Join our zoo community

Design a Zoo

Discussion in 'Speculative Zoo Design and Planning' started by Javan Rhino, 24 Jun 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. savethelephant

savethelephant Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I like it but perhaps you could explain the exhibits?

2. zooboyabroad

zooboyabroad Well-Known Member

I really think lists shouldn't belong here, just because anybody could make them and they show zero creativity.

3. Macaw16

Macaw16 Well-Known Member 5+ year member

1Why not on Sundays?

2I'm presuming in several enclosures?

3They have quite different ranges, so why in the same exhibit?

4. Thaumatibis

Thaumatibis Well-Known Member

On design an exhibit, this particular user actually said he was sorry about his lists! Guess not.

~ Thaumatibis

5. BossMayhem250

BossMayhem250 Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Same here, the list has some nice animals and exhibits but explaining them would make the list a 100 times better, so please explain it.

6. zooboyabroad

zooboyabroad Well-Known Member

Actually the animals in each exhibit are completely random and nonsensical. Why would an exhibit called 'Big Cat Temple' have hyenas, mongooses, duikers, porcupines, snakes and just four felines?!

7. siamang27

siamang27 Well-Known Member

Many zoos have an exhibit complex named after a particular species or group of animals and still have various others included. Since all we have is a list, we have no idea if the species are really as random as we think, there could be a concept behind it but I doubt it.

8. jbnbsn99

jbnbsn99 Well-Known Member

Design
    noun
    a plan or drawing produced to show the look and function or workings of a building, garment, or other object before it is built or made.

9. Macaw16

Macaw16 Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Of course the are other definitions/meaning meanings, but they would be in the wrong context for this threads title.

10. BedildaSue

BedildaSue Well-Known Member

I wish I were in the financial position to hire jbnbsn99 as a full-time zoo designer. I think if he were to design a full zoo, no one would need to go to another one again :p

11. jbnbsn99

jbnbsn99 Well-Known Member

I'm currently available for hire.

12. elefante

elefante Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Sorry it's taken me so long to add to my zoo. Here is the last portion of the drive-through section of the California Safari Park and Zoo. Hopefully I will get the walk-through portion of the zoo done before too long of a delay.

Middle East

The next section is the beginning of the Asia portion. The Middle East drive through section is the beginning. In a desert-themed area with palm trees and oases scattered throughout. As in other areas, interpretive signs are all around and plenty of places to stop. Roaming in this desert-themed area are Arabian oryx, Persian onager, Nubian ibex, and mouflon.

China and Mongolia
    The second section showcases animals from China and Mongolia. The first area is a simulated Gobi Desert environment. This is a smaller enclosure with a similar design as the others in regards to signage. Bactrian camels and Mongolian wild horses roam this area freely. In four different areas visible to the motorist are packs of dholes that have vantage points to see the enclosure. For their safety, the dholes are not able to approach the vehicles.
    In a transition area between the Gobi environment is a small drive though enclosure that is forested. In this forested area the motorist sees Sichuan takins and white-lipped deer. In adjacent enclosures but unable to approach the vehicle are tufted deer in a forested habitat and a simulated mountain housing Chinese gorals.

India
    The last section of the Asia portion of the drive-through is the India portion. This area is forested with open grassland to simulate the wilds of India. In this section blackbuck, gaur, sambar deer, barasingha, and axis deer roam freely and are able to approach the vehicle. In two separate areas are animals the visitor would not think of as native to India; lions and cheetahs. These animals are separated for obvious reasons and although these are of the African subspecies, they are stand-ins for Asiatic cheetahs and Asiatic lions. Across from the lions and cheetahs is a tiger enclosure. These are Malayan tigers serving as stand-ins for the Bengal tigers native to the region. The last two enclosures the visitor encounters are Indian rhinos on the right and a bachelor herd of Asian elephants on the left. For safety reasons, these animals are not able to approach the vehicle.

Australia
    The last section of the drive-through features animals from Australia. This area is a simulated Outback environment. In this area red kangaroos, gray kangaroos, emus, and common wallaroos can approach the vehicle. In a separate enclosure that is separated from the roadway is an expansive habitat for Parma and yellow-footed rock wallabies that are unable to approach the vehicle for safety reasons. This habitat contains numerous simulated billabongs that may or may not contain water, as these can be drained and refilled.

13. savethelephant

Very nice elefante:)

14. elefante

Have you seen the previous entries? They're a ways back but I can repost.

15. savethelephant

16. elefante

You saw them or you want me to repost?

17. savethelephant

18. Thaumatibis

Thaumatibis Well-Known Member

Nice! FYI, gaur are kind of aggressive, at least from what I've heard. I'd keep them separate.
    Nit-picking over! :D

~ Thaumatibis

19. elefante

I didn't realize. Separate might be good.

20. AnaheimZoo

AnaheimZoo Well-Known Member

(Referring to posts #'s 920, 922, 923, 925 and 926): it's about time some people have spoken out against the barrage of bland lists this thread is being bombarded with. I'll typically peek at this thread whenever I'm on the forum - and that's been very infrequently lately - and each time I do, I'm disappointed with the number of lists I see and the apparent positive feedback some of them are getting. I've wanted to say something, but haven't for fear of sounding unnecessarily insensitive.

I mean, I spent days on the actual design portions of few plans I posted on this thread, and I thought they were awful anyways. But the lists, guys, come on. There's no imagination put into them whatsoever.

(There's no point to this post, really - I'm just blowing off some steam. I hope I don't come off as harsh.)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.