Join our zoo community

Detroit Zoo Detroit Zoo News 2018

Discussion in 'United States' started by Rothko, 22 Jan 2018.

1. Rothko

Rothko Member

New year, new thread!

I went to the Detroit Zoo the other day, and they had some renderings posted up that I haven't seen online yet. There was some digging going on the new tiger habitat, but it didn't look too far along. They also had relocated the red pandas just to the west of the tiger temporarily, and their habitat and the entire adjacent picnic site was all fenced off. It didn't look like much work if any was being done yet. These are both scheduled to be open in 2018.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

There were workers there actively working on the expansion of the grizzly habitat. It should be a nice area for them once completed. I'm guessing they're just turning the three exhibits into one large one. Also the giraffe expansion was going great - the indoor portion was pretty much done, and three of the four giraffes were in it. Looks like the outdoor portion was coming along nicely.

2. jayjds2

jayjds2 Well-Known Member

After the recent enclosure of the nearby Organization for Bat Conservation’s Bat Zone, 61 of their animals will be going to the Detroit Zoo soon:
    54 bats (three species: straw-colored fruit bats, short-tailed fruit bat, and Jamaican fruit bat)
    5 southern flying squirrels
    1 Linnaeus’s two-toed sloth
    1 Cranwell’s horned frog

With the eventual renovation of the old penguinarium into a bat exhibit, it is more than likely in my opinion that the bats will go on exhibit at some point in the future.

Detroit Zoological Society Provides Sanctuary for Animals Displaced by Bat Zone Closure - Detroit Zoo

Wyman and Kifaru Bwana like this.
  3. blospz

blospz Well-Known Member

4. Alex Bensky

Alex Bensky Well-Known Member

I have been unable to find any information regarding the bat exhibit...not what it will look like, what they'll have in their, or any timetable.

Wyman likes this.
  5. TZFan

TZFan Well-Known Member

6. Milwaukee Man

Milwaukee Man Well-Known Member

7. jayjds2

jayjds2 Well-Known Member

8. Moebelle

Moebelle Well-Known Member

Took my first visit to the Detroit Zoo today. Took a four hour drive just to find out that the Arctic Ring of Life was closed. Overheard workers say there was a leak in the underwater viewing area. Biggest miss of my zoo visiting life. I believe I made up for it though. I'll begin with the new penguin complex. I do not mean this hypothetically when I say that the attraction is jaw dropping. I believe it deserves what it's going to get, a true documentary style video. Without a doubt the greatest bird exhibit I've ever seen. I also will cover the American Grasslands, African Grasslands, the Reptile Center, and the Amphibian Center. Guess I'll have to make another trip by the end of the summer.

Wyman likes this.
  9. geomorph

geomorph Well-Known Member Premium Member

I feel your pain, that is disappointing! I visited there for my first time last Fall, and enjoyed seeing it. So I was fortunate as far as Detroit was concerned but I have had my own experiences where the best exhibit was closed or drained or ruined by tacky Halloween junk, etc.

Moebelle and Wyman like this.
  10. TigerValley98

TigerValley98 Well-Known Member

11. Kifaru Bwana

Kifaru Bwana Well-Known Member

I would appreciate your help in finding out more on the former Syrian brown bear at Detroit Zoo and to what sanctuary in Colorado it was sent out.

12. Echobeast

Echobeast Well-Known Member

None of the articles make it clear as to where they were sent. If I were to assume anything, they probably were sent to the Wild Animal Sanctuary which is a humongous facility north and east of Denver with nearly 10,000 acres of land and 500 carnivores.

Kifaru Bwana likes this.
  13. Loxodonta Cobra

Loxodonta Cobra Well-Known Member

Kifaru Bwana likes this.
  14. geomorph

geomorph Well-Known Member Premium Member

I think they actually came from San Diego Zoo’s Safari Park, it has been years since that species was on exhibit at the zoo itself...maybe at least 10 years? The zoo does have off-exhibit enclosures for hoofstock but I think they are occupied mostly by deer and goats.

Wyman likes this.
  15. Moebelle

Moebelle Well-Known Member

Polk Penguin Conservation Center at the Detroit Zoo
    An Apex Attraction

Video:
    Description:
    The Endurance, the ship that took Sir Ernest Shackleton through the treacherous Drake Passage over 100 years ago, has been restored and calls for new explorers. A new journey awaits for those that are up to the challenge. Do you have what it takes to withstand the conditions of the Antarctic? The sights are unrivaled, and in spite of the South Pole's uninviting environment, voyages to Antarctica posses a worth like no other. A world so surreal, a world so jarring, but still a world so rewarding. A shining example of peace and turmoil, balanced together without bringing disturbance to nature. This is the impression left on those that walk through the Penguin Conservation Center at the Detroit Zoo. An apex attraction - the most superior of its kind, and a leading example that all should follow. At 33,000 square feet, this is the largest penguin complex in the entire world. $30 million was spent to give over 80 coexisting birds a one of a kind home. Guests can share their world from multiple views and levels. One is able to get toe-to-toe with a penguin - but beauty can come with a price. In order to make the dive into the cold waters, one must cross the Drake Passage and board the Endurance. A 4D, 360-degree projected experience awaits, the sea is all around you, as wind and mist as cold as the icy waters can be felt blown in the air. As a destructive storm brews, you can take shelter below deck, and meet other Antarctic spectacles like the Killer Whale, Humpback, Giant Squid, and more. Follow the inviting blue of the tunnel where the penguins can fly all around you - from the side, below where you stand, and even settled along lights above the surface. The expedition still continues as you climb from the depths, with a close encounter of calving icebergs nearly falling right on top of you. With one last exclamation of interjection - the Antarctic gives you a farewell with one last look at the penguin empire. Even through a screen, I want you to enjoy this overwhelming experience of the Penguin Conservation Center, and I encourage you to see it for yourself.

If I had to beg someone to watch any of my videos, my efforts would go towards this one. Not only is the Penguin Conservation Center a mind blowing exhibit but this is unlike anything you've seen before. An attempt to bring the atmosphere to you, an attempt to make you feel surrounded by the attraction itself. With elements borrowed from Planet Earth, combined with a new documentary style, this is the greatest zoo tour you'll encounter on a screen. This was created to inspire, to give off a chilling impression, and to make the viewer eager for to see it all for themselves.​

Last edited by a moderator: 20 Nov 2018
  16. TigerValley98

TigerValley98 Well-Known Member

17. MeiLover

MeiLover Well-Known Member

Adult male grey seal Kiinaq is now living at the Brookfield Zoo.

Wyman likes this.
  18. John Marchwick

John Marchwick Well-Known Member

19. Yi Qi

Yi Qi Well-Known Member

Wyman and Kifaru Bwana like this.
  20. NVP

NVP Well-Known Member

Wyman likes this.