Join our zoo community

Design a Zoo

Discussion in 'Speculative Zoo Design and Planning' started by Javan Rhino, 24 Jun 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. savethelephant

savethelephant Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I guess I wasn't exactly thinking straight:(:eek:
    I'll change it to more reasonable nmbers.

2. ShonenJake13

ShonenJake13 Well-Known Member 10+ year member

I have an idea for a bird breeding centre called the Endangered Bird Species Conservation Centre (EBSCC). It would be responsible for breeding various species, both endangered and common. Currently I have 11 exhibits in mind. (I am aware that a lot of these species are not bred/kept in captivity. My answer is simple; those birds that aren't in captivity will have come from rescue centres/on loan by the countries/confiscated animals). The majority of the exhibits have both on-show and off-show areas.

THE FAR SOUTH

This exhibit specifically focuses on New Zealand. The entrance would describe the old avifauna of this country, how most became extinct and the current threats. You would then reach the first exhibit, home to a small flock of weka. Continuing on into an indoor area through a dark passage (in which there is an exhibit home to a pair of northern brown kiwi), you eventually get to a lighter area where there are aviaries exhibiting a pair of New Zealand pigeons and a flock of kākā. There is then a walkthrough containing a flock of keas. After the walkthrough you exit the exhibit and find a large coastal area home to a breeding colony of both little blue and Fiordland penguins. There is a section where children can go and watch the penguins swim underwater. Backing onto the penguin pool is an offshow pool home to a breeding colony of white-flippered and yellow-eyed penguins.
    The offshow section in the day area inside would house a pair of tui and a pair of kōkako in separate aviaries, whereas the offshow part of the night section would house a few male and a couple of female kakapo in specially designed enclosures encouraging them to breed (the kakapo males remain in the same enclosures permanently, whilst the females would be allowed to rotate when looking for a male to breed with and live in special nest dens when breeding. Their breeding cycle would be artificially recreated with remu fruit being introduced into their diet the same time every year). Finally, the offshow exhibits opposite the weka enclosure would house two pairs of takahē, living separately.

PENGUIN COVE

This would essentially be a large penguin pool, home to a very large colony of eight different penguin species. Outdoor and indoor pools would be available to them, with specially built nesting areas. The species in the main area would be king, Adélie, chinstrap, gentoo, Humboldt, African, northern rockhopper and macaroni penguins. A smaller indoor and outdoor pool adjacent to the main exhibit would be home to a mixed colony of magellanic and western rockhopper penguins. Three off-show exhibits would house emperor and eastern rockhopper penguins in one, Galapagos and Snares penguins in the other, and erect-crested and royal penguins in the third.

THE ARCHIPELAGO

This would essentially be a series of small islands (reachable by drawbridge) in a series of medium-large lakes. The large lakes would house Dalmatian and great white pelicans together with greater flamingos, American white pelicans and Caribbean flamingos, Australian and spot-billed pelicans with James' flamingos, and pink-backed and Peruvian pelicans with Andean flamingos. The smaller ponds would house brown pelicans and Chilean flamingos, hamerkops and saddle-billed storks, hamerkops and shoebills, and hamerkops and lesser flamingos.

APEX CANYON

This would basically be a series of large aviaries home to birds-of-prey and the like. On-show aviaries would house a pair of martial eagles, a colony of lappet-faced vultures, a small group of southern ground hornbills and a rotating Andean condor aviary (a few males and a couple of females, which would rotate into the exhibit from offshow every now and then). The offshow exhibits would house the other Andean condors, as well as various Californian condors (in an effort to conserve the species) and a pair of Pel's fishing owls.

CRANES

A series of alley-like aviaries, home to various members of the crane family and a few other species. The aviaries on show would house the breeding group of Kori bustards (male normally kept separate from the females), the pairs of black-crowned, grey-crowned, common, sandhill, sarus, brolga, white-naped, red-crowned and blue cranes, as well as a medium sized colony of demoiselle cranes and a pair of Abyssinian ground hornbills. Off show would be three pairs of hamerkops, a trio of whooping cranes, two other brolga crane pairs, a small colony of Siberian cranes, a trio of hooded cranes, two pairs of black-necked cranes, the other pairs of white-naped and red-crowned cranes, and a small colony of wattled cranes.

PUFFIN ROCK

This would be a large aviary split into three sections, with the back wall being a cliff face and the majority of the ground of the aviary being a saltwater pool. Each aviary would house a different colony of puffins; Atlantic, tufted and horned.

TROPICAL HOUSE

Your classic tropical area, with dozens of exhibits. Mixed aviaries include one home to Mindanao bleeding-heart doves, greater hill mynahs and Mindanao rufous hornbills, another home to Luzon rufous and Luzon tarictic hornbills, and the last being home to knobbed and Sulawesi tarictic hornbills. Single aviaries would house red-vented cockatoos, blue-crowned hanging parrots, Australian king parrots, Abyssinian lovebirds, budgerigars, monk parakeets, Fischer's turacos, white-cheeked turacos, Buffon's turacos, violet turacos, red-crested turacos, white-crested turacos, Hartlaub's turacos, black-billed turacos, great blue turacos, yellow-billed turacos, Ugandan Ruwenzori turacos, Ross' turacos, white-bellied go-away birds, western grey plantain-eaters, Visayan tarictic hornbills, Samar tarictic hornbills, southern toco toucans, chestnut-mandibled toucans, channel-billed toucans, red-billed toucans, keel-billed toucans, plate-billed mountain toucans, green aracaris, ivory-billed aracaris, emerald toucanets, Guyana toucanets, spot-billed toucanets, Guianan cocks-of-the-rock, Inca jays, royal starlings, yellow-faced mynas, paradise whydahs and rose-bellied buntings.

Off-show would be home to hoatzins, another pair of New Zealand pigeons, eclectus parrots, Schalow's turacos, long-crested turacos, Donaldson's turacos, cinnamon white-cheeked turacos, another pair of violet turacos, purple-crested turacos, more red-crested turacos, Livingstone's turacos, green-crested turacos, Knysna turacos, more yellow-billed turacos, Verreaux' yellow-billed turacos, Bannerman's turacos, Prince Ruspoli's turacos, Congolese Ruwenzori turacos, grey go-away birds, bare-faced go-away birds, eastern grey plantain-eaters, another pair of knobbed hornbills, another pair of Sulawesi tarictic hornbills, Mindoro tarictic hornbills, Mindanao tarictic hornbills, northern toco toucans, more southern toco toucans, more chestnut-mandibled toucans, Ecuadorean black-mandibled toucans, black-mandibled toucans, yellow-ridged toucans, Ariel toucans, citron-throated toucans, Cuvier's toucans, more keel-billed toucans, Colombian keel-billed toucans, choco toucans, green-billed toucans, more green aracaris, collared aracaris, curl-crested aracaris, saffron toucanets and crimson-rumped toucanets.

BRAINY BIRDS

A series of aviaries designed to showcase the intelligence of the species exhibited. Mixed exhibits would include two large aviaries home to blue-and-gold, military and scarlet macaws in one, and green-winged, blue-throated and Buffon's macaws in the other. A smaller mixed exhibit would house southern red-billed and southern yellow-billed hornbills. Single aviaries would be home to hyacinth macaws, Moluccan, citron, lesser sulphur-crested, Major Mitchell's and blue-eyed cockatoos, long-billed corellas, more eclectus parrots, peach-faced lovebirds, northern hawk-headed parrots and red-crowned amazons.

THAILAND HORNBILL PROJECT CENTRE

As the name suggests, this round building would be sponsored by and promote the Thailand Hornbill Project. Every single species of hornbill found in Thailand would live here; white-crowned, helmeted, rhinoceros, great, black, oriental pied, bushy-crested, white-throated brown, Tickell's brown, rufous-necked, plain-pouched, wreathed and wrinkled hornbills.

HORNBILL ALLEY

A long path with aviaries housing the remaining species of hornbill both on and off show. The on show species would be northern red-billed, eastern yellow-billed, Von der Decken's, lesser African pied, crowned, eastern pale-billed, African grey, white-crested, yellow-casqued, black-casqued, piping, trumpeter, silvery-cheeked, black-and-white casqued, Palawan and writhed hornbills. Offshow would house Monteiro's, Damara red-billed, western red-billed, Tanzanian red-billed, Baringo red-billed, Jackson's, Hemprich's, great African pied, Bradfield's, central pale-billed, red-billed dwarf, black dwarf, more yellow-casqued, more piping, more silvery-cheeked, brown-cheeked, white-thighed, Malabar pied, Sulu, Indian grey, Malabar grey, Sri Lankan grey, Sumba, Narcondam and rufous-headed hornbills.

GARDEN OF EDEN

This, like Window on Paradise in Jurong Bird Park, would primarily focus on birds-of-paradise. All 39 species would be kept here, however only nine would be permanently offshow. For nearly all the species of BOP there would be multiple males, multiple females or both, with the main exceptions being the paradise-crows and manucodes (two pairs for each species) and the paradigallas (a pair for both species). All of the onshow species of birds-of-paradise would be rotated; occasionally a male, occasionally a female, occasionally multiple females or occasionally multiple males. All displays and competitions between males would take place offshow (the female's choosing of a mate therefore would also happen offshow).

Non birds-of-paradise that would be on exhibit would be Papuan hornbills and Andean cocks-of-the-rock. Non BOPs that are offshow would be white-necked rockfowl.

The species that would be rotated on and offshow would be Huon, ribbon-tailed and Stephanie's astrapias, Wahnes', Carola's, western and Lawes' parotias, crinkle-collared, curl-crested, trumpet and glossy-mantled manucodes, black-billed, brown, black and pale-billed sicklebills, paradise and magnificent riflebirds, and emperor, greater, lesser, raggiana, king, magnificent, Wilson's, King-of-Saxony, superb, red, blue, twelve-wired and standardwing birds-of-paradise. The permanently offshow species would be splendid and Arfak astrapias, bronze parotias, Jobi manucodes, paradise-crows, long-tailed and short-tailed paradigallas, Victoria's riflebirds and Goldie's birds-of-paradise.

Tell me what you think! Remember this is a dream zoo; I do understand that some species (eg Sulu hornbills, various of the BOP species etc) are impossible to get but I just thought these ideas would be kinda cool! :)

3. AthleticBinturong

AthleticBinturong Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Its such a shame that this thread is dead:(

4. elefante

elefante Well-Known Member 10+ year member

It's a shame the whole Fantasy Zoo thread hasn't been so active.

5. lowland anoa

lowland anoa Well-Known Member 5+ year member

It is indeed a shame, I enjoyed reading this thread, few days before I decided to join. Hopefully this thread will get new posts in the nearer future.

6. elefante

The problem is that not so many people seem to be just creating a fantasy zoo. It's been the challenges. Not to say they're bad (I even created one myself) but that seems to the focus these days. Maybe some new creativity can come back to this thread.

7. AnaheimZoo

AnaheimZoo Well-Known Member

Oh, I think quite a few of us can agree that the vultures had begun circling around this thread quite a long time ago.

And it's got very little to do with whether or not people were choosing to create zoos entirely from their imagination or based on the guidelines of others' challenges.

To be frank - back in this thread's heyday, no one had to be reminded (whether it was subtly or outright) of the definition of "design." And users gave compliments and feedback based on the quality of one's design, not because they felt obligated to or for fear of offering anything but positive criticism.

I took some quick looks at the exhibit design competition threads jbnbsn99 started, and I like what I'm seeing. Back when I was on the forum more frequently, he and I started up on an Indian-themed exhibit plan in the chatroom, and, although we didn't get very far in the process, I thoroughly enjoyed our conversation. It introduced to me a new way to go about exhibit design and helped me realize how little of a role things like species lists played in it. (Well, I shouldn't say "how little species lists played." It just made me realize that figuring out the species within exhibits was not a priority.)

This different approach to exhibit design isn't meant to stifle the imagination. It shifts the focus away from species lists and onto the exhibits themselves as to not only simulate the complexities of real-world design processes, but to maximize creativity and yield more fleshed out, and therefore more favorable, results.

Last edited: 24 Sep 2016
  8. pachyderm pro

pachyderm pro Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Lets see if I can re activate this thread. Here is a teaser for my future zoo whatever it might be called, with the exhibits. More coming soon

Pachyderm panorama
    South American rainforest
    Native America
    Breath of Africa
    Jewels of Australia
    Cat county
    Congo Tropics
    Bird sanctuary
    Childrens park
    The great Asian Mountain.
    Deep sea aquatics
    The amazon river
    jungle river boat tour.

9. elefante

Any exhibits designed yet? :)

10. pachyderm pro

I have changed some things. The only remaining exhibits from that list are Breath of Africa, Jewels of Australia, and the Great Asian mountain. Here is the new list.

Breath of Africa
    Jewels of Australia
    The Great Asian Mountain
    Amazonia
    African Elephant plains
    South American Wilds
    Ethiopian Highlands
    Condor Cliffside
    American Wilderness
    Equatoral Rain forest
    Journey through the Nile

1st Design tomorrow hopefully.

11. pachyderm pro

I finally got the 1st exhibit done. I must note I forgot to mention that an aquarium and and childrens zoo called Childrens discovery, are also in the plans

Journey through the Nile- This would be a river boat tour through the Nile and Niger Delta rivers.

As you leave the docking station a small drop will start your journey. the first 2 exhibits are both home to Diana monkeys who can cross overhead of the visitors. Next is a narrow grasslands for a pair of gerenuk. Across from that is a pol for greater flamingos that loops with the turn. Next to the gerenuk is a dense but slightly out of place enclosure for Lowland nyalas. The next exhibit is home to a breeding pair of pygmy hippos. It has a pool a mud wallow and some nice trees for shade but is otherwise a dusty paddock. this is followed by the largest group of Nile crocodiles in America, in a slightly narrow pool . This is followed by a massive cataract that has water that flows into the croc exhibit and a pool for cape clawless otters. The last 3 exhibits are all for hoofstock. The larger 2 look out into a huge savannah that provides more realism. these exhibits are for cape buffalo, and Nile lechwe. The last exhibit before you enter the station is similar to the gerenuk, but less narrow and a little longer. This is home to Jacksons hartebeest.

What do you think?

12. jbnbsn99

jbnbsn99 Well-Known Member

I think that Lowland Nyala are over 8,000 Km away from the Nile Delta.

13. dinosaur50

dinosaur50 Well-Known Member

I love your plans but I think woodpeckers should be added.

14. ShonenJake13

Done and done, add a pair of white woodpeckers to the list of species in the Tropical House!!

15. dinosaur50

dinosaur50 Well-Known Member

i would say helmeted woodpecker it is vulnerable great slaty woodpecker vulnerable and Okinawa woodpecker that is
    Critically endangered

16. ShonenJake13

Ok they will all be added too

17. pachyderm pro

Well I finally finished another exhibit. I would like to introduce you to...
    Tundra circle!
    Species
    Mammals
    Polar Bear
    Fur Seal
    Arctic Fox
    Wolverine
    Narrow-headed Vole
    Birds
    Common Eider
    Brant Goose
    Pink-footed Goose
    Arctic Tern
    Black Guillemot
    Common Murre
    Thick-billed Murre
    Rock Ptarmigan
    Sanderling
    Red Knot
    Long-tailed Jaeger
    King Eider
    Snowy owl

You begin your hike when you enter a large plaza with education and play areas. Not to mention a dense forest in the backround. To your left will be 2 polar bear exhibits. No trees are in either exhibits. Tundra grass, boulders, streams, waterfalls, and a hint of carefully placed mock rock make up the 2, 1.5 acre fields. 2-4 bears rotate both exhibits so breeding will take place. Only the 1st exhibit will have underwater viewing, but the 2nd will have a ice den viewing window. Instead of fences. Glass windows are the barriers that separate the people from the bears. This is followed up by a rocky fur seal habitat. Underwater viewing allows visitors to go under the visitor walkway to view the seals. A small mock rock island and most of the back of the exhibit is the only land here. The back also provides a view into the neighboring polar bear habitat. About 5 fur seals will call this habitat home. You then could enter a dense forest, or enter the Arctic waterfowl aviary. The species above will make up a large stricter with underwater/above water viewing, and free flight aviary. That is except the snowy owl, who has a large exhibit across from the 2nd polar bear habitat. The tall cage will have perching logs and nesting platforms higher up, while the ground will have a grassy terrain with a stream that does across the exhibit, and a handful of boulders. When exiting to aviary, You enter the trail you would have taken by the seals. First of are 2 small exhibits. The first is more open, and is home to narrow-headed voles. The smallest exhibit in this zone is mostly open with a few hiding spots in the form of plants, and rocks. The larger exhibit is very dense, and is home to a wolverine. This exhibit slowly goes uphill getting more and more lush. Continuing down the trail, is the final habitat. One of the largest arctic fox exhibits in the US! A astonishing Arctic fox exhibit will be kinda pit like. Visitors must look down or out in the back to see the lush fox forest. A small waterfall leads into a narrow stream going through the entire exhibit. Bushes, shrubs, logs, small trees, boulders, and special enrichment feeders make up this immersive habitat. You then return to the main plaza where you began.

What do you think?

18. pachyderm pro

I managed to compile 2 small exhibits in my zoo. Both are based on primates.

Japanese Lagoon

Mammals
    Japanese Macaque
    Amphibians
    Japanese Giant Salamander
    Fish
    Koi

A open air room will provide a few things. Shade for visitors, glass viewing windows for the primates, and the salamander tank viewing. The windows will show the lowest point of the macaque habitat. It will go up will with logs and boulders. The highest point of the island can be viewed from the island part of the habitat. Koi dominate the water, so visitors can pay to feed the fish. A log will lead to a smaller island.

Monkeys of the flooded temple

Mammals
    Crab Eating Macaque

A simple exhibit. Glass viewing windows will show under and above water viewing for the aquatic primates. Trees, logs, and climbing platforms make up the back part of the exhibit. Better above water viewing can be viewed from netting on the other side of the exhibit.

{Note from mods - this thread continues here: Design a Zoo 2017}

Last edited by a moderator: 2 Aug 2018
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.