Join our zoo community

Design An Exhibit

Discussion in 'Speculative Zoo Design and Planning' started by AnaheimZoo, 4 Sep 2012.

1. PastorOfMuppets

PastorOfMuppets Member

If your last exhibit is anything to go by, that's very exciting. As a side note, you should check out the site IdealBuildout.com, as the web master there draws professional grade maps mostly based on concepts and descriptions sent in by readers (usually of theme parks, but he has expressed interest in zoological parks). A world-class zoo featuring an exhibit complex like the one you did for S.A. for each continent would be amazing to see and read about. Anyway, great work again on that exhibit, and I'm excited to see what you have coming up.

Last edited: 5 Dec 2012
  2. AnaheimZoo

AnaheimZoo Well-Known Member

Can you quote the post where I said that it annoyed me? I said that posting individual exhibits one at a time was defeating the purpose of Design A Zoo. I didn't say it annoyed me...

...or did I?

3. ThylacineAlive

ThylacineAlive Well-Known Member 10+ year member

The way your opening post was written on this thread made me think that it annoyed you (you sounded angry in my mind). As I said before, the zoo has to be designed one exhibit at a time because no one (especially jbnbsn) could design an entire zoo in one post!! The zoo would be so small and horrible. I usually take a couple of posts to reveil just one exhibit! Besides, zoos don't design the whole zoo up front, they design features and exhibits that will combine together to make one zoo. Doing one at a time makes it more realistic. I'm sorry but I'm keeping my zoo (have you seen my stuff, yet?) on the Design a Zoo thread...

... for now.

4. epickoala123

epickoala123 Well-Known Member 10+ year member

I'm starting to plan an array of exhibits(to go into different zoos), that focus on the wildlife of Africa.
    The exhibits would be based on the wildlife of various Eco systems, and will feature things like; predator areas, hoofstock paddocks, small manmal areas, reptile houses, jungle building, aquariums etc.

These will be some of the exhibits:
    Serengeti
    Gorilla forest
    Sahara desert

Rift valley
    Nile river
    Various nature reserves
    Madagascar
    Nama Karoo reserve
    And possibly:
    Large African aviaries focusing on various areas(bird hotspots).

Any opinions?

Epickoala123

5. Moebelle

Moebelle Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Okavango Adventure

Where you can view all the exhibit from the top while also face-to-face with creatures from the bottom. The blue under the deck represents windows.

Grasslands
    Cape Baboon
    Reticulated Giraffe
    Plains Zebra
    Thomson's Gazelle
    Blue Wildebeest
    Ostrich
    Grey Crowned Crane

Shrublands
    Aardvark
    Caracal
    Greater Kudu
    Gemsbok
    White Rhinoceros

Wetlands
    African Buffalo
    Greater Flamingo
    Hippopotamus
    Nile Crocodile

Attached Files:

6. ThylacineAlive

Be careful, AnaheimZoo really doesn't like designs of just a sentence or two and a species list. You may get a pass since you have the picture, though. Great design photo by the way!

~Thylo:cool:

7. Moebelle

Thank you I appreciate it!:) You weren't here during the Design a Zoo days but if you were you would understand that pictures with little to no description is allowed.;)

8. ThylacineAlive

Anytime! I actually have uploaded a few exhibits for a fantasy zoo on the Design a Zoo thread. I've been designing another one but I haven't worked on it in a while.

9. AnaheimZoo

Moebelle, I really like the map! It's a nice improvement from your previous maps (no offense, although that sounds kind of harsh...)!

And, yes, ThylacineAlive, this idea counts as a 'pass' (although, who am I to judge what qualifies as an idea? - I will once again reiterate that lists ARE NOT ideas, so one can "judge" those). I've never had anything against Moebelle's maps, anyway. I've really liked all of them.

10. Moebelle

Thank you (again, again, and again;)) And no offense taken! It is an improvement. Mainly because it's 3D and using thinner lines makes the quality look better.

11. BeardsleyZooFan

BeardsleyZooFan Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Moebelle- I really like the way you made that map. Definately a good amount of effort was put into making that map, and it is pleasing to the eye. Well done!

12. epickoala123

epickoala123 Well-Known Member 10+ year member

My australian Exhibit should be finished in about a month, don't expect anything big.
    But before I can complete it I need to know........ what species (if any) of Australian mudskippers can be found in european (preferably british) zoos.

13. arcticwolf

arcticwolf Well-Known Member

My exhibit would focus on African nocturnal species. Africa At Night would be an exhibit located at a large zoo in southern Canada or northern USA. It would serve as the zoo’s main nocturnal house, as well as an indoor holding area for some of the zoo’s larger species. Like all of my previous exhibits (on the design a zoo thread), Africa At Night is only home to species found in captivity. I made two sets of mixed species exhibits, but I don’t know if they would actually work out so please correct me if I’m wrong. If anyone has any suggestions, please share them with me because I’m really trying to get better at exhibit designing! I tried to make my tour of the exhibit interesting so I hope you enjoy!

When visitors enter the Africa At Night building, they are completely surrounded by darkness. As they look at the tall rock walls on one side of them, they see two small exhibits for scorpions and baboon spiders. On the other side, a massive rock python watches the people walk by. Dim lights guide the visitors down a dirt trail to meet some more of the savanna’s other nocturnal inhabitants. The first large exhibit on their right is home to aardvarks and white faced scops owls. Thin mesh prevents the owls from flying into the visitor’s area. A small aardvark burrow with a glass window allows people to learn about the amazing burrowers. Tall termite mounds are nearby to educate the guests about the aardvark’s feeding habits. As the visitors get closer to the termite mounds, they realize that there is an animal living in one of them. This animal is a venomous red spitting cobra. Continuing along the trail, guests may be able to spot one of Africa’s smaller cats, the caracal. The caracals at the zoo have a fairly large area with only mesh and glass separating them from the people. A small side trail leads visitors to a nocturnal swamp with the first exhibit being home to a colony of African bullfrogs. Two large exhibits for Nile crocodiles and common hippos are next. The hippo area is mostly land because in the wild, hippos graze at night and they don’t spend a lot of time in the water. People can go into a small tunnel and be surrounded by crocodiles and hippos swimming on either side of them thanks to curved viewing windows. As the visitors go back onto the trail, they encounter another mixed species exhibit home to African crested porcupines and greater galagos. Tall trees allow the lemur-like galagos to show off their natural jumping ability. The final exhibit in the Africa At Night building is home to leopards. The leopard exhibit is very similar to the caracal exhibit, but much larger and with a tall tree in the middle. If the visitors look up, they might spot a dead impala in a tree and learn about how the second largest cat in Africa keeps its food safe. Guests leave the building with lots of new knowledge about the adaptations that animals have to survive at night. A donation box allows the people to give money to the zoo’s conservation projects in Africa, where they are trying to save leopards and other nocturnal species. The leopards and hippos would both have outdoor exhibits visible to the public, but they would be part of a larger African savanna complex which I might describe later.

14. ThylacineAlive

Very nice exhibit! I am a bit critical of the hippos being in there, though. I say just keep them outdoors and use the space for smaller species like Ornate Monitor or even Spotted Hyena. I wouldn't do the underwater tunnel either as it would be too dark to see anything. Also I'd nix the outdoor Leopard enclosure only because the door between the indoor and outdoor sections would allow light in and ruin the affect. Besides those small things great exhibit!

15. arcticwolf

Thanks for the suggestions! I didn't really think about the underwater viewing, so unless I can think of a way that allows visitors to see, I'll just cut it. Also, it's technically not a tunnel because there are no animals swimming above the people. I think the hippos should stay in the building because the zoo is in a cold climate and the hippos would need an indoor area. It also will show visitors another side of the hippo. I think it could be a problem to keep leopards fully indoors so I would make the connection between the indoor and outdoor exhibits not visible to the public. I'm glad you liked my exhibit and the more suggestions the better!

16. ThylacineAlive

Perhaps with the Leopard you could have one on exhibit outside and one on exhibit inside at all times except for breeding since they're solitary predators. Also, I'd add species like Sand Cat and Straw-Colored Fruit Bat to the exhibit as well and I think you could pass a duiker species in their. Since the exhibit is a nocturnal African exhibit you could add Madagascan species.

17. arcticwolf

The exhibit focuses on species from the African savanna so sand cats and madagascan species would not really fit in with the theme. I might add fruit bats and duikers roaming freely around the building. That's a good idea for the leopards!

18. AnaheimZoo

Little duikers running freely along crowded pathways in the dark? Not too sure about that one! ;) Unless you were thinking differently than I am?

Other than that, I like the idea. Having hippos in a nocturnal house seemed very interesting, but ThylacineAlive brought up a good point when he addressed the possible lighting issues with the underwater viewing. And how about adding some aardwolves in that interesting little mix?

And Thylo! Shame on you! All Zoochatters know that Madagascan species should never be exhibited in any type of African-themed exhibit!

19. ThylacineAlive

Why? Madagascar is part of Africa. Besides, until I mentioned it he never specified what part of Africa so, for an all African exhibit, Madagascar would be fair game. It's like saying Tasmanian species shouldn't be included in an Australian exhibit because it's an island. Of course Madagascar does have a bit more diversity.

20. jbnbsn99

jbnbsn99 Well-Known Member

Madagascar may be included with Africa politically, but in reality, it should be considered the 8th continent. Its fauna is unique. Even its people and language are more related to Indo-Austral people.