Join our zoo community

Design an exhibit challenge

Discussion in 'Fantasy Zoos' started by CDavies98, 19 Aug 2018.

1. CDavies98

CDavies98 Well-Known Member

It seems I left this thread in very capable hands! Amazing work @KevinB and everyone else who posted exhibit ideas - some amazing concepts! Can't wait for your next challenge list!

Jambo, SpinyLiving, ZooBinh and 2 others like this.
  2. KevinB

KevinB Well-Known Member

The new list has been finished. You can now pick a number from the new challenge list if you wish to do (another) one.

3. CDavies98

Fab, I'll take number 12

4. KevinB

KevinB Well-Known Member

I forgot to add in my previous post that all of the continents, including Antarctica, are represented in at least one challenge.

Challenge number 12 is:
    Your challenge is to design a breeding and education facility, including both publicly visible and off-show enclosures, for the European hamster (Cricetus cricetus) and two other small mammal species native to Western Europe or the British Isles.

5. FelipeDBKO

FelipeDBKO Well-Known Member

Number one as a tribute to Stefán Karl Stefánsson, please :)

Ebirah766 likes this.
  6. KevinB

KevinB Well-Known Member

Challenge number 1 is:
    Your challenge is to design an antelope housing complex that should hold at least 6 species, including large(r) and small(er) species. At least two species should have partially visible indoor housing.

FelipeDBKO likes this.
  7. lycaonpictus

lycaonpictus New Member

I would like to try #7 please!

8. KevinB

KevinB Well-Known Member

Challenge number 7 is:
    Your challenge is to design a complex with at least 1 large exhibit and 2 smaller exhibits, each housing different species from the Cerrado savannas of Brazil. The exhibits can have mixed species or not by your choice.

9. ajmcwhipsnade

ajmcwhipsnade Well-Known Member

Sorry this is from the previous set of challenges, I got behind on it all!

This is my Pacific Walrus exhibit.

Walking up to the exhibit you are faced with a replica rock face, made out of fake rock. A wooden board walk leads you up in between the rocks until you come to a raised decking area. The large decking area acts as the first viewing area and is themed like a port. Lobster cages, ropes etc decorate the surrounding area. The decking is surrounded by a chest high glass wall that overlooks the large pool. The pool holds an incredible 1000,000 gallons of salt water and features a large floating rock island. To the left of the huge pool is a wave machine that creates a tide up onto the beach on the far side of the pool. The beach has two sections, the first being a mixture of sand and gravel whilst further back is made up of rock. Fake rock surrounds the whole enclosure. Walking left off the decking, the wooden board walk leads you down a steep slope beside the pool. You eventually come to the glass viewing tunnel that leads through the bottom of the pool. The viewing tunnel has an automatic walkway and leads you to a similar path that brings you back on up to the large decking area. A separate boardwalk leads back down out of the enclosure. Behind the exhibit is a smaller enclosure, designed in a similar style holding 500,000 gallons of water. This acts as the off show breeding area and is accessible through an opening in the rock face, which is hidden from the public.

KevinB likes this.
  10. CDavies98

This one was definitely a challenge, but here goes.

The exhibits will be in a small building, made of wood, giving it the feel of a mountain chalet (reference to the distribution of these animals), two thirds of the exhibit will be solely inside, in full darkness. On one wall will be 12 burrows, but there will only be glass panels into 6, so that 6 burrows are not visible to the public, and they will all be connected by pipes that are not visible. This exhibit will be home to 2:2 European Hamsters, with all the burrows able to be shut off to allow isolation of individuals - all burrows are accessible from an area behind the exhibit. The areas of wall which do not have visible burrows on will have lift-the-flap boxes which contain information and artefacts regarding the threats facing the hamster that are leading to it's decline across Western Europe - such as a fur, or a trap that farmers would use to kill them. On the opposite wall is an exhibit containing 1:1 Pyrenean Desman - this has a one metre deep pool with underwater viewing, and is densely planted with grasses, with vines hanging over the top to allow climbing. There is one burrow that is off-show. The final exhibit, is accessed through hanging black plastic strips, to block the light from the floor-to ceiling windows that look out into an outside exhibit for the 2:6 European Souslik. There are hills in the turfed floor, and from one corner of the wall extends a strong, perspex bubble into which small children can crawl to get a closer view of the Sousliks. A large hide disguised as a rock will lay flush against the wall and be accessible to keepers inside the building. As part of the education initiative the building will be manned by a volunteer who will teach visitors about all of the species and the threats they face in the wild.

Now, I'd also like to take on challenge #10 if I could.

KevinB likes this.
  11. KevinB

KevinB Well-Known Member

I like your design and how much your detail you put into it, CDavies98!

Challenge number 10 is:
    Your challenge is to design a house dedicated to species endemic to New Caledonia. Included should be the Kagu (Rhynochetos jubatus), the horned parakeet (Eunymphicus cornutus), the New Caledonian Giant Gecko (Rhacodactylus leachianus) and at least two other species.

12. ajmcwhipsnade

ajmcwhipsnade Well-Known Member

can I pick a challenge? Number 8?

13. ZooBinh

ZooBinh Well-Known Member

I'll take 14 if its available.

14. KevinB

KevinB Well-Known Member

Your challenge is to design a penguin house that should include 4 (Sub)Antarctic species of your choice kept in appropriate indoor environments, as well as an enclosure for the snowy sheathbill (Chionis albus) and a suitable outdoor enclosure for a large breeding group of a penguin species that can be suitably kept outdoors.

Your challenge is to design a facility for a breeding herd of Asian elephants (Elephas maximus) including publicly visible indoor housing, a holding facility and separate enclosure for a breeding bull and an outdoor enclosure where the herd is mixed with a hoofstock species from Southern or Southeastern Asia.

15. CDavies98

Once again, this was challenging as I have an incredibly limited knowledge of New Caledonia - so pardon my late reply, research was necessary.

The exhibit will start with an immersive indoor walkthrough aviary, situated in a greenhouse which allows for natural heating in the summer months and is artificially heated in the winter months. The greenhouse is packed out with trees to simulate a rainforest, and has many low level hollow logs in which the horned parakeet can nest. Sharing the exhibit with the horned parakeets are two more species of parakeet the Uvea Parakeets, Eunymphicus uvaeensis, and the New Caledonian Red-Crowned Parakeet, Cyanoramphus saisseti, as well as 1:1 Kagu. Once the guest has travelled through the large greenhouse they come to a dark room, providing a stark contrats to the greenhouse they've just been through. On one wall there is two vivariums - one holds a breeding pair of New Caledonian Giant Gecko, in an exhibit with plenty of vertical space and many branches and simulated tree holes. The other holds a pair of Terror Skink. The wall opposite to this holds the exit door, but on the long wall between the vivs and the door is a floor to ceiling glass-fronted aquarium, plunged in darkness, which holds multiple Bellybutton Nautilus,
    Bellybutton nautilus,
    Nautilus macromphalus.

KevinB likes this.
  16. CDavies98

As this thread seems to have come to a bit of a standstill, I have an idea for a competition to start after all of KevinB's latest challenges have been met - just a challenge set by one person, which has to be designed by anyone who wants to compete in the 24 hours after the challenge is set - then the next 24 hours are voting - the design with the most votes wins and the winner sets a new challenge. We can keep a tally of the winners and after 10 or so challenges I could see about getting a prize from my local zoo to mail out to the one with the most tallies.

17. KevinB

KevinB Well-Known Member

I'm not sure why the standstill, but I just hope it doesn't have anything with to do with me or the types and degree of difficulty of challenges I have come up with.

I do like your competition idea.

I know I set quite a difficult challenge when I thought of that one - not too extreme, I hope, though. Nonetheless I think you did some good research and you filled the challenge very well. I like the other species you came up with.
    Thank you for your design, you did well.

18. CDavies98

I'm sure it's not that, there were quiet periods when I set my challenges too - people just get busy I reckon. Remind me what numbers are left and I'll pick another one!

Cheers, just something I thought might be fun! I'll set it up once everyone's completed their challenges!

KevinB likes this.
  19. KevinB

KevinB Well-Known Member

Currently taken challenges: numbers 1, 7, 8, 10, 12 and 14
    Challenges still available: numbers 2, 3, 4 ,5, 6, 9, 11, 13 and 15

20. Yi Qi

Yi Qi Well-Known Member

Can I do more then one? If so, 9.

KevinB likes this.