Join our zoo community

United Kingdom Devilfish's December day trips from London

Discussion in 'Events & Meetups' started by devilfish, 4 Dec 2012.

1. devilfish

devilfish Well-Known Member

Hi everyone,

I'm bringing my car to London next week (10-12th December) and I have a few days off. I'll be driving from either West or Central London to a few zoos. My itinerary is still flexible, but here's a rough idea:

Monday:
    Marwell
    Maybe also Bournemouth Oceanarium & Gardens Aviary
    If ridiculously ahead of time, potentially also Monkey World

Tuesday:
    Blue Reef Aquarium Hastings
    Port Lympne

Wednesday:
    Unsure - maybe a quick Buckinghamshire trip? (e.g. Waddesdon + St. Tiggywinkles +/- NHM at Tring)

As things stand, the car will be quite empty, but why not try and fill it with zoochatters?

Let me know if you're interested in coming along. :D

2. devilfish

I've had a very interesting few days. Almost all to plan, and quite fun too. Although I'm now out of London, I added a day at Whipsnade today and tomorrow might visit Birmingham too.

I'll upload a few photos soon.

3. PAT

PAT Well-Known Member 15+ year member

It's great that you have so many attractions in London. I was there quite a few times (for a couple of weeks if you add it all up) last year and never came close to seeing everything that I wanted to.

4. devilfish

Actually all of these zoos/aquaria are some distance from London - they're quite difficult/expensive to get to by public transport in winter, so I decided to take my car down and visit them for my first time. (I made it to all mentioned collections apart from Monkey World.)

5. PAT

PAT Well-Known Member 15+ year member

The UK's so small that I just expect anywhere to be within an hour from anywhere else. ;) And I know what you mean about difficult to reach with public transport. I looked up the route to Whipsnade but it took quite a while and when I went to Twycross I ended up on a small community bus with a bunch of elderly people.