Join our zoo community

Design An Exhibit

Discussion in 'Speculative Zoo Design and Planning' started by AnaheimZoo, 4 Sep 2012.

1. Moebelle

Moebelle Well-Known Member 10+ year member

No need to read;) Note, the green colored things are caves with exhibits above and side-to-side of the boat.

Attached Files:

2. BeardsleyZooFan

BeardsleyZooFan Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Nice.;) Care to go into detail about the exhibits? If I was any good at drawing, I might try to make a map.

3. Moebelle

Moebelle Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Thank you:)

"River Adventures Through the Southeast": Take .65 mile boat ride through famous islands of Southeast Asia. The ride would take you through about 4 acres of four greenhouses with multiple exhibits on each side of the boat. Each major exhibit would be around 20,000 sq ft (First exhibit in Lords of the Arctic-Cincinnati Zoo if you wanted to compare). There would be space between the boat on either side so that guests could view tanks containing fish native to that certain island, and the other animals who like to swim. Each island area would be surrounded by tall rocks and trees, along with a cave area at the end of each attraction, with 2-3, 7-10ft by 3-10ft tanks, containing nocturnal creatures.. Each area would have windows above the barriers allowing guests and the animals to see the daylight.

Last edited: 29 Sep 2012
  4. 6647

6647 Well-Known Member

It seems the Fantasy Zoo section of the forums is extremely quiet nowadays. Unfortunate. :(

5. BeardsleyZooFan

I'll be creating on a small exhibit soon. It won't be near anything like Voyage to South America, The Great American Prairie, Wonders of African Forest, or Survival on the Steppes. Just a small little exhibit. I'm thinking on possible areas to focus on. Japan? Ethiopia? Mexico?

6. 6647

6647 Well-Known Member

Japan would be good for Raccoon Dogs, Japanese Serows, and Snow Macaques.

Maybe another good location is the Middle East. Persian or Arabian Leopards, Arabian Oryx, and maybe Honey Badgers or Caracals.

7. BeardsleyZooFan

I'm leaning torwards Japan the most, and I have those animals, plus more including black bears, sea eagles, and giant salamanders. I'll look into a Middle East exhibit as well.

8. BeardsleyZooFan

Okay, I've decided to go with Japan. This is my species list so far. Any other additions? I'm bound to add more, but this is just a quick list I came up with.
    Asiatic Black Bear
    Bar-Headed Goose
    Cattle Egret
    Chinese Pond Heron
    Eurasian Eagle Owl
    Eurasian Harvest Mouse
    Golden Eagle
    Great White Pelican
    Japanese Giant Salamander
    Japanese Macaque
    Japanese Night Stork
    Japanese Serow
    Koi Fish
    Mandarin Duck
    Raccoon Dog
    Red-Crowned Crane
    Sika Deer
    Steller's Sea Eagle
    Wild Boar
    Don't worry, once I get an official list, a detailed exhibit will follow!

9. AnaheimZoo

AnaheimZoo Well-Known Member

How about Crested Ibis? A good candidate to represent disappearing species.

10. BeardsleyZooFan

Hmm, didn't think of that one. I'm also thinking of Amimi Shrews, Iriomote Cats, Japanese Badgers, some kind of pinnepid, Copper and Green Pheasants, and Mountain Hawk-Eagles.

11. AnaheimZoo

AnaheimZoo Well-Known Member

No mermaids in there? I mean, they don't really live near Japan, but why not just throw them in? They're mermaids, for Pete's sake - they can be exhibited wherever they please!

amur leopard and Ebirah766 like this.
  12. BeardsleyZooFan

Japanese Gardens should be ready by maybe next week. Don't expect anything phenomenal, just a fun little exhibit I thought I'd do.:)

13. 6647

6647 Well-Known Member

So, how's it going as of now, BZF?

14. BeardsleyZooFan

I'm sorry:(... I've just been so busy this whole week and I've barely got the chance to start... I'm still working on it, but no more official release dates, as I don't know when it will be done.

15. jbnbsn99

jbnbsn99 Well-Known Member

I'll give a little hint. I'm working on something new. :)

amur leopard likes this.
  16. BeardsleyZooFan

My Japanese exhibit design should be up in the next week or so.

17. ThylacineAlive

ThylacineAlive Well-Known Member 10+ year member

What species are you thinking since the obvious choice, Japanese Sea Lion, is Extinct?

@AnaheimZoo- Why does people posting their zoos one exhibit at a time annoy you? How can you expect someone to build a quality zoo if they have to do it all at once. Just look at jbnbsn's exhibits!! I would take like 10 pages for him to do a whole zoo (and probably a small zoo at that:D)

18. epickoala123

epickoala123 Well-Known Member 10+ year member

may I just ask what programme you used for the layout maps,as their very detailed.

19. BeardsleyZooFan

Steller's Sea Lions and California Sea Lions. The South Korean Ministry of Environment plans to replace the Japanese Sea Lion with California Sea Lions if no surviving Japs are found.
    There will, however, be a Japanese Sea Lion Memorial, as well as a Honshu Wolf memorial.
    The full species list so far is;
    Koi Fish, Steller's Sea Lion, California Sea Lion, Steller's Sea Eagle, Copper Pheasant, Green Pheasant, Amami Woodcock, Okinawa Woodpecker, Japanese Green Woodpecker, Japanese Scops Owl, Red-Crowned Crane, Japanese Pond Turtle, Ryukyu Flying Fox, Mariana Flying Fox, Crested Ibis, Great White Pelican, Okinawa Habu, Japanese Mamushi, Amami Shrew, Ryukyu Rat, Japanese Weasel, Spotted Garden Eel, Wrought-Iron Butterflyfish, Japanese Swallowtail Angelfish, Blotchy Anthias, Powder-Brown Tang, Japanese Spider Crab, Japanese Giant Salamander, Japanese Wild Boar, Japanese Raccoon Dog, Eurasian Eagle Owl, Japanese Sika Deer, Iriomote Cat, Asiatic Black Bear, Mountain Hawk-Eagle, Japanese Macaque, Japanese Serow

20. jbnbsn99

jbnbsn99 Well-Known Member

Google SketchUp and Google Earth.