Join our zoo community

Detroit Zoo Detroit Zoo News 2022

Discussion in 'United States' started by MIZOOenthusiast070128, 22 Jan 2022.

1. AlmightyKingPrawn

AlmightyKingPrawn Well-Known Member

Still didn't get rid of all the annoying "IMG" that I can't get rid of everywhere, but thanks.

Last edited: 3 Jun 2022
  2. AlmightyKingPrawn

AlmightyKingPrawn Well-Known Member

In regards to the animals listed on the 2020 proposal, I don't feel that the weird choices already elsewhere in the zoo like the camels and warthogs will be moved. As mentioned I am holding out hope for the black footed ferrets. They could very easily put the honeybees and leaf cutter ants in many different places. I can see both the burrowing and barn owls as plausible, the former being able to be associated with the prairie dogs and ferrets and the latter having been housed by them in the past. Snowy owl, eh, not as likely to me as the other two. Them getting a rescue burro would not shock me at all.

The pdf has a "design inspiration" section that shows pictures of lots of different intricate nature-inspired playgrounds, including ones at Henry Doorly and Lincoln Park. So this thing will be a sight to see, probably the most expensive looking (in sheer appearance) exhibit at Detroit beside Polk Penguin Conservation Center.

StoppableSan likes this.
  3. MIZOOenthusiast070128

MIZOOenthusiast070128 Well-Known Member 5+ year member

If the bush dogs are coming back, what does that mean for Neo the cassowary?

4. Corangurilla

Corangurilla Well-Known Member

Maybe they’ll move her into the old emu exhibit in the Australia section (if the fence is still there, at least)?

5. Bisonblake

Bisonblake Well-Known Member

The fence has been gone for many years. It gone removed once the emus left

6. evilmonkey239

evilmonkey239 Well-Known Member 5+ year member

If the prairie dogs are moved to the children’s zone, I wonder what will become of their habitat in American Grasslands?

7. Bisonblake

Bisonblake Well-Known Member

Probably will get destroyed, I can't think of any small North American species that can have an exhibit in that area. If I had to guess, a few plants and trees might be placed there, maybe a statue or fountain.

8. StoppableSan

StoppableSan Well-Known Member 5+ year member

North American porcupine? Raccoon? Uinta ground squirrel? Just spitballing.

9. Smaggledagle

Smaggledagle Well-Known Member

10. Elena

Elena Well-Known Member

11. Azamat Shackleford

Azamat Shackleford Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Made a visit to Detroit a few days ago, not sure if it's been mentioned but the former Lion-tailed macaque exhibit near the tigers had signage mentioning that Allen's swamp monkeys will be taking their place (lemurs are back in their old exhibit near the macaques).

The butterfly house, aviary, and reptile house were closed on my visit, and the free-roaming peafowl were all off-exhibit.

12. Corangurilla

Corangurilla Well-Known Member

Ooh, Allen’s Swamp Monkeys are a good choice for a new species (better than moving the lemurs, that’s for sure). I wonder if the zoo will try to make that exhibit part of Africa instead of Asia (it’s in close proximity to the Great Apes of Harambee).
    Also, once the monkeys arrive, Detroit will be back up to 5 primate species! Nature is healing…

13. Smaggledagle

On June 27th, the zoo announced that their flamingos and some other bird species are back on exhibit due to lower cases of avian influenza.

Detroit Zoo - DZS News Week of June 27, 2022 | Facebook | By Detroit Zoo | Sunset at the Zoo recap, after-hours events and more! Watch this week's full DZS News episode here: https://youtu.be/PZh71T_urj8

14. MIZOOenthusiast070128

Two Allen's swamp monkeys, Azizi (male) and Pepper (female) were on exhibit today. I can post pictures later.

15. MIZOOenthusiast070128

Here's the swamp monkeys. Im curious if they're rescues or not, or if more monkeys will be added later.

Attached Files:

16. Smaggledagle

On July 3rd, the zoo announced they are redoing the pathing in the Arctic Ring of Life area.

17. Smaggledagle

On July 22nd, the zoo announced that the Wildlife Interpretive Gallery, Butterfly Garden, and Matilda R. Wilson Free-Flight Aviary have all reopened to the public.

18. birdsandbats

birdsandbats Well-Known Member 5+ year member

That sounds really good but all three of those essentially mean the same exhibit.

StoppableSan likes this.
  19. TheGerenuk

TheGerenuk Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Some Aruba Island rattlesnakes have hatched recently. They are currently growing up behind the scenes.

20. Smaggledagle

On August 4th, the zoo announced that a (1.0) grizzly bear named Jebbie/Jeb have moved from the Arctic Ring of Life to the Bear Den, behind the exhibit with the other bears.