Join our zoo community

Detroit Zoo Detroit Zoo

Discussion in 'United States' started by okapikpr, 14 May 2008.

1. Cat-Man

Cat-Man Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Looking to visit next month - any advice? Is it safe? What’s the best way to get there by public transport?

2. Bisonblake

Bisonblake Well-Known Member

You might encounter some construction with the new tiger exhibit. Also the Polk Penguin Conservation Center is closing September 9th for renovations. I would say it is really safe to visit as it is located outside of downtown Detroit. I don’t know about public transportation because most of just brings you around the downtown area, so you might need to get an Uber.

You might also want to get their early.

Last edited: 29 Aug 2019
  3. Rothko

Rothko Member

The new tiger exhibit is coming along nicely. Looks to be nearly done. I still haven't heard anything on an opening date. I did hear from an employee there that there will now be three tigers (there was previously only one Amur tiger).

20190823_163948.jpg 20190823_163950.jpg

evilmonkey239 and Kifaru Bwana like this.
  4. Bisonblake

This looks great! The two new ones are two males from the Columbus Zoo and they are both about 2 years old. I heard this from my camp counselor when I did the Safari Camp this summer. I wouldn’t be surprised if it opens later this week or next week.

evilmonkey239 and Kifaru Bwana like this.
  5. Rothko

Rothko Member

Just got an email from the Detroit Zoo that the Devereaux Tiger Forest will open September 13th.

6. Milwaukee Man

Milwaukee Man Well-Known Member 10+ year member

birdsandbats and Kifaru Bwana like this.
  7. TinoPup

TinoPup Well-Known Member 5+ year member

When does Polk open again?

8. Andrew_NZP

Andrew_NZP Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Detroit Zoo’s Polk Penguin Conservation Center to Close Temporarily Beginning September 9 for Repairs Due to Faulty Waterproofing by Construction Contractor - Detroit Zoo

TinoPup likes this.
  9. TinoPup

TinoPup Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Kifaru Bwana and StoppableSan like this.
  10. Bisonblake

The Devereaux Tiger Forest is now open! There’s a new video of the two new tigers Nikolai and Aleksei exploring their habitat on Twitter and Instagram. Here’s the twitter link: Detroit Zoo on Twitter

Kifaru Bwana, snowleopard and TinoPup like this.
  11. Bisonblake

The Detroit Zoo has just introduced a new wolf into the pack! Her name is Renner and she is three years old. This is great news to hear especially after Waziyata died in June. I really hope these two end up breeding because I would love to see some wolf pups

12. MIZOOenthusiast070128

MIZOOenthusiast070128 Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I haven't posted in a long while, but, I have great news. One of the volunteers told me that the Detroit Zoo is getting pronghorn. She may have been wrong, but she said she was pretty sure the pronghorn were already at the zoo off exhibit. She also said she has to attend a meeting regarding the pronghorn in the next few weeks. I'm excited!

13. Kifaru Bwana

Kifaru Bwana Well-Known Member 15+ year member

These the central NA ones or Californian Peninsular for which AZA administers an SSP!

14. birdsandbats

birdsandbats Well-Known Member 5+ year member

The AZA's Pronghorn SSP says that zoos should obtain the subspecies appropriate to the local climate, so assuming they are following this guideline, central NA.

15. evilmonkey239

evilmonkey239 Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Will they be moving into the bison paddock?

16. MIZOOenthusiast070128

MIZOOenthusiast070128 Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I asked the volunteer but she wasn't sure. She thought they might be with the elands and ostrich, but they live on different continents. Though when I said that pronghorn live with bison in the Midwest, she then said the pronghorn would almost certainly be with the bison then. She also said the bison could easily share their exhibit with other animals, so it would seem that the pronghorn will be with the bison. I believe there was a short period where the bison shared the exhibit with at least one giant anteater. Also, to recap, she did say that she has a meeting she has to go to regarding pronghorns, and she also thought the pronghorns were already on the grounds in quarantine.

Bisonblake and StoppableSan like this.
  17. Gondwana

Gondwana Well-Known Member

Detroit Zoo doesn't seem too hung up on geography. In recent years they have kept fallow deer in both the eland and guanaco yards, and for a while had North American elk in the camel yard. Last time I visited a variety of birds from different continents were mixed in one of the big bird yards as well. That being said, plenty of zoos mix their pronghorn with bison, including relatively nearby Columbus, so that mix does make sense.

18. birdsandbats

Is there no longer?

19. Gondwana

Gondwana Well-Known Member

Last time I was there the only other animal in the camel exhibit was the white-lipped deer/elk hybrid. The Przewalski's horses were not there either.

20. birdsandbats

When was the last time you were there?