Join our zoo community

Design an Exhibit

Discussion in 'Fantasy Zoos' started by AverageWalrus, 26 Oct 2014.

1. AverageWalrus

AverageWalrus Well-Known Member

Welcome, Welcome everyone to the latest iteration of the "Design an Exhibit" kind of thread. I decided to make this because all the "Design an Exhibit" threads are pretty much dead, (except for design a zoo, but thats a zoo, not just a singular exhibit) So the rules of this are that you must follow the rules of each design challenge. 4-5 days after I post the challenge, I will pick the exhibit that i think is best, then I will post the next challenge, and so on and so forth, so now, THE FIRST CHALLENGE

An Aquarium is redesigning and renovating their "Reef Predators" exhibit, featuring carnivorous and predatory species of Coral Reefs from around the world, and they have chosen you to design it.

The Species of "Reef Predators"
    2.3 Blacktip Reef Sharks
    3.3 Bonnethead Sharks
    2 Panther Groupers
    2 Goliath Groupers
    2 Nassau Grouper
    3 Tiger Groupers
    30 French Grunt
    4 Lane Snapper
    3 Gray Snapper
    7 Yellowtail Snapper
    15 Porkfish
    1 Great Barracuda
    4 Atlantic Tarpon
    1 Green Moray
    1.1 Ribbon Eels
    2 Porcupinefish
    2 Guinefowl Puffers
    1 Psychedelic Frogfish
    1.2 Nurse Shark
    2.2 Lemon Shark
    2.3 Spotted Eagle Ray
    1.1 Yellow Stingray
    1.1 Southern Stingray
    1 Mimic Octopus
    10 Red Lionfish

THE RULES

1. You can Get rid of only 10 species, the rest have to stay
    2. You can add as many species as you want, but they must be Predatorial or Carnivorous.

2. cloudedleopard

cloudedleopard Well-Known Member

All the tanks would be light, spacious, and with coral. The first area would be No Bone, No Problem (NBNP)
    NBNP Rays Alive would have three species of rays- spotted eagle ray, yellow stingray, and southern stingray. Nearby would be a touch tank for southern stingrays and cownose rays.
    NBNP Sharks of the World would have four species of shark in naturalistic enclosures with rockwork and colorful corals- bonnethead, blacktip reef, lemon, and nurse. Bamboo and leopard sharks would have a nearby touch tank.
    Groups of Groupers would have massive tanks for panther, tiger, Nassau, and Goliath grouper. Nearby would be a reef tank for green sea turtles.

3. AverageWalrus

Since nobody did the last challenge except for cloudedleopard, i have decided to make a new one, and also RULES CHANGE! Whoever wins this challenge makes the next one, then they pick the best one, then that person makes a challenge and so on and so forth

Anyways, the next Challenge

A zoo has an Outdated Africa Exhibit, and you have to Redesign and Expand it

Species in The Exhibit

1.3 African Lion
    3.3 Plains Zebra
    1.1 Aardvark
    0.2 African Elephant
    1.5 Chimpanzee
    2.2 Red River Hog
    1.1 Ring Tailed Lemur
    2.3 Impala
    2.2 Ostrich
    1.0 African Grey Parrot
    5.5 African Penguin
    0.2 Hippopotamus
    1.1 Secretary Bird
    1.5 Gemsbok
    1.2 Reticulated Giraffe
    2.5 Thompson's Gazelle

Challenge Rules

You can remove up to 3 species
    You can add as many species as you want

4. cloudedleopard

The Africa exhibit would start with an old jeep and a plaza (gift shop, restrooms, cafe, ATM) as well as a petting zoo with pygmy goats, and camel rides. First would be an outdoor, glass-fronted, closed exhibit kept nocturnal for the aardvarks. Nearby would be two exhibits for Senegal bushbabies and black and rufous elephant shrews, completing the first area, Africa at Night. The next area would be Pachyderm Plains. Visitors would then see a large, rocky, grassy naturalistic enclosure for African lions. Pachyderm Plains would have three 10-acre plains exhibit with mud, sand, trees, pools, and other enrichment for three species of pachyderm found in East Africa- African bush elephants, Northern white rhinos, and eastern black rhinos. The East African Lake would have Ellipsen waterbuck and sitatungas in a 5-acre mixed exhibit marsh, followed by flamingos, herons, and other wading birds in another 5-acre marshy lake exhibit and a 10-acre habitat for Nile hippos, as well as a similar 10-acre habitat for Cape buffalo. The 40-acre Twiga National Park would be next- a savanna for the ostriches, plains zebras, impalas, Thomson's gazelles, reticulated giraffes, gemsbok, gerenuk, and secretary birds. Nearby would be a 5-acre plain habitat for black wildebeest. A colony of meerkats would be nearby, followed by a 10-acre island habitat with trees, water, mud, enrichment, and more for a troop of chimpanzees- the start of the African Rainforest, which would continue past okapi, black duiker, and pygmy hippo exhibits. The pygmy hippo would be exhibited near a dwarf crocodile in an African River habitat. Red river hogs and an aviary for gray parrots would complete the African Rainforest. A 10-acre beach habitat for African penguins would complete this exhibit, renamed Wild World of Africa.

Last edited: 3 Nov 2014
  5. FBBird

FBBird Well-Known Member

Good luck mixing Black (White-tailed) Wildebeest with all those other species.

6. cloudedleopard

What is wrong with black wildebeest?

7. Lizard_boy

Lizard_boy Well-Known Member

A large area and there would be savanna grass and a rainforest for the red river hogs chimpanzees and a large lake in the corner with a island in the middle for the lemurs and the penguins swim in the lake (it's got a sand bottom) and a massive savannah with watering holes and some burrows and termite mounds in one of the corners for the aardvarks and lots of old boabab and aciaca trees and some sand (so the animals can feel like there in the desert if they want to and a big mountain of rocks in the corner for baboons and rock hyraxes and a track for a jeep you can ride in

8. cloudedleopard

Lizard_boy:
    Your idea is good but you removed more than 3 species. Look at ZooFan23, jbnbsn, Javan Rhino, siamang27, redpanda and more for real exhibits.

9. FBBird

FBBird Well-Known Member

Nothing is wrong with Black Wildebeest. They are beautiful, weird, exciting and great fun. I really like them. But, they can be very aggressive with other stock and with each other.

10. AverageWalrus

Tommorow is the deadline to design your exhibit! Post it by 11:59 PM EST on 11/7/14 (11:59 EST is about 2:59 AM for those of you in the UK, i think)

11. AverageWalrus

Okay, since only you did the challenege and actually followed the rules, i gues you are the winner cloudedleopard, now you must come up with a challenge

12. cloudedleopard

My challenge is:
    A zoo is designing an Australian exhibit. The requirements are:
    3 species of macropod
    2 species of other marsupial
    At least 2 mixed-species exhibits
    At least 2 but no more than 5 vivaria
    At least 1 but no more than 3 aviaries
    At least 1 but no more than 3 aquariums

13. Batto

Batto Well-Known Member

Just one (!) exhibit? And where in the world is the zoo located?

3 macropods & mixed: Macropus rufogriseus, Petrogale xanthopus and Wallabia bicolor, as displayed at Tierpark Berlin Friedrichsfelde
    2 non-macropod marsupials: Petaurus breviceps and Trichosurus vulpecula
    2 vivaria: one for Pogona vitticeps, one for Extatosoma tiaratum
    1 aviary & mixed:Taeniopygia guttata and Geopelia cuneata
    1 Aquarium: Carettochelys insculpta

Challenge: design a bullfrog exhibit. ;)

14. AverageWalrus

Thats not how this works, Batto

15. cloudedleopard

I'll extend the deadline to 15th at 11:59 pm.
    Batto, you come up with a fantasy zoo with the requirements and check this thread to see if you win. If you win, you set the next challenge. Don't post on this unless YOU KNOW HOW IT WORKS.

16. Batto

Batto Well-Known Member

@Cloudedleopard & AverageWalrus: I fail to see why my suggestion shouldn't work/ be against any obscure regulations. And why do you WRITE IN CAPITAL LETTERS? ;)

But don't worry; please feel free to continue with your little mutual game of two. If you didn't get the joke or the reference, my bad.

17. cloudedleopard

No, Batto. You submit a fantasy zoo exhibit with these requirements and check back to see if you won. I won the last challenge, so I set the challenge and determine whose exhibit is the best. Do not spam threads like this.
    I get it! How to Exhibit a Bullfrog :D

18. Batto

Batto Well-Known Member

Why not? Might get you the attention you desire...;)
    Good on you! Feel free to continue.

19. Lizard_boy

Lizard_boy Well-Known Member

One large open feild (walkthrough) with a Rocky Mountain in the middle with swamp wallabies rock wallabies tamar wallabies red kangaroos and grey kangaroos with a large creek souruanded by gum trees and a large dry scrub exhibit split into 4 parts for frill neck lizards perenties brown snakes and wombats then there would be a large barn with merino sheep and barn owls with a cafe in the corner and outside yards for horses then a pen for rabbits and guiena pigs then a large netted aviary with palm trees mangrove trees and gumtrees hanging over a creek for flying foxes pelicans small barramundi and eels then another large netted aviary and a with a walk way above the ground with gum trees palm trees and ferns with king parrots sulphur crested cockatoos yellow tailed black cockatoos and red tailed cockatoos Eucletus parrots and rainbow lorikeets and kookaburras with a creek running throw it then after the rest of the aviary is a large pond with fresh water crocs snake necked turtle and long necked turtles and then a nocturnal house with large tanks filled with gumtree leaves with powerful owls tawny frogmouths ringtail possoums and brush tailed possums then 3 desert tanks with dry spinefix for spinefix hopping mice dunnarts and bilbys.then a small house with tanks for white lipped tree frogs green tree frogs brown tree frogs guppies yabbies turtles and blue tougune lizards then a netted aviary for finches with zebra finches gouldian finches beautiful diamond tailed finches beautiful fire tailed finches gold finches and green finches then a large tank split into four areas filled with sugar cane for cane toads cane rats cane beetles and coastal taipans.

Last edited: 17 Dec 2014
  20. cloudedleopard

12/18 at 11:59 Eastern Time will be the deadline.