Join our zoo community

Tierpark Hellabrunn Detailed review of Munich Zoo - Hellabrunn

Discussion in 'Germany' started by Swedish Zoo Fan, 23 Dec 2010.

1. Swedish Zoo Fan

Swedish Zoo Fan Well-Known Member

The zoo in Munich, the Hellabrunn zoo, is very well known, and has a very nice collection as well. During the last years they have also started to build new enclosures, and I've heard that a new giraffe house is one of the plans.

Here is a more detailed review of the areas of the zoo

Europe is the first themed area, with mostly big and green exhibits, with Persian fallow deer, moose, Alpine ibex, brown bear, various duck and geese species, wolf, European bison, chamois, Alpine marmot and a shared exhibit with Tarpan (extinct wild horse) and Aurochs (also extinct). There's also an exhibit for Przewalski's wild horse in this area. This part of the zoo is very nice to walk in, with mostly green and big exhibits.

America is a rather small area, but it's still nice. The biggest exhibit is the South american exhibit, with capybaras, maras, vicuñas, rheas and giant anteaters. The group of wood bison share their exhibit with prairie dogs and different duck species. The lush exhibit for maned wolves is also in this part of the zoo.

The Urwaldhaus (forest house in english) is the place where the African primates live, in this case it is Lowland gorillas and chimpanzees. Their indoor exhibits are great, and the outdoor exhibits aren't bad either, they just could need some more hiding places. In this house can you also see Diana monkeys, different fishes and reptiles, which includes a pair of American alligators. In the basement of the house is also the big aquarium, with a pretty nice collection of different fishes.

The Orangutan-paradise is the other monkey house in the zoo. The highlight here is the big breeding group of Sumatran orangutans. They have a good indoor exhibit and a very good outdoor exhibit, with lots of climbing facilities. In this house lives also groups of mandrills, Collared mangabeys, Silvery gibbons and Black-headed spider monkeys. The gibbons and the spider monkeys live on some islands, not to big, but with lots of climbing facilities. In another monkey house, the older house, lives siamangs, squirrel monkeys, Ring-tailed lemurs, Red-ruffed lemurs and Cotton-top tamarins.

Australia is probably the smallest area, but has some very good exhibits. In two lush exhibits live groups of Red kangaroos and Agile wallabies. In some smaller aviaries lives various cockatoo species and Keas.

The elephant house is a very old house, and is now the facility for Asian elephants, Reticulated giraffes and red river hogs. They all have very big outdoor exhibits, but the indoor exhibits are ok, although they could be bigger. One of the future plans of the zoo is to build a new exhibit for the giraffes.

The tortoise house is the indoor exhibit for the group of Aldabra tortoises. The house also works as insectarium, because mostly of the insects in Hellabrunn can be seen here. Also a small colony of Naked-mole rats have their home in this house. The tortoises also have a nice outdoor exhibit. The pair of red pandas also have their little nice exhibit outside the house.

The jungle tent is the main tropical house in the zoo. The main attractions in the house are the big cats, which has their indoor exhibits in the house. African lions, jaguars and ozelots all have their exhibits here. The indoor exhibits are not the best, but I still like them, because they are built in a natural look, with many different plants around them and so on. In the house lives also Lesser mouse deers, flying foxes and different tropical birds, for example a big group of Rainbow lorikeets. The outdoor exhibits for the cats are located around the house, and there's nothing wrong with them either. The last exhibit here is the big exhibit for the small group of African wild dogs.

Africa is the next part, and is very much like Europe, with big and green exhibits. Cheetahs and nyalas have their exhibits here, and the big savannah with zebras, elands, ostriches, Greater kudus and Dama gazelles is also located here. There's also a big exhibit for Hamadryas baboons here.

The Polarium is the exhibit for aquatic animals in the zoo, but I can't say so much about it, since it was closed during my visit, because they were building the new exhibit for polar bears. I know that sea lions, penguins and polar bears live here, that's all I know.

The Children's zoo is very nice and here lives various common domestic animals like rabbits, pigs, pygmy goats and ponys, but also a few exotic animals like donkeys, guinea pigs, alpacas and macaws. The zoo restaurant is also found here.

Asia is probably the best part of the zoo, with lots of open areas, mostly for asian herbivores. Here you can see gaur, banteng, yak, kiang, takin, Reeves muntjac, nilghai, blackbuck, markhor, all in great exhibits. Indian rhinos, Malayan tapirs and bearded pigs live in the same house, their stables are not very good, and in the house also lives two-toed sloths, even if they come from South America. Lots of Asian carnivores are also in this part of the zoo, and you can see Siberian tiger, wolverine, lynx, snow leopard and puma (also from South America). The old otter exhibit is now rebuilt into a new exhibit for Humboldt penguins.

The Villa Dracula is a very interesting house. The main attraction here is the bat cave, where the visitors can stand in the same room as a huge group of free-flying bats. In the house also lives Banded mongoose, elephant shrew, agouti, Cuban hutia and African birds like different weavers.

The huge aviary is a real highlight, with many different bird species living together. Some of the species in the aviary are Scarlet ibis, waldrapp, Mandarin duck, Black stork and Glossy ibis.

All in all, the Munich Zoo is a very nice zoo, with many good exhibits and is definatly worth a visit.

Positive things
    Jungle Tent - cat indoor exhibits
    Urwaldhaus - indoor exhibits for primates
    Asia - a great themed area with great exhibits

Negative things
    The indoor exhibits for rhinos - not very good and needs a renovation
    Wolf exhibit - not bad, but it's too small

Hope you liked my review! :)

2. Eagle

Eagle Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Sorry, but the jungle tent is definetly one of the worst new buildings in any german zoo, Fortunately they're planning a new house for the lions.

Last edited: 1 Jan 2011
  3. Swedish Zoo Fan

Swedish Zoo Fan Well-Known Member

/Eagle

I agree that the outdoor cages are to small, but I did actually like the jungle tent. I think I read on a german zoo-forum that they were planning to build a new house for the lions.

4. Eagle

Eagle Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Ah I wanted to say that they are planning a new lion house, I don't know why I wrote hopefully -.- I meant fortunately

5. Tarsius

Tarsius Well-Known Member

Fortunately, they will stop also keeping jaguars in it. It seems, the new director has a good knowledge about the needs of big cats.....The Jungle Tent might be good enough to keep smaller mammals, birds and reptiles in it, but not any longer big cats.

On the other side, altough it was n't planned by the architect, the architecture of the Jungle Tent has defenitely destroyed the beautyful park character of Hellabrunn, like the "Rhino Flying Saucer" and the "Tortoise House did the same way. I've been to Hellabrunn a long time before this houses opened, at this time, Hellabrunn was really one of the most beautyful animal parks in the world.