Join our zoo community

Dierenpark Zie-ZOO Dierenpark Zie-ZOO News 2018

Discussion in 'Netherlands' started by vogelcommando, 11 Jan 2018.

1. Mr. Zootycoon

Mr. Zootycoon Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Hamerkop, sarus crane, violet turaco and kea joined the collection. :)

2. AWP

AWP Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Today I did a rare small mammals tour through the south of the country with Volkel as first stop.

It was quite a difference compared to my last visit in 2015. The size of the park tripled or something like that. I really liked the new, spacious enclosures for the spotted hyenas and dholes (with cubs).

I saw Yucatan squirrels for the first time and got some good photos of cusimane and slender mongoose. Unfortunately viscacha didn't show, as wel as kowari (but I saw that species already at my previous visit).

Kifaru Bwana likes this.
  3. PicanBird

PicanBird Well-Known Member

For the first time in Dutch History we have Rocky Mountain Goats in a dutch zoo. Zie-Zoo has taken in a young male and female that are currently on display. Very exciting if I say so myself

4. migdog

migdog Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I agree! I saw rocky mountain goats at Tierpark Berlin and fell in love with them. I will definitely be visiting Zie Zoo again next year :)

PicanBird and Mr. Zootycoon like this.
  5. Mr. Zootycoon

Another new species is Darwin's rhea, while the White-naped cranes left and the last Great grey owl died from the usutu virus. "Egidius" the Steppe eagle is also back, in the former enclosure of the Ferruginous hawks, while the Violet turaco left for a German zoo.

Kifaru Bwana likes this.
  6. ralph

ralph Well-Known Member 10+ year member

* Yellow-spotted hyraxes are new as well, they replaced the Cape hyrax.
    * Slender mongooses moved back behind the scenes.
    * The Aviary that used to house white-cheeked turaco and grey parrot now houses crested dove and Edward's pheasant. Turaco and parrot not seen today.
    * New bushdog arrived and a partner for it will arrive soon as well
    * Construction on the monkey islands have started
    * New enclosures for binturong and yellow-throated marten are still under construction as well.
    * New enclosure being constructed on the site of the former white-naped crane enclosure (future inhabitants still a secret)

lintworm likes this.
  7. Mr. Zootycoon

The slender mongooses moved out because of the love birds that currently inhabit the enclosure (one of the few exceptions where a common species replaces a rare one in Zie-Zoo). The grey parrot lives in the same enclosure now.