Join our zoo community

ZSL London Zoo Did the Round House ever hold elephants?

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by Ned, 15 Jan 2019.

Tags:
  1. Ned

Ned Well-Known Member 10+ year member

I was look at the web page below which claims the Tecton gorilla house was at one time converted to house elephants. I know there was some kind of subterranean elephant house in the middle gardens but thought it a separate structure to the Round House. I'm assuming the article has got it wrong but would be interested to know for sure.

Listed Buildings And Architecture At London Zoo

2. Tim May

Tim May Well-Known Member 15+ year member Premium Member

Yes, surprisingly, the Tecton Gorilla House (Round House) was used for temporary accommodation for young elephants during World War II.

The subterranean elephant stables were a different structure and elephants were housed there until the Casson Pavilion opened in the mid 1960s.

3. Pertinax

Pertinax Well-Known Member 15+ year member

From my childhood memories the Elephants were located to the right of the tunnel (nearest the Aquarium), after you entered the middle gardens. I never remember the indoor area though as it was offshow and partly underground. Do you have any further details, or a plan of it?

4. Tim May

Like you I have childhood memories of the elephant enclosure being roughly were the Clore Pavilion now is. The elephants around this time were "Dicksie" (African); "Toto" (African); "Rusty" (Asian) and "Lakshmi" (Asian).

As mentioned, the indoor accommodation was underground; I imagine these subterranean stables were far from satisfactory.

Unfortunately, I never saw the off-exhibit indoor dens and have no plans of them. The zoo's vet Oliver Graham-Jones describes them in his book "First Catch Your Tiger".

Pertinax likes this.
  5. Pertinax

I remember all four of these Elephants well. I must have seen them in the old enclosure, as well as in the Casson after they moved. I believe Lakshmi was presented to the zoo by the naturalist E.P. Gee. or alternatively she came from Rotterdam Zoo, I have never been quite sure which was correct.

Tim May likes this.
  6. Tim May

I think that London Zoo acquired "Lakshmi" from E. P. Gee in 1953 and she was sent to Rotterdam in 1980.

Incidentally E. P. Gee (author of "Wildlife of India") also presented the zoo with a Temminck's golden cat that I saw many times, originally in the old North Mammal House and subsequently in the old Lion House.

Pertinax likes this.
  7. Ned

Ned Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Thanks, that's interesting to know but difficult to imagine how it worked.

8. Pertinax

There is a photo of Lakshmi in the book (The Wildlife of India) as being the youngest calf in a small elephant family captured in a 'Keddah'. Which is why I was sure that was her origin but sometime ago I had a discussion with someone on here who insisted she came from Rotterdam- which is actually where she was sent to.

I remember the golden cat also. He was male and Gee had named him 'Tishi'. He explains in the book how he came to send him to London Zoo.

Last edited: 15 Jan 2019
    Tim May likes this.
  9. Tim May

Agreed it couldn't have been easy to operate but they were only young elephants and it was only a temporary arrangement.

I have seen an old photograph of two small elephants in the outdoor cage of this building

It is several decades since I last read Gee's book; I'll have to read it again. If I remember correctly, the golden cat had been castrated before arriving at the zoo, so there was no point in the zoo sourcing a mate for him.

Pertinax likes this.