Join our zoo community

Detroit Zoo Detroit Zoo

Discussion in 'United States' started by okapikpr, 14 May 2008.

1. evilmonkey239

evilmonkey239 Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Yeah I might be wrong but I think that it’s only been this decade that they’ve even officially divided the zoo up into geographically-themed areas.

StoppableSan likes this.
  2. Gondwana

Gondwana Well-Known Member

I was there in August.

3. birdsandbats

birdsandbats Well-Known Member 5+ year member

That's the same month I was there and there was an American Elk in that exhibit then.

Gondwana likes this.
  4. Bisonblake

Bisonblake Well-Known Member

There’s a baby red panda!!!!

Kifaru Bwana and birdsandbats like this.
  5. Alex Bensky

Alex Bensky Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Detroit is not known for good public transit but it is possible to get to the zoo by bus. However, we have a screwy system and if you're downtown you'd have to take a Detroit bus to Eight Mile Rd where there's a station and then transfer to the suburban bus, which will take you right to the zoo. The Detroit-owned system is not particularly good but the buses run regularly on Woodward and at least during the day time are perfectly safe. (The suburban bus does go all the way but only during certain hours.)

The area around the zoo is perfectly safe and the Woodward bus, or a good walk, will take you to downtown Royal Oak, about a mile away, where there are some good restaurants and brewpubs.

Ferndale is about a mile south along the bus route and also has some good restaurants and a decent brewpub.

Kifaru Bwana likes this.
  6. Bisonblake

Pronghorns are now on exhibit!!!!! They haven’t been announced yet on social media or anything that I know of, but I did see a post on Instagram from a photographer of the zoo. If you want to see it yourself her handle is @jenrhora

7. Bisonblake

Unfortunately they don’t live with the bison. They live in the large South American exhibit with the guanacos, peccaries, pelicans, and rheas

evilmonkey239 and StoppableSan like this.
  8. evilmonkey239

That’s too bad. At least pronghorn do live with peccaries in some parts of the Southwest.

Bisonblake and EsserWarrior like this.
  9. Kifaru Bwana

Kifaru Bwana Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Can't they get organised on NA speciesline and exhibit fo them. Or is iT temporary?

evilmonkey239 likes this.
  10. Bisonblake

I hope it is just temporary. I have only seen the one picture of them and that’s it. Maybe they are just acclimating them to the weather and the surroundings before the put them in the bison paddock (of course that is just a guess).

evilmonkey239 and Kifaru Bwana like this.
  11. Gondwana

Gondwana Well-Known Member

I would not be surprised if it is permanent. The zoo's field exhibits have increasingly mixed species from different continents, so it would not be anything new for them to stretch geography in such a way. From an animal management standpoint, some zoos have found bison/pronghorn mixes to increase stress levels in the pronghorn, and at Detroit the guanaco exhibit also has a larger barn and an off exhibit holding yard that is lacking in the bison exhibit. I agree it would be nice if they could find a way to exhibit the pronghorn near the other North America animals though!

12. birdsandbats

birdsandbats Well-Known Member 5+ year member

When did the peccaries go on exhibit? What species?

13. evilmonkey239

Well, looks like my family may be visiting the zoo this weekend. Hopefully we’ll get to see the new pronghorn, and I’m also hoping to see the peccaries which seem to have arrived since the time of my most recent visit in August of last year.