Join our zoo community

Chester Zoo Diffiycult Species Too See At Chester

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by ZooMania, 15 Feb 2008.

1. ZooMania

ZooMania Well-Known Member

After Paulkarli08 said in another thread that he had never seen a Spectacled Bear at Chester, it got me thinking what other species are hard to see at Chester.

Spectacled Bears - Personally i've managed to see a bear on most of my visits
    Bush Dog - Very hard to see in their old enclosure and their current one
    Maned Wolves - Never Saw One
    Cotton Topped Tamarins - I Dont think i saw one of these either
    Aloatran Gentle Lemurs - Very rarely don i see one
    Squirrels - I've never had much luck in seeing these guys either

2. CZJimmy

CZJimmy Well-Known Member

Red Pandas: during summer they are at the top of the trees hidden by the leaves. The sunlight hurts your eyes looking upwards as well.
    Jaguars: they are relatively hard to see on occasions
    Bornean Orangs: never seem to be out in the new enclosure
    Miniature Monkeys: Can't seem to see these guys outdoors regularly
    Sand Lizards - Masters of hiding ;)
    Mallorcan Midwife Toads - Similar
    Kea - I rarely saw these

3. Writhedhornbill

Writhedhornbill Well-Known Member

Haha!!

I have seen all of these at Chester (I see the Red Bellied Squirrels every visit)
    Regularly see the bush dogs (When i get up there!)

Other species that are hard to see are:

The elongated Tortoise in the Elephant house (They have now left the zoo (Only ever saw one which was hidden under the log near the little pool))

Black lion tamarin (Saw them when they first arrived, but have not seen them since The end of August..)

Livingstone's fruit bat (Very hard to distinguish from the Rodrigues, but I think I've seen one..)

Palawan peacock pheasant (They were virtually impossible to see in the tropical realm (I saw one male) but I have seen them in the bird corridor (Best place in the zoo to see them) and also in the Islands in Danger exhibit (They my still be there in the back BoP aviary..)

Socorro dove (Hardly ever saw them in the St Lucia amazon aviary, but I may have more luck in their new aviary..)

The rodent's in the Secret world of the Okapi can be hard to see, but I have seen all species regularly!

Splendid Parakeet (There is just a female at the zoo, and she tends to hide in a bush at one end of the aviary..)

There are more, and I'll post them when I remember them!

4. Tempest

Tempest Active Member

The black lion tamarins are the ones I never see in Miniature Monkeys.

I suppose I could say the Livingstone Fruit Bats, but that's more the fact that I can't tell them apart from all the Rodrigues ones.

The Anoa... 'cause they're hidden away on their island.

Philippine Spotted Deer can be hard to spot, though I have seen them a couple of times next to the 'Asian Plains' enclosure.

5. ZooMania

Oh Yes, I Completly forgot about The sand lizards, they are impossible to see. Im think i've seen the splendid parakeet i have a picture somewhere. As for the mini monkeys, the pied tamarins are easy to see and so are the marmosets but the lion tamarins are a bit more difficult

6. Tempest

Tempest Active Member

Ah... I've repeated a couple from other people. That's what happens when you take a while to construct a post.

The sand lizards and mallorcan midwife toads (as mentioned up thread) are possibly the most annoying for me because I've seen many of the species mentioned on this thread at some point either at Chester or somewhere else (socorro doves can be easily observed at London Zoo)... but I've never ever seen these two species I don't think.

7. zoogiraffe

zoogiraffe Well-Known Member

How can you lot have problems telling the difference between the Rodrigues and Livingstons Flying Foxes the size difference is very noticeable when you see them side by side which i`ve done on every visit since they arrived

8. Tempest

Tempest Active Member

To be fair it was only me who said I wasn't sure I'd seen the Livingstone's.
    But you see all I know is that they're both large species, and that there are large bats everywhere in the house.
    I just can't be sure if I've seen a Livingtone's fruit bat or just another Rodrigues (which I think are much more numerous in the house).

Hevden likes this.
  9. bongorob

bongorob Well-Known Member 15+ year member

I have never seen the Mauritius Fodys.

10. CZJimmy

Also add warthogs to the list (however I saw one outside on thursday!)

Also i've noticed that the otters hide away a lot more than they used to and the coatis in the bear enclosure only ever appear when food is available (they can be vaguely spotted in the distance on the poles at the back).

11. ZooMania

Ive only ever seen the coatis in the bear enclosure in the back on the poles, its not a great enclosure for visitirs who want to see the bears and coatis.

12. bongorob

bongorob Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Apparently this is a common complaint from Chester visitors. The bears are fed at random times to get them to be more active, but it doesn't seem to be working.

13. CZJimmy

Yes, I've heard many people telling that to those surveyors at the exit about the bear enclosure...

14. Ara

Ara Well-Known Member

Stop it, you're killing me! I'm SO envious!
    You Brits are unbelievably fortunate with the sheer range and variety of species on display over there!

I'm coming over as soon as I can afford it!

15. taun

taun Well-Known Member

I used to see the bears regularly untill the female arrived. Since then i have seen them only a handfull of times including the times a was a zoo keeper for the day.

16. Kifaru Bwana

Kifaru Bwana Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Let us just say you cannot beat nature! :D

I personally feel it is a miracle when seeing some species in zoos. It makes for a better experience when you have to discover them!

17. Writhedhornbill

Writhedhornbill Well-Known Member

We'll be waiting Ara, with baby okapis:D

18. MARK

MARK Well-Known Member

Thats ok Jo, I wont tell you about the three species of Cockatoo that fly around in my garden every day ;)

19. Pertinax

Pertinax Well-Known Member 15+ year member

.... like Galahs- they cost about £1600-2000 over here- that's if you can find one for sale..;)

20. PAT

PAT Well-Known Member 15+ year member

I found a sick one in my backyard and looked after and in two days it was blimbing the wire of our aviary and calling "Marge" but their is no one in my family called Marge. So i advertised a lost pet galah in three local papers and on the local radio station and no one owned up so i still have him.