the pig/macaque exhibit making the two appear joined, to further heighten this illusion the macaques can even enter some of the trees in the dhole exhibit – these are wrapped in hot-vines from around five metres down so the macaques cannot descend and the dogs cannot ascend.

The final outdoor exhibit is viewed from a high boardwalk and is home to a family of Siamangs. The area is large and dense with several mature trees joined by vines allowing the gibbons to brachiate effectively. As viewing is from a boardwalk, visitors can see this incredible behaviour from close-quarters. After viewing the Siamangs, visitors go inside once again to a large room packed with information about the rainforest of Southeast Asia in addition to the threats facing it and the conservation work being carried out to limit these, there is also a box in which visitors can donate money to a species of their choice. Along one whole wall of this room is the fourth and final exhibit in the rotation system and also the only indoor one. It depicts a lush, narrow valley with a stream running through it and incorporates underwater viewing. There are also a few other small exhibits around the room, for example a circular exhibit for Prevost's Squirrel surrounding a large tree.

So there we go. Sorry about the length of this post, but I always do find it hard to keep my zoo ideas below a page!

3. Javan Rhino

Don't worry about the size of posts in this thread, this is exactly what I'm looking for. I like your ideas a lot, though when I read South East Asia I automatically thought of Orangs ;p, bit of a shock when I saw no mention.
    I was going to have a South-East Asia thing going on on four large islands in the middle of a lake, with one being Java, one being Malaysia, one being Sumatra and one being Borneo. There were a few complications to this though, so I'm thinking of changing it.

4. redpanda

There are three reasons for no orangs, a) I generally like to keep my zoos within some sort of a budget and this had already gone way over, b) they are one of the hardest species to design a naturalistic enclosure for and I couldn't think of an effective exhibit without ripping off Singapore and c) I find it's often more fun to design exhibits for species which are generally overlooked in zoos as these are the ones which really need to a good exhibit to draw visitors' attention.

5. Javan Rhino

Good points (and I know its your personal choice to keep to a budget, but there is no need. I think of it as long term how I would want it to look, so everything would just come into place over time). However, you must retain some of these popular species (apes/cats/bears/elephants etc) to draw visitors to your zoo anyway. This seems like a very nice zoo so far, and I would definately visit, but maybe there wouldn't be enough 'abc' for a casual day out for a family.

Quick questions, can Black Rhinos work in a mixed exhibit? I've only ever seen these things done with White Rhinos, which are far more docile by nature.
    Also, would hippos/cape buffalo work?

6. redpanda

As this is only one part of the zoo, there would be ABC animals elsewhere (indeed I included species like dhole, gibbon and sun bear for that reason) so I don't think that's too much of a problem. This exhibit could also be part of a loop so I would probably have a great ape species in the African rainforest exhibit.

It probably depends on the rhinos. Port Lympne keep a pair of male Blacks on their African Experience without apparent problems, but if there was a female involved then I doubt this would work. The zoo also has a female rhino mixed with a troop of baboon which is another possibility for a mixed exhibit.

pendraig_milnerae likes this.
  7. Javan Rhino

Interesting, maybe I would hold bachelors or retired animals in that case, however there are the two smaller paddocks, so maybe I could keep one or two of the females in the main paddock, whilst keeping a breeding bull in the on-show smaller paddock? The females could then be brought into the bull paddock at specific times for mating.

Also, I think a great ape in the Africa part would be great and I look foward to reading more of your ideas :)

8. Paix

Paix Well-Known Member

I will post mine soon, still thinking of the finishing touches.

9. siamang27

siamang27 Well-Known Member

I don't think keeping hippo and buffalo together would work very well. You might want to add on another enclosure or mix something else with the hippos instead.

Canihelpyou? likes this.
  10. Javan Rhino

Gotcha (I don't know too much about mixing, I'm going on ZT2 mixed exhibits as a basis where they can live perfectly happy together, along with Greater Flamingos. I know that it isn't the best credibility, but it is supposed to be educational).
    The Buffalo were just an effort to create a mixed exhibit, I would be equally happy to either place the buffalo in one of the smaller paddocks or take them out of the collection.

I look forward to hearing your ideas Paix, and I hope to get another section done tonight :).

11. siamang27

I'll probably post some ideas too, though the only thing I had really done before was decided what species I wanted and where they would be in the zoo, so I'll have to add some more details to it.
    I do know there are some zoos that keep hippos together with birds, like Greater Flamingo, Sacred Ibis, Egyptian Goose etc.

12. Paix

Paix Well-Known Member

Here is my Dream Zoo! This is my first time doing this properly so bare with me! Here we go...

The zoo is based in mid Scotland, although not too North.

The Entrance Zone!

So, you first enter through the stylish, sustainable log and glass cabin entrance. The area around the entrance building is densly planted to give a tropical feel. Although there are no animal exhibits in this area, it is a planted area, with many a lawn in view. This is a relax and play area. I know that sounds quite strange (Densly planted along with lawns) but only the area around the building will be densly planted.

Excellence of Europe Exhibit!

The first exhibit will be a little closer to home you see, I thought it would be nicer to educate people on what is under their noses rather than whats in Australia or South America, not that these continents will not be included in the zoo.

The first section of this large exhibit will be named "In our backyard" and will exhibit Scottish species. This will include Scottish Wildcat, Brown Hares, Pine Martins, Capercaillie, Red Deer and Golden Eagle. Alot of people may not understand what exactly is right infront of them, even if they are quite elusive and education will be a major aspect in this exhibit. Although I will not deny our reptile and amphibian life. I will also include Adders, Newts and even Sand Lizards (I will note that they are not native to Scotland).

Then the larger section of the exhibit will include, in my opinion, the more exciting species! There will not be a country layout yet some species will be exhibit together, for example, the Iberian Lynx and Peragrine Falcon will be exhibited side by side. Then the Musk Ox, European Bision and Chamois will be together, and will be viewed from Board Walks! These are the only major groupings yet dotted around the "Excellence of Europe" exhibit there will also be Artic Fox, Alpine Marmot and a mixed European Aviary, very much like Chesters! The European Bison will be exhibited within a pine forest, the pine forest will be part of the Zoo's purchased land!

So thats 16 species in the Europe area! All of these will be in top class exhibits and will not have a fault, as thats the way I role...

"Mystery in Africa" Exhibit!

This in my opinion, will be an extremely interesting exhibit and is based on the more unusual species of Africa! As you first enter you will be met by the elusive and amazing Pangolin! This will be a major exhibit in the zoo and will be a major atraction point! Other animals included in the small exhibit area will include Bat Eared Fox and Aardwolf! Following on through the area you will come out on a clearing, looking out onto the plains. There you will travel up onto the board walk and view the amazing Hoofstock species including Giraffes, Gerenuk, Kudu, Gemsbok and Roan Antelope!

At the end of the exhibit you will view the Kirks Dik-Dik and an Aquarium based on African fresh water fish!

I will add more later!

13. Javan Rhino

Brilliant :). I like the idea of the Excellence of Europe exhibit, I visited Highlands Wildlife Park earlier this year and it made a nice change to see some lesser exhibited species. The same goes for the Mysteries of Africa exhibit. Very well done, I a just about to start work on 'Lands of the Phaoroh (sp)' for the grasslands and deserts area :)

14. Paix

Paix Well-Known Member

I look forward too it, and thankyou! I will start work on my Asian/South American/Islands exhibits later!

15. redpanda

As it’s the holidays, I’ve had some spare time so decided to waste it and do another section. This exhibit is a journey through the Britain of ten thousand years ago and includes three main sections: wetland, deciduous woodland and boreal forest. For my and your sanity, I shall post it in parts beginning with wetlands:

The journey begins by entering a small movie theatre in which a short film is played that sets the scene and explains the time period, shortly after the last ice-age. CGF-style, the screen then rises up to reveal dense woodland with a brook trickling through it and numerous birds flitting amongst the branches, pre-recorded bird song is played to make the scene appear more idyllic. Visitors are then ushered through a side-door where they emerge into the large, walk-through aviary which was just viewed from the movie theatre. Species in this exhibit include numerous native birds, small mammals such as Red Squirrels and a pair of hand-reared, and therefore tame, Roe Deer. The path through the aviary is twisting making it seem larger than it really is and includes a small hide which looks onto a pool fed by a small waterfall. The pool then becomes a stream which trickles through the aviary with visitors crossing it on stepping-stones at one point. As the aviary is large and quite dense, hidden feeders in the form of artificial rocks, logs and tree-stumps are used to entice the inhabitants nearer the path.

After having left the aviary, an open-sided wooden shelter is approached. This contains information about Eurasian Otters with their exhibit surrounding the shelter and contained by Invisi-net. The enclosure is very large and consists of a forested valley with a stream, which forms a series of small pools, flowing through it (this appears to be the same stream as flowed through the aviary but, to limit the spread of infections, is not). Following the shelter is a bridge across the valley which gives good views of the animals a short distance below. The next otter viewing point is also raised above the surroundings but around a twist in the valley so the bridge cannot be seen, it is actually the roof of the otters’ night quarters. There are two otter enclosures within the valley (and frequent rotation between the two families) with this viewing point being the only one to look into both simultaneously. A short way down the trail is a low glass partition between the path and second otter enclosure allowing views for people of all ages. After curving round a corner, the path is adjacent to the pool and begins to slope downwards so that the glass partition descends into the pool providing underwater viewing. Once the path descends to around five feet below the surface, visitors enter a building in which two walls consist of large glass panels giving incredible views of the swimming otters. To exit this room, a short underwater tunnel is entered so that the otters, and fish with which their pool is stocked, can swim all around the visitors.

Leaving the tunnel, a large room with several exhibits showcasing the animals of British waters is entered. Here, there are several tanks set into the wall containing a variety of fish and other freshwater natives whilst, in the centre of the room, there is an open-topped exhibit for European Pond Terrapin. All of the tanks are beautifully detailed and have clear, interactive signage in an attempt to encourage visitors to engage with, and learn about, these animals. The next room entered is a raised overlook with glass viewing out onto a four acre wetland aviary which includes several pools and reed beds. As well as numerous other wetland-dwelling birds, a large flock of Dalmatian Pelican reside in this aviary which is so tall (16 metres) that they do not need to be pinioned. From the overlook, visitors enter the aviary on a floating boardwalk from which the birds can be viewed at close-quarters. Part of the way along this is a building called 'His Beak Can Hold More Than His Belly Can' which features tiered seating and a raised pool with underwater viewing where pelican feeding demonstrations take place. The wetland aviary is finally exited through a limestone cave with artificial ivy hanging over the entrance in order to stop any birds escaping. A short way into this, there is a large opening behind a waterfall which looks into the osprey aviary, the wall of water ensures the birds will not enter the cave along with visitors. Further along, there are several smaller openings into the aviary, although these are covered with glass; it is large and situated on a slope with a stream cascading through several small pools, rocks and conifers are included for perching and the exhibit is attached to the wetland aviary giving the osprey pair great views of other birds.

NOTE: After deciding to do this exhibit, Paix posted something similar so I have tried to give mine a different theme and generally avoided using the same species he has.

16. Javan Rhino

Loving all your ideas so far. @RedPanda, your Europe idea sounds so idyllic. I love the sound of the otter enclosure :). Also, @Paix: can't wait to hear more of your ideas :). Anyway, here is 'Lands of the Pharaohs.'

Lands of the Pharaohs

The Lands of the Pharaohs are located north of the African Grasslands area of the park and take the visitor along the Nile (which runs from the African Grasslands, blending the two areas nicely), towards a large pyramid and through Ancient Egypt. In a unique twist to education in zoos, guests will not only learn about the animals on show, but also about the history and culture of Ancient Egypt.

As soon as you cross the threshold of a sandstone arch (with the words ‘Lands of the Pharaohs’ written in Egyptian hieroglyphics), the visitor will see the first major exhibit.

A large aviary houses Nile Crocodiles (Crocodylus niloticus) and Egyptian Plovers (Pluvianus aegyptius). The river cuts through this aviary, with muddy slopes running up to both banks. One bank is planted with lush, green grass whilst the other is compiled with mud and sand. The river is heated, and heat-lamps are either hidden or disguised to make the exhibit seem as natural as possible. There is also spacious indoor accomodation for the crocodiles in an adjoining house, which is on-show to the public at most times. This accomodation is spacious enough to hold all crocodiles when the weather is too cold for them in the outdoor enclosure. There is a heated pool in here and a sand substrate, with stones and desert grasses scattered around. Information boards inside the house educate visitors on the role of crocodiles in Egyptian mythology.

Opposite this aviary on the other side of the path is a second aviary, this time for African Sacred Ibis (Threskiornis aethiopicus), Northern Bald Ibis (Geronticus eremita), Egyptian Goose (Alopochen aegyptiacus) and Cape Teal (Anas capensis). This enclosure incorporates a decent sized lake and has a sandy substrate with patches of desert grasses. There are also desert trees for nesting, as well as an artifical sandstone wall. A bird hide is incorporated at one end, in which there are ‘peep-holes,’ binoculars and informative displays about the birds on show. There is also a life-size statue of the Egyptian god Thoth, as well as boards depicting legends about him.

Four large paddocks surround a large pyramid (which is the main ‘Egyptian House’) though they appear to be one large paddock (these are often open to allow the species to move freely between them). These paddocks house African Wild Ass (Equus africanus), Barbary Sheep (Ammotragus lervia), Dorcas Gazelle (Gazella dorcas), Addax (Addax nasomaculatus), Scimitar-Horned Oryx (Oryx dammah) and Dromedary Camel (Camelus dromedarius).
    There are also two off-show paddocks for these species for isolation/quarentine purposes, as well as two areas of hard-standing and indoor accomodation in stables. Three of the on-show paddocks are grassy, whilst one is sandy with heavy planting of desert grasses. The off-show paddocks are both grassy. A wooden platform takes the visitor over the top of the paddocks and to the entrance of the pyramid.

The entrance itself is not actually on the pyramid, though steps go down to an underground tunnel infront of it, which comes back up inside the pyramid. This corridor is dark, and small vivariums house scorpions, scarab beetles, dung beetles and centipedes. There are a few information boards which are back lit, talking about insects in Egyptian culture. A second set of steps leads up into the pyramid itself.

This pyramid has two floors, with a wooden ramp leading up to the second one. The first floor is home to several enclosures for small mammals, such as Four-Toed Jerboa (Allactaga tetradactyla), Cairo Spiny Mouse (Acomys cahirinus) and Desert Hedgehog (Paraechinus aethiopicus). This also acts as indoor accomodation for Crested Porcupine (Hystrix cristata), Sand Cat (Felis margarita) and Fennec Fox (Vulpes zerda). There is also an enclosure for Egyptian Tortoise (Testudo kleinmanni) and vivariums for Horned Viper (Cerastes cornutus) and Egyptian Cobra (Naja haje). Nile Valley Sunbird (Anthreptes metallicus) and African Silverbill (Lonchura cantans) are freeflight on this floor and informative displays include models of Egyptian treasures, English-Egyptian Hieroglyphics, a timeline of Egyptian pharaohs and more about Egyptian culture, including mythology and burial practices.

The second floor of the pyramid is again dark and is home to Egyptian Fruit Bat (Rousettus aegyptiacus) and Egyptian Nightjar (Caprimulgus aegyptius). The path here takes the visitor around an ‘Egyptian sarcophagus.’

Another tunnel on the first floor acts as the exit to the pyramid and takes the visitor out to the east of the pyramid (the entrance is to the south). Behind the pyramid are the outdoor enclosures for the Fennec Fox, Sand Cats and Porcupines. These are sandy, with desert grasses and branches, as well as a number of enrichment objects including feeders and pursuit balls.

The path then takes the visitor around the opposite side of the crocodile aviary, with four aviaries for Egyptian raptors. These include Lammergeier (Gypaetus barbatus), Egyptian Vulture (Neophron percnopterus), Lanner Falcon (Falco biarmicus) and Pharaoh Eagle-owl (Bubo ascalaphus).

So, what does everybody think? Some of these species may not mix well (I have doubts about the plovers and crocs, but they co-exist in the wild as the plovers clean the crocs teeth, therefore the crocs don't eat them). Some may not be represented anywhere in captivity, in which case they would be replaced by some other species or their exhibits would become surplus exhibits. Look forward to hearing your opinions, as well as your other ideas :)

17. siamang27

I like that one! I don't think any zoo has done an exhibit on Egypt before that includes animals.
    While the plovers and crocodiles do exist together in the wild I would think it would be safer for the birds if they were moved to the aviary with ibis and ducks instead...

18. Javan Rhino

A good point. My main concern would be that the plovers and crocs would not retain their natural instincts, and would then see each other as predator and prey. If keeping them together didn't work (part of the reason is to highlight animals working together), there could just be signs that explain this. Not sure which way to go now (loads of ideas, just don't know which to do). They include areas for Death Valley, American grasslands, South American Pampas fields (possibly), Australian Outback, Asian Steppes and others.

19. siamang27

Also you could probably add more free-flying birds in the Egyptian exhibit.

20. Javan Rhino

As in the main pyramid building? I don't know too much about birds, could you name any species that would work in there and I will add them into the plan (preferably freeflight and would mix well). Also, preferably native to Egypt rather than just migrate there occasionally :).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.