Join our zoo community

Open Did the maps just update?

Discussion in 'ZooChat Community & Website' started by birdsandbats, 21 Feb 2018.

1. birdsandbats

birdsandbats Well-Known Member 5+ year member

This might seem like a stupid question, but I was looking at the maps recently, and noticed the pins at the locations of zoos now look different. Did they recently update, or is it just me?

2. Simon Hampel

Simon Hampel Administrator Staff Member 20+ year member

They do look slightly different - a thin white outline around the marker. That's about the only change I noticed though?

3. birdsandbats

birdsandbats Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Yes, that's it. What caused this change? Did they update during the new server migration? Is it some sort of weird glitch?

4. Simon Hampel

Simon Hampel Administrator Staff Member 20+ year member

Those markers are using the Google Maps API and are a part of the Google Maps interface - so it's not something I directly control. I may be able to change the styling of them (I haven't looked to closely at that), but at this point, any changes has come from Google's end.

I'm guessing the outline is to help with visibility against backgrounds of similar colours.

For example, if I had chosen a blue marker, it may become less visible when placed over water, so an outline helps there.

birdsandbats likes this.