Join our zoo community

Australian Reptile Park Devil Ranch To Be Established!!!

Discussion in 'Australia' started by thorney_devil, 17 Oct 2008.

1. thorney_devil

thorney_devil Well-Known Member

Extract from Newsletter:

‘Devil’ Ranch? What’s that got to do with python breeding?
    John and Marilyn, in addition to their Snake Ranch duties, continue to devote a large portion of their efforts to the various projects of the Australian Reptile Park, where they are based. During the last two years this has involved an enormous amount of effort directed at the establishment of a mainland population of the Tasmanian devil, partnering with other Australian zoos in the Tasmanian-based ‘Save the Tasmanian Devil Program’. In particular, ARP has been committed to the development of ‘Devil Ranch’ - which will see the long-term maintenance of up to 1,000 devils in groups of 4 to 8 individuals maintained in very large enclosures. The Reptile Park is celebrating the recent acquisition of a property for the project, and now faces the challenge of finding the necessary funding required to bring the project to life. For insight into the project, check out: http://www.tassiedevil.com.au/docs/DevilNews_Sep08.pdf and Appeal for ?devil? country - Local News - News - General - Walcha News
    To contribute to the funding of the development of the vital mainland insurance population, go to FAME - Foundation for Australia's Most Endangered Species Inc. .

Sounds like a awesome project! Saving the aussie devils...

2. dragon(ele)nerd

dragon(ele)nerd Well-Known Member

I agree an awesome facility just for Tassy devils, hopes it is also serves well as a rescue selter as well for those that have been injured

3. MARK

MARK Well-Known Member

Sounds like a great idea

4. djaeon

djaeon Well-Known Member

That's great. The devil's need it. I hope everything goes well and they get the funding needed.

5. zooworker

zooworker Well-Known Member

to be honest with you i think that it's a nightmare for the situation at the moment. Centralising a population affected by a highly contagious disease, usually a big no no in quarantine.

6. dragon(ele)nerd

Interesting good point, what are the main dieseases that a devil can pass on or run risk to?

7. zooworker

zooworker Well-Known Member

well the highly contagious facial tumor is the reason the safty net population was established. I just feel centralising the populationg is running to much of a risk in such a dangerous situation

8. dragon(ele)nerd

I can see somewhat your concern up to 1,000 devils in one place seems like something that could produce something unpredictable,