Join our zoo community

San Diego Zoo Safari Park dholes

Discussion in 'United States' started by Ituri, 29 Aug 2008.

1. Ituri

Ituri Well-Known Member 15+ year member

The San Diego Zoo's website has updated maps posted for both the zoo and the park. The former lion exhibit in Cat Canyon next to the tigers is now listed as the future Chinese dhole exhibit.

2. mstickmanp

mstickmanp Well-Known Member

Nice, that exhibit is big and the dholes will be a great addition to the park. I wonder where they will get the Dholes from.

3. Ituri

They already have a breeding group that lives off exhibit

4. okapikpr

okapikpr Well-Known Member

5 Dholes were imported from the Moscow Zoo in 2001.

5. mstickmanp

mstickmanp Well-Known Member

Oh yeah, ISIS show 3.2 for the park, but it also shows 3.2 for the zoo. Does the zoo also have them?

6. jusko88

jusko88 Well-Known Member

Are the dholes on exhibit now? Im going out to San diego 1st wk of june and would love to see them. thks matt

7. Ituri

Nope. It would appear the plans have changed.

8. Arizona Docent

Arizona Docent Well-Known Member 15+ year member

And that huge beautiful exhibit remains empty. Personally I think they should put lions back in there (I mean a second group besides the ones at Lion Camp). Or what about african wild dogs?

9. Ituri

They could go old school Wild Animal Park and import some Asian lions for it....

10. jusko88

Do you think there waiting to put the dulled on exhibit when the new tiger exhibit opens?

11. DavidBrown

DavidBrown Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Considering that the dholes have been in San Diego for over a decade now it doesn't seem likely that they are putting them on exhibit at all.

It is also not clear if and when the new tiger exhibit will be built. The plans for the Asian exhibits at the Safari Park seem to be on indefinite hold while they attempt to convert the place to some kind of theme park with ziplines and very expensive personal safaris that replace the excellent all-access wildlife tours that they used to have with the monorail.

12. jusko88

Sry idk what happened spelling typo. dulled I ment dholes. Thks David for responding. I just don't understand why they don't put them out. Let people see this special canid species. Don't they have like 9 dholes too at the safari park. If so why keep so many behind the scenes.

13. DavidBrown

DavidBrown Well-Known Member 15+ year member

I have wondered this also for a long time. Clearly they can be displayed successfully at other zoos. It mystifies me why San Diego keeps them off exhibit. Presumably they have a husbandry or behavioral reason of some kind.

Last edited: 26 Apr 2012
  14. Ituri

From what I've read that their animals are extremely skittish and unlike other facilities with this species in North America, the park has a breeding group.

In regards to David's post about the park in general, the thing I find dismaying and frankly, insulting, is how the business model of the park has changed to where you are constantly bombarded with sales pitches for extremely expensive upcharge attractions.

15. fkalltheway

fkalltheway Well-Known Member 15+ year member

16. Pacarana

Pacarana Well-Known Member

Thank you for the information fkalltheway! I did not realize that there were other dholes in the US outside the Wilds and Minnesota. Good news to hear about the recent breeding efforts too.

17. Ituri

18. jbnbsn99

jbnbsn99 Well-Known Member

It's viewable, but only a quarter of it or so. You won't actually see the animals.

19. Arizona Docent

Arizona Docent Well-Known Member 15+ year member

As of my visit last week, they are still not visible and there is no timeline as to when or if they will be (based on conversations with a volunteer). As stated, the old tiger exhibit is not currently visible to the public. The end of the path (by new tigers) has a barricade saying future Asian plains and presumably at some point the path will be redone to add new Asian species and the dholes in the old tiger exhibit will be visible. This would also be nice because you would be able to walk from there to the lower part of the park without having to do a long backtrack into Nairobi Village as you do now.

20. Shellheart

Shellheart Well-Known Member 10+ year member

I wish they would do one of two things,either simply just connect the 2 ends of the park (as it is rather a pain to reach condor ridge and Tiger trail and then having to double all the way back),or connect the 2 ends and double Journey into Africa with a journey through the Asian plains,which I know all of us have been hoping for since the old monorail closed. I still think that should have been one of the first things they did instead of bombarding us with ziplines and adding more to Journey Into Africa (as much as I do like the little vulture exhibit and the wild ass exhibit). Now that I'm moving away I get the strangest feeling they'll finally do just that.