Join our zoo community

Detroit Zoo Review

Discussion in 'United States' started by GraysonDP, 21 Dec 2016.

1. Alex Bensky

Alex Bensky Well-Known Member 10+ year member

I don't know but they usually have a docent there, so next time I visit I'll ask. If I can find out an answer I'll post it. I haven't heard anything about this being a problem but I may have missed something.

2. natel12

natel12 Well-Known Member 5+ year member

That's good to hear thank you

3. Miss Gulch

Miss Gulch Member

Just some observations from a visit last week (no pictures, because I only had a very long lens with me):

- the river otter exhibit is closed and fenced/tarped off for renovation/expansion

- nothing is happening with the tiger exhibit yet

- about a dozen extremely tall trees have been planted in the giraffe enclosure

- the stone wall between the aardvark and warthog exhibits has been removed, the entire area graded, and I saw at least one aardvark “tube” set in the former warthog area, so it appears the entire area may be going to be dedicated to the aardvarks

- the prairie dog exhibit is still closed, but all the dirt has been replaced and new sod is in place

- the large unused, grassy area across the path from the horse corral has been fenced off with the same fencing that currently surrounds the horses; I can’t imagine what will be happening there

- the Rainforest Immersion Gallery inside the Amphibian Center is closed and is apparently going to be renovated as a larger space for the Japanese Salamanders; per a docent, it may be fall before it is finished/started?; Homer, the sloth, has been moved to the old meerkat exhibit behind the lion enclosure, and a Southern African Python is now also on display in that same building

- the outdoor aviary between the lions and the sloth exhibit now houses two Kookaburras; the Curassow and the Blue-bellied Roller that were there last year are no longer in that exhibit

- I’ve only ever noticed one Siamese Crocodile in the reptile house before, but now I see two, and the glass wall between their area and the Water Monitor area has been removed and the Water Monitor is no longer on display

- Davey, the Binturong, died last fall

- there used to be two, but now there is only one Bald Eagle on display, and now only one is mentioned on their website

- there used to be two, but now there is only one Przewalski’s Horse on display, and now only one is mentioned on their website

- their website used to mention 18 kangaroos; now they state there are 17

- one seal died; there are now only 4

- the older wolverine died last summer; only Anna is left, though I haven’t seen her the last several times I visited

- the two Tree Kangaroos are no longer listed on their website, though I did see one of them in the exhibit last week

- last fall, the male Red Panda was moved into the Lemur display; now the lemurs are back in their exhibit, I’ve only seen two of the Red Pandas in their area, and the male is no longer listed on their website

- the website continues to list four zebras, but I’ve only ever seen three in the exhibit

- very large evergreen trees have been added to the Japanese Macaque and Grizzly Bear exhibits (not planted trees, but trees that have been cut down from other areas)

- lots of sprucing up is taking place…replacing broken fencing, mulching, scrubbing of water holes, etc.; things look nice!

That’s all for now.

4. jayjds2

jayjds2 Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Hi Miss Gulch,

Thanks for the long list of updates. Are white-lipped deer on exhibit anymore? If I recall correctly, they were in the same exhibit as the Przewalski's horse.

Thanks!

5. Miss Gulch

Miss Gulch Member

Hi, jayjds2. Yes, there are still white-lipped deer in the Prezewalski's horse enclosure, along with the Bactrian camels and elk.

jayjds2 likes this.
  6. Alex Bensky

Alex Bensky Well-Known Member 10+ year member

It is listed as 125 acres. I don't know if that includes the parking lots. But if you take a look at a map, you'll see there wasn't much room to expand the elephant exhibit. The bear dens could use upgrading.

7. Miss Gulch

Miss Gulch Member

I just added a few pictures of the newly expanded North American River Otter exhibit from my visit yesterday. Please excuse the dark edges from my lens hood; I wanted to retain as much of the images as possible.

snowleopard likes this.
  8. Miss Gulch

Miss Gulch Member

Small update from yesterday's visit:

1) One of the two drills died last week.

2) We have another camel and yesterday was her first day out in the exhibit. From the signage: "Welcome our newest arrival, Rusi, a female Bactrian camel born at 11:40 p.m. on July 31, 2017, to parents Suren and Rusty."