Join our zoo community

Design an exhibit challenge

Discussion in 'Fantasy Zoos' started by CDavies98, 19 Aug 2018.

1. KevinB

KevinB Well-Known Member

Yes, you can do more than one challenge - you can do as many as you want - but preferably only one at a time.

Challenge number 9 is:
    Your challenge is to design a large walk-through aviary with at least 10 bird species. You have complete free choice in terms of concept, theming and bird species as long as the species are all housed together, at least most of the time. As the aviary is located in a zoo in a temperate climate region partially visible indoor housing should be included.

2. CDavies98

CDavies98 Well-Known Member

In that case, I'll give number 15 a go please.

KevinB likes this.
  3. KevinB

KevinB Well-Known Member

Challenge number 15 is:
    Your challenge is to design a North American prairie and grasslands area including these species: the American plains bison (Bison bison bison), the Rocky mountain elk (Cervus canadensis nelsoni), the pronghorn (Antilocapra americana), the black-tailed prairie dog (Cynomys ludovicianus), the black-footed ferret (Mustela nigripes), the coyote (Canis latrans), the white-tailed jackrabbit (Lepus townsendii) and the Attwater’s prairie chicken, (Tympanuchus cupido attwateri). You can add more species if you so wish.

Updated list:
    Currently taken challenges: numbers 1, 7, 8, 9, 10, 12, 14 and 15
    Challenges still available: numbers 2, 3, 4 ,5, 6, 11 and 13

4. Ebirah766

Ebirah766 Well-Known Member

ill take challenge 2

5. KevinB

KevinB Well-Known Member

This topic hasn't been active for months, but I guess I should probably still honor this request.

Challenge number 2 is:
    Your challenge is to design a complex or exhibit to house a group of Red kangaroos (Macropus rufus), Emus (Dromaius novahollandiae) and at least 2 other macropods of your choice.

6. CDavies98

CDavies98 Well-Known Member

This could be the boost we needed to kick this back up Kev ;)

7. Ebirah766

We see a large, grassy paddock featuring a sort of tropical dry forest theme. If you listen closely, you can hear something. The tap-tapping of the red kangaroo! The zoo has 2.2 of these specimens, and their exhibit is top-notch, outfitted with a river, a pool to drink from, toys all over the place, and probably some more. There are also some emus in the exhibit, which can be seen scavenging the exhibit for grass just in sight of the kangaroos.
    2.2 Red kangaroo
    1.1 Emu

As we continue down the way, we see a forested, wet exhibit. There is a large moat in front of the exhibit, and swamp plants such as lily pads and cattails can be seen everywhere. The trees in the exhibit include massive willows, cypress trees on the water's edge, and mangroves in the moat.
    4.4 Swamp wallaby

So as we go into the out area, we see a large glass house thing, similar to the London Zoo's aviary. It is a climate controlled habitat for a massive blimmin' colony of quokkas.
    12.12 Quokka

KevinB likes this.
  8. FelipeDBKO

FelipeDBKO Well-Known Member

I actually was going to post my last exhibit call. y.y
    It was supposed to be a complex of 3 exhibits (+ off-show enclosures), each representing a non-savannah African biome: plains, desert and forest. The species would depend on how realistic I wanted to be, but the main possibilities were addra gazelle, addax, scimitar-horned oryx, gerenuk, speke's gazelle, silver dik-dik, bongo, duiker and also water chevrotain. Among the features are snow in the main desert exhibit, the plains being notoriously long so the speke's gazelles can run a lot and (maybe) leave the gerenuks alone while they try to reach their dinner on the trees trunks and treetops, and rivers would separate the bongos, duikers and potential water chevrotains.

KevinB likes this.
  9. Samantha

Samantha Member

Can I have pick one? I’ll pick 12

KevinB likes this.
  10. KevinB

KevinB Well-Known Member

I apologize for not replying for over a month, except for liking your post, but I'll just let you know I like your exhibit design quite a lot, and I also appreciate your choice of species.

I like your concept and choice of species. Thank you!

I apologize and I guess it's understandable given the passage of time, but number 12 of the current list has been taken some time ago. Could you please pick another number?

FelipeDBKO likes this.
  11. Samantha

Samantha Member

Could you say what numbers are available?

12. KevinB

KevinB Well-Known Member

Currently available numbers are 3, 4, 5, 6, 11 and 13.

13. Samantha

Samantha Member

5 please.

14. KevinB

KevinB Well-Known Member

Challenge number 5 is:
    Your challenge is to design a large exhibit for a breeding group of African hunting dogs (Lycaon pictus). Included in the complex should be exhibits for two species of small African carnivores of your choice.

15. Samantha

Samantha Member

The enclosure of the African Hunting Dogs will be 1000 sq metres and will have a sandy floor for them with two dens, some trees, grassy areas and bushes. It will also have a small lake and mini waterfall with a small pond-like pool that is about 4 sq metres.
    For the two exhibits of small African carnivores there will be honey badgers and civets.
    The honey badgers ( Mallivora Copensis) will have an enclosure about 20 sq metres big and will have a climbing play frame and a few tyres on the floor and hanging from the trees. There will be some trees for climbing, the floor will be grass and their will be two platforms to climb and eat on.
    The Civets (Civettictis Civetta) will have an enclosure 20 sq metres big and will have a small box for sleeping, some tree branches hung up for climbing and a platform for eating and climbing on.

KevinB likes this.
  16. FoxesAndFlowers

FoxesAndFlowers Member

Any chance I could have number 11?

17. KevinB

KevinB Well-Known Member

Challenge number 11 is:
    Your challenge is to design a South American coastal aviary that should include the Humboldt penguin (Spheniscus humboldti), the Magellanic flightless steamer duck (Tachyeres pteneres), the Inca tern (Larosterna inca) and at least two more species.

How many/what size pack of African hunting dogs would you keep, and would you choose a breeding group or maybe a bachelor pack? And how would you accommodate group composition in the exhibit?

As far as the honey badgers go, wouldn't they perhaps need a bit more than 20 square meters? They are quite big and can be pretty active, as well as being fairly intelligent.

FoxesAndFlowers likes this.
  18. Ebirah766

Can I have challenge 13?

KevinB likes this.
  19. KevinB

KevinB Well-Known Member

Most certainly.
    Your challenge is to design a house to at least four species from the Valdivian temperate rainforests of Southern Chile. At least two species should have publicly visible and suitable indoor and outdoor enclosures.

Numbers still available:
    3, 4 and 6

20. Ebirah766

Okay, you've given me quite the challenge but here we go.

So, as we walk into the area, we see a large house, similar to the aviary in the Warsaw Zoo. Above the entrance doors we see in a dark green font, The Forests of Valvidia. So, as we walk in, you notice you are on a wooden bridge. The bridge walks over the indoor southern pudu exhibit. There is a hatch that leads to an outdoor exhibit on the side, separated from the visitors by a moat. The indoor exhibit is very lush and attempts to recreate this unique ecosystem for the animals here, things like mist storms are common. Outdoors, the exhibit is forested with plenty of sprinklers attached to the trees for hydration.
    1.1 Southern pudu

So, when you are finished looking at the world's smallest deer, we walk in to the next gallery. This exhibit is much like the pudu's exhibit, but it is actually an exhibit stretching out from the wall in an odd shape. You might notice a few spots crawling through the plants. This is our kodkod exhibit. The kodkods live in an exhibit around 950 feet long by 20 feet in width. Like the pudu exhibit, there is a hatch in the back that leads out to an outdoor exhibit, which is a covered typical small mammal exhibit with climbing opportunities and misters attached to the top.
    1.1 Kodkod

Continuing down the hall, we see a tall, long exhibit designed to show the different heights of the forest, and we might find the special animal in here, the monito del monte, a small marsupial whomst lives amongst the lush trees and plants.
    1.1 Monito del monte

Finally, we end on another exhibit like the pudu's, for an invasive species, the wild boar, which was introduced in the 20th century. The exhibit talks about how destructive the animals are to the ecosystem, with real-caught specimens from the forest. There are 2 large outdoor exhibits, similar to the pudu ones.
    1.1 Wild boar

KevinB likes this.