Join our zoo community

Chester Zoo Developments/Visit - 04/03/2010

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by SMR, 4 Mar 2010.

1. ^Chris^

^Chris^ Well-Known Member

Ah, thanks. I did think it looked like that old building in the background, but I couldn't work out the barrier on the right hand side. I guess it's changed since I was there.

2. EvilKittie

EvilKittie Well-Known Member

This red panda is the male born 2007

3. ZooLeopard

ZooLeopard Well-Known Member

Cool thanks EvilKittie

4. Nisha

Nisha Well-Known Member 10+ year member

They had 2:0 born 2007. They both went to Trotters in Cumbria before one was sent to the Birmingham Nature Park to make up a pair. Think the second is still up there.

5. EvilKittie

EvilKittie Well-Known Member

Cotswold Wildlife Park and Gardens according to their site its the 2007 male

6. chesterfan

chesterfan Active Member

Haven't posted for a very long time, so will probably have loads to say!

I never liked the sea lion enclosure. It didn't offer a particularly great viewing opportunity and seemed outdated. As a regular visitor I very rarely stopped at this exhibit. I can't wait to see how they've updated it for the otters.

Agree, yet another play area seems unnecessary , especially since it will be so close to the arc playground. Also, not sure how the Bongos will appreciate loads of noisy kids right next door. I would have thought they would need more peaceful surroundings.

I visited Chester a few weeks ago, and I have to agree with most of the posts. The outdated exhibits have long needed to be removed and i now have a real sense of anticipation as to how they will be updated or replaced. It is a shame that a lot of the animals have had to go off show, but i guess we all need to have patience. Judging by all the latest updates and additions whatever is planned in the future will be worth waiting for.

I like what is planned for the tropical realm. The stand alone 'glass house' exhibits are such a great idea! I have never seen anything like this ever before. I think it is so innovative and will bring to life whatever is planned to live inside. I love how the surrounding foliage and branches are mirrored inside the exhibit, I think this is the way forward for immersive reptile displays rather than just animals in a glass fronted box in the wall! When i visited they were empty. Iwonder if there are plans to construct loads more all over the tropical realm? I hope so. Also, this would be great to see in Hof A too.

On a final note, when I visited recently I was really delighted how active and engaged all the animals were. Apart from the spectacled bears & Bornean Orangs(nowhere to be seen - what a surprise!) I saw every species being really mobile, using the space in their exhibits, running around and just looking really contented. Highlights were jaguars/rhino (both species)/Birds of Paradise / elephants.i think chester is doing a great job of enrichment and general husbandry.

7. LeeMac13

LeeMac13 Well-Known Member

I just wandered whether anybody else had spotted the chain link fence seperating the two spectacled bears? I assume Sanjay has been up to his old tricks again and the keepers have separeted them for Franka's safety. Does anybody know what the plans are for the bears?

Maybe they need to bring in a new male given what happened with Loja and now Sanjay also seems to be showing aggressive signs towards Franka too.

8. Maguari

Maguari Never could get the hang of Thursdays. 15+ year member Premium Member

That fence has been there for months as part of the introduction of the two bears. When I was last there we spoke briefly with the keeper about the bears and the introduction is very much a work in progress, but all the signs were apparently good and the bears were paying each other positive attention through the fence.

Don't assume Sangay has been causing problems again becuase it's simply not the case. One man's Internet speculation becomes another man's fact very quickly around here.

The keeper we spoke to was was perfectly optimistic about Sangay and Franka's future.

9. LeeMac13

LeeMac13 Well-Known Member

I'm beginining to wander if I should bother posting on here anymore. As the majority of questions I ask, photographs I post or information I provide is met with a response I would expect as if I was a child sitting in one of my classes. A number of members on here speak to other users in a terrible manner on some occasions. Whilst I know where are all adults here there is such a thing as common courtesy.

10. Maguari

Maguari Never could get the hang of Thursdays. 15+ year member Premium Member

Well, I'm sorry If I offended you but I just wanted to make the point that you'd made a massive assumption there with very little to base it on. And I didn't want us to spend the next year having people post about the rumours of these bears having to be separated when it's not the case.

Don't stop posting - as always its a case of the more the merrier round here! :)

11. zoogiraffe

zoogiraffe Well-Known Member

As Maguari said please don`t stop posting.
    As for the terrible manners I`m afraid that just some peoples nature and there is nothing that anybody can do to change that we just have to get on live with it and carry on.
    Finally like I said at the start please don`t stop posting,if you are not sure about something don`t post it or at least try to check out what you think may be the reason with somebody else first as some people on here do know the answers we just may not be able to say on the forum,this is one reason Tim Rowlands has offered to do his walk and talk with zoochat members because of some of the guess work people have been doing and coming up with the completly the wrong answer as they don`t have the full facts.

Last edited: 8 Apr 2010