Join our zoo community

Dholes in Captivity (North America)

Discussion in 'United States' started by Coelacanth18, 17 Jun 2015.

1. Coelacanth18

Coelacanth18 Well-Known Member Premium Member 5+ year member

Does anybody know what the status is for dholes in North American zoos? As far as I can tell, there are 4 facilities that currently hold them: San Diego Zoo SP, Minnesota Zoo, Toronto Zoo, and The Wilds in Ohio. I read an article from 2015 (link at bottom of post) that lists SDWAP as having 20 dholes, which is apparently the largest population in North America. 20 have been born since 2003, at least four of which were still there as of a couple months ago.

So are there any other facilities that are interested in keeping them? Are there any plans to import animals from Europe, or have they already done that? If they're breeding them, I would assume they're not a phase-out. But I haven't heard anything about the AZA having a particular interest in them, or wanting to expand the number of participating institutions.

Link to article: http://http://blogs.sandiegozoo.org/2015/04/30/feeling-confident-in-his-new-digs-dhole-explores-new-habitat-at-san-diego-zoo-safari-park/

2. TZFan

TZFan Well-Known Member 10+ year member

I think you are right that there are just 4 facilities with them. Toronto no longer has a breeding pack. They have two elderly females and the zoo has no plans to replace them. I'm not as familiar with the other zoos packs.

The AZA believes there is institutional interest in them and would like to see the population expand. There were plans to import from Europe but I don't know if those plans have been successful. New blood will be needed if the population is to keep going. Many of the dholes in captivity are related to Toronto's original pack to varying degrees.

JVM likes this.
  3. Jaxton

Jaxton Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Hi! I know this is an old thread, but can anybody update me on the status of Dholes in North America. Like individuals at certain locations.

4. TinoPup

TinoPup Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I think only Minnesota and the Wilds keep them now.

5. Hyak_II

Hyak_II Well-Known Member 10+ year member

San Diego Zoo Safari Park still holds a breeding pack and Zoo Miami recently added a bachelor group as well.

JVM likes this.
  6. TZFan

TZFan Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Toronto is now off the list of zoo's with dhole. The last dhole died sometime in the last year and there are zero plans to bring them back.